By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you agree with companies trying to rid used game sales?

Do you agree with companies trying to rid used game sales?

Yes 51 18.15%

No 167 59.43%

A little 34 12.10%

a lot but not completely 28 9.96%

Total:280

digital only copies or the need to register the game online.
physical copies of new games will no longer exist.

stopping second hand games will infringe upon an individual's freedom of choice. no longer will second hand games be an option. new game sales will be reduced and revenue will also be reduced. pre-owned games actually add to the video game industry/market and they also lead to increase sales of new games.

Around the Network

it is a consumer's democratic right of freedom and choice to freely decide at what price he/she wants to purchase a game or not purchase. full price for a new game, discounted for a pre-owned game or discounted for a new game on sale.

I have personally never played any games online so the online pass thing has never bothered me a bit.

aavidbacon said:
Kasz216 said:

No.  What people tend to shortsightedly miss is that second hand markets are actually shown to stimulate the primary market because markets aren't vaccuums.

People who go in and but a game, then later resell it, knew from the start that they always had the option to sell back said game.  As such it's factored into that person's purchasing behavior making him more likely to buy the game new because he will value each game he's interested in a bit more because he knows he can get some of that cash back on the backend.

By eliminating that secondary market, said customers may not purchase games first hand, or just wait for deals when publishers are going to lose money.

Resale value is a feature.

It's a lot like returns... your far more likely to take a risk on a product if you can return it.  Your far more likely to take a risk on a game if you know you can get some of that investment back. 

Me?  I don't sell back games... i'm an archivist and love going back and playing my games...  but any economist will tell you the secondary market helps, it doesn't hurt.  Besides, what about those people who beat a game once and are done for it forever... what are the chances they keep buying games?

An amusing paralel with the used book industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/technology/28scene.html?ex=1280203200&en=33765024cbf62d4c&ei=5090&partner=techdirt&emc=rss

This is my exactly my point of view. The used market fuels the first hand one and have the actual effect of reducing the perception of price to the consumer who sells his game after finishing it.

Take a $59,99 game. If Ihave an option of selling it on amazon or e-bay for $39, the game itself would have cost me only 20 bucks, and I will probably used it on new games.  There're gamers who doesn't accept the price tag for new games. When they buy used games, their moneys goes to guys who usually do that and that will use this money to buy new games.

There are probably cases when people wouldn't even buy a console for lack of a used market since he doesn't feel like paying $59,99 for a game. The used market allows for a kind of price differentiation, where people pay more or less what they feel rigth and the market is bigger because of that.

If they succeed in killing the used market, it would shrink considerably in value, because the big guys would have to drop pricesw in order to mantain the same level of revenue. Bye bye $59,99 games.

New IPs would be rare, since most wouldn't risk buying something unknown, since you wouldn't be able to rent, borrow or sell back. Gamers as a group would lose with this asinine decision. Hope they fail.

So this consumer that is so value oriented that they would sell a game they like, only buys new games for what reason? He feels bad to be saving so much money? Why wouldn't he buy on ebay for 40$ and resell it for 40$?

No, it's not a proper measure to get rid of used sales. I as a user I want total freedom over my game. If I played the game, beat it, and then want to sale used I should do it without restriction.

As I never had a Gamecube (and now I have a Wii) I'm buying from e-bay the best gamecube games used of course. What would it happen if the Wii has this prevention to play used games? I would be pretty much screwed because gamecube games new are nowhere to be found at a reasonable price.

So yeah, to me the used market is not benefical for big companies but this happens with everything and I don't see companies (other than game's companies) whine about it.

Note: In my country a new PS3/Xbox/Wii game (and recent title) can be as much of 500 Pesos which is roughly 125 dollars. While the same used game (we don't have Gamestop) is 200 Pesos (47 dollars)

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

show me where it says bolded. Specifically about the couple weeks of release in a complaint.
And I disagree. A game on the used market will continue to sell used indefinitely. For example, Uncharted and Call of Duty and MvC and other big games, hold their price at 50-60$ for the better part of 6-12 months. Hell even when MW2 was out, MW1 was still 40$ new.

No, no, I see people too. I don't see a person buying a game new and returning it within a week. I simply don't. That's why rentals exist. I cannot see someone really enjoying a game and selling it back immediately. I have never done it, and have never known anybody to do so. Sure it's anecdotal, but I don't think those people exist. I don't think they exist BECAUSE of things like gamefly, because of renting, because of trading to friends. Now, I could see someone hating a game and trading it in, and then an "addict" buying the used version because by now, obviously, he's learned that he has a full week to play and return for full credit.

And well, to your alst paragraph, gaming is still in infancy. Maybe it's a little older, but it is by no means matured in the sense that everyone knows what they are doing. That's why companies are throwing crap games out there, that's why studios are closing down. There's a lot of waste, and a lot of "no turning back" attitude, it's also a burden on devs that new consoles come out every 6 years or so.

And there's a lot of people who still seem to think that HD is the only way to go. I'm glad Iwata said "wii:U games don't all have to be HD". He's right. There's tons of ps2 level graphics games I'd like to see on the new consoles, but don't get made. There's a lot of cost savigns to be made, and perhaps these kinds of market forces are what they need.

I can't show you something like this, that's simply something you have to figure. Like I said, the majority of sales for almost every game happen within the first month of release. If used copies would only appear after this period of time, nobody would complain about the used games market now.

Rentals are a good point (might not be available in every country, region, area though), but that doesn't mean that I am out of arguments. So far I only tried to explain how it's possible that a game gets sold back to the store quickly, even if the player enjoyed the game. There is obviously also the case where the game get sold back, because the player didn't enjoy it. Since the video game industry relies a lot on hype to sell their products, overpromising and underdelivering is a regular occurence. And many gamers never seem to learn, no matter how often they get burned.

As for the rest, you seem to agree that there are realistic ways to solve the problem without getting rid of the used games market. If I am reading this right, it looks kinda like you are not sure whether you should concur or not.

Very perceptive of you. I most certainly do.....in a way

"Nope, every single company that got into the used sales market ( except Amazon) tend to over time have less and less inventory of new games which is a pain for customers like me that want to buy their games new....
Since Best Buy got into used games sales, the shelf space for new games has been divided by two at my local Best Buy."

I think for the consumers it way better.

For example if I go to stores with only new games they selection is rather slim and prices are crazy.

Places with used games have older games meaning way more selection and I can either buy a new game, a used game or an old game.

The reason I go to the Evil as Hitler (LOL!) Gamestop as they have way more selection of games then any other store around me.

Sure there are independent game stores but out here in suburbia? lol no..

Also why is this such a big issue now?

I think due to Gamestop and the internet, the Used game market has grown dramatically.
I remember people would not touch used games however I have bought well over 50 used games and EVERY single on worked.

I bought Battlefield 3 new and it was defective disk.
Good fight!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/technology/28scene.html

This is about books, but all the same principles apply. The used market absolutely helps to support the new market.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

There're people who do just that, but there're  people who likes to buy it new, but after finishing the game or getting tired of it, they go and sell it. There's a huge universe of millions of gamers where you can find any sort of behaviour, but there's no doubt that the certainty of being able to sell a game in the 2nd hand market helps people feeding the first hand one.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E