By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you agree with companies trying to rid used game sales?

Do you agree with companies trying to rid used game sales?

Yes 51 18.15%

No 167 59.43%

A little 34 12.10%

a lot but not completely 28 9.96%

Total:280
fedfed said:
Just went on ebay.

look at how many COD Mariop Kart 7 - Mario 3D Land - Just dance or Skyrim are on it... and sometimes the selling price is only £3 cheaper than soem online retails (Super Mario 3D Land can ends at £27 and cost £29.95 new at Zavvi.com)

People are not even look anywhere further.

We should stop this. I think that before ebay getting massive games use to sell more.

No we should not. The market regulates itself. It's awesome that way. All we need is transparency. Stupid consumers pay high prices, it's been like that since the beginning of mankind. It's awesome that someone is willing to pay 27 GBP for a used game when he could buy the game new for 30 GBP. Thus the original buyer gets back 27 GBP and can buy another new game with this money.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network
Damnyouall said:
fedfed said:
Just went on ebay.

look at how many COD Mariop Kart 7 - Mario 3D Land - Just dance or Skyrim are on it... and sometimes the selling price is only £3 cheaper than soem online retails (Super Mario 3D Land can ends at £27 and cost £29.95 new at Zavvi.com)

We should stop this. I think that before ebay getting massive games use to sell more.

No we should not. The market regulates itself. It's awesome that way. All we need is transparency. Stupid consumers pay high prices, it's been like that since the beginning of mankind. It's awesome that someone is willing to pay 27 GBP for a used game when he could buy the game new for 30 GBP. Thus the original buyer gets back 27 GBP and can buy another new game with this money.

Ok You made a point on ebay and people getting money back (much more than a retail will give you back) and I am convinved.

but I do not agree that a retail does give you £8 for a game taht he will sell at £25. No one but them are gaining from it (an higher margin than selling a new game)

Switch!!!

fedfed said:
Damnyouall said:
fedfed said:
Just went on ebay.

Ok You made a point on ebay and people getting money back (much more than a retail will give you back) and I am convinved.

but I do not agree that a retail does give you £8 for a game taht he will sell at £25. No one but them are gaining from it (an higher margin than selling a new game)

Very good :)

And yes, the low prices paid are annoying, but they are the result of not enough competition. That's why I think the publishers should create their own retail outlets and compete with GameStop.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Do you guys not understand that the money goes to Gamestop for bring a retailer? They work hard at it because people will not sell their owm games and retailers are too scared to form their own retail store. Also, Gamestop is paying people who use that money on things like games so its not like the money goes in some black hole and never comes back to the games industry.

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Doesn't matter for me anyway.

I insist on buying new copies of whatever game I buy.

Too paranoid about buying used copies. I keep having that feeling that their ex-owners did something funny to them before they sold their games. Like washing the discs in pee or dipping their game carts in peanut butter or oil or something.

Sounds absurd, yes, but yep I'd rather have new copies so that I know that I'm actually taking care of them from damage I think?

Around the Network
Damnyouall said:
Kasz216 said:

any economist will tell you the secondary market helps, it doesn't hurt

Spot on, like the rest of your post. I happen to be an economist (degree in economics/international management). Only an uneducated (or unintelligent) person would think that a secondary market is bad.

I have to say, it's pretty ironic how few people here appear to have any professional knowledge about economics. After all, this website's primary raison d'etre is SALES.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone in this thread besides me have a business degree? Do any of the moderators have any business education?

Business area yes. I have a marketing degree, wich is not exactly the same as economics. I am posting as consumer here and less as a professional. My area is more towards where products are aimed and who they are aimed at to achieve profit. The obvious conclusion i already gave: Microsoft cant afford to not aim at a huge chunk of their current market and alienate it, it would be a sure way to make the product fail.

Thus, there is no chance in hell this will happen. Unless, you know... corporte decisions are made by people with more power than brains.

A bit unrelated, but who is making incredible marketing decisions is Nintendo. They are dominating the handheld market and i believe they have a real chance with the Wii U. Why? Simply because their systems are differenciated. They all have a hook that you cant get with any other system, and with the difference in power beeing increasingly less noticeable... i do believe Nintendo have a chance to dominate the home market once again. Sony might be pushed out of the market this generation due to the Japan bottleneck aswell, in my opinion.

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
Yeah I do, hope they succeed

I don't agree with their reasoning, but I too hope they succeed, because I want to see them go down.

The majority of the money that is gained by selling a game back to a store or on ebay etc. goes right back into video games. If the used games market gets shut down, it won't lead to higher sales of new games, but to lower sales. We are talking about at least tens of millions of games sold less per year. It will become harder to establish new IPs, because gamers will try to get the most bang for their buck and that means they will invest in the safe bets, the known IPs.

That we don't even track

theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

I don't agree with their reasoning, but I too hope they succeed, because I want to see them go down.

The majority of the money that is gained by selling a game back to a store or on ebay etc. goes right back into video games. If the used games market gets shut down, it won't lead to higher sales of new games, but to lower sales. We are talking about at least tens of millions of games sold less per year. It will become harder to establish new IPs, because gamers will try to get the most bang for their buck and that means they will invest in the safe bets, the known IPs.

That we don't even track

Pretty sure he meant tens of millions of new games sold. 

Which... he's probably right.

At least until something like steam shows up on consoles... though even then while sales will go up revenue will go down.

The advantage of steam is it's ability to run sales for everyone everywhere and in general great price elasticity.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

That we don't even track

Pretty sure he meant tens of millions of new games sold. 

Which... he's probably right.

At least until something like steam shows up on consoles... though even then while sales will go up revenue will go down.

The advantage of steam is it's ability to run sales for everyone everywhere and in general great price elasticity.

It's not true at all that ridding the secondary market would result in less games being sold because in a market of adversity, opportunity arises.

The reality is that game prices may have more swing, more "greatest hits" titles available, the return of extended demos, cloud computing, piracy, etc.

In fact, I'm going to start working on my proposal, because should the secondary market disappear, the market would be ripe for it.

Khuutra said:
twesterm said:

I'm not familiar with any single player online pass sort of system, can you give an example of a game that uses it and how?

The only thing I can think of is Rage which gives players access to only bonus areas which I was pretty fine with.

One was unable to buy DLC in ME2 without the Cerberus Network pass. In order to buy, say, Lair of the Shadow Broker on a used copy of ME2, one had to first purchase the ten-dollar Cerberus Network pass, and then pay for LotSB separately.

I will actually agree that sucks.  They shouldn't lock you out of buying new content but I have no problem with giving away content to people buying new.