By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you agree with companies trying to rid used game sales?

Do you agree with companies trying to rid used game sales?

Yes 51 18.15%

No 167 59.43%

A little 34 12.10%

a lot but not completely 28 9.96%

Total:280

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

"Just out of curiosity, does anyone in this thread besides me have a business degree? Do any of the moderators have any business education?"

Well Business degree is the most popular degree so I think many have one including myself.

Anyways, we all hate on Gamestop but they do really well for themselves and have done better due to the increased popularity of Used games ever since the Recession. I think gamestop sells 1 to 1 ratio of Used and new now.  We hate on them but they do quite well and frankly in my area no other store has the same selection. Video game market is more expensive and restrictive up here in Canada.

I go to my local gamestop every 2 weeks or so and the used game shelves are always changing, they sell a lot of those quick. If they do not sell, they just lower the price by a few more dollars.

This is where you get the real bargains :)...

New games is a rip off at Gamestop however in Canada, used games are not as common at stores.

Damnyouall said:
Kasz216 said:

any economist will tell you the secondary market helps, it doesn't hurt

Spot on, like the rest of your post. I happen to be an economist (degree in economics/international management). Only an uneducated (or unintelligent) person would think that a secondary market is bad.

I have to say, it's pretty ironic how few people here appear to have any professional knowledge about economics. After all, this website's primary raison d'etre is SALES.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone in this thread besides me have a business degree? Do any of the moderators have any business education?

Not sure.  Me I was a little short of a buisness degree and have a psychology degree with a pretty decent focus in consumer psychology.

I think we can all agree that people who sell/trade in their old games at Gamestop are morons. Sell your stuff on amazon or ebay.

As for the game publishers whining about Gamestop, why not just get together and set up your own chain, offering better deals to consumers?

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

lol companies working together for the benefit of the consumer??

Also, not everyone has the time and "know how " to sell online. To us its easy as ABC but to casual gamers and such its too much effort.

Gamestop knows this and people still bring in used games like crazy.

Also most people do not have much value to their old games. Usually its like these games are like a few years old I never play them, If i Can save 5-30 dollars on a new game why not?

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

This thread is suppost to tell why you agree or don't agree with companies trying to rid used game sales.  So give your opinion.  I will state mine below.

Ok, first off I understand why people are getting upset about companies trying to stop used game sales.  Yes you own them, I get it, but really you are also hurting the company who made the game.  THe only company you are helping out is gamestop.  How is it fair that gamestop can sale a game 3 times, why the company itself can only sale it once?  Do you have any idea how much money companies lose on used game sales,  plus all the pirated games.  Right now it is hard on game developers. But for all the people who are complaining constantly, you are going to have to get use to it eventually because it is going to happen.  And what happens when we go completely digital Distribution?  are you going to complain about that too, because you can't take that back either. 

I am a big ebay user, however I do agree.

I would like to see a world were you cannot buy used, games, dvd and cd in store or online.

the price will go down (since more software will be sold) - of course there are some limitation like very old game, limnited edition or anything else is out of production and you cannot find elsewhere.

maybe they should just put a date ban. like only 3 years old games, dvd or cd can be sold as second hand.

Company need to makes more profits so that they can make more games.

Switch!!!

The whole argument can be confusing. In the first instant, I am for a company protecting their profits, it is what companies do. I am also for a customer the right to sell their purchased product.

The used cars things has been mentioned and it is right just time scales are different. Of course when you spend £10,000 on a new car vs £40 on a new game, things are going to be different. One usually comes with a debt or loan, the other doesn't. But the point many are saying still stands.

I don't want to type too much but in my view second hand games are good overall. For online, the same amount of people are playing so companies can't use that as an excuse.

In the terms of non-online games, I bought the original Uncharted 2nd hand for £15 (when it was mostly £30 or above at the time). I played it and enjoyed it, I ended up buying it's 2 sequals new from shops. So a benefit overall, if it was £30 I might not have done that.

If the industry do stop used games sales via shops or eBay or whatever, then game sprices will have to tumble and there will be a lot more beer mats available.

Hmm, pie.

Also, a LOT of old games are out of print, they aren't being made anymore. How would we play those games if we can't buy them used?

fedfed said:

I am a big ebay user, however I do agree.

I would like to see a world were you cannot buy used, games, dvd and cd in store or online.

the price will go down (since more software will be sold) - of course there are some limitation like very old game, limnited edition or anything else is out of production and you cannot find elsewhere.

maybe they should just put a date ban. like only 3 years old games, dvd or cd can be sold as second hand.

Company need to makes more profits so that they can make more games.

You are among the 20% who don't understand the big picture of an economy. If you take away the consumers' right to sell stuff they no longer want, then they will have less money to buy new things. An economy is a cycle. In a system that does not allow used game sales, much fewer new games will be sold, which means game companies will make less money. This wouldn't lead to cheaper prices at all, only to less consumption.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Just went on ebay.

look at how many COD Mariop Kart 7 - Mario 3D Land - Just dance or Skyrim are on it... and sometimes the selling price is only £3 cheaper than soem online retails (Super Mario 3D Land can ends at £27 and cost £29.95 new at Zavvi.com)

People are not even look anywhere further.

We should stop this. I think that before ebay getting massive games use to sell more.

Switch!!!