By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS needs to cut the price of the Xbox 360!

greenmedic88 said:
I don't think they need to cut price to *compete* with the Wii U barring the odd chance that it actually ends up retailing for less than $399, which I'm fully convinced Nintendo can do and still keep each unit sold profitable.

Otherwise, I see no reason for MS to cut prices until after they announce the Xbox 3 at which point, sales of the 360 are likely to take quite a bit of a nosedive once potential buyers new to the platform are aware that a replacement is incoming. Significantly lower prices across the board would help alleviate some of the sales drop offs, at least as far as numbers shipped/sold go (but not overall revenue).

So, it's in MS' best interests to hold off finalized announcements of the Xbox 3 for as long as possible, as in the E3 before launch (summer '13 announcement, winter '13 release).

I think MS is pushing it as far as price is concered.  It doesnt seem to like cutting price if they see theres money that can be taken out you. Sony got near the end of their gen timetable and ready to launch the next tech they the price of the PS2 was nearly $99. By the time PS3 came out the PS2 was any mans game and Sony continued to enjoy profit off of that whilst the PS3 price was so high. They need to cut the Arcade 360 and drop the price being that they are in their seventh year. They've only cut the 360 $100 in price in seven years. They are definitely riding profit hand over fist like the Wii did because the tech is so damn old and doing consumers zero favors.

Around the Network

Kinect - 99
Arcade - 150
250 gig 360 - 250
Premium Kinect bundle - 299
Arcade kinect bundle - 199

This is my prediction. By knocking $50 off standalone skus the bundles can go down by a combined $100.

The question is when. 360 is selling on 2008 prices and next gen rumors are popping up so this has to happen soon. Now PS3 is only outselling 360 by 20 000 approx every week, which will be soooo easy to make up for it if they wait till E3 or even as late as september.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
greenmedic88 said:
I don't think they need to cut price to *compete* with the Wii U barring the odd chance that it actually ends up retailing for less than $399, which I'm fully convinced Nintendo can do and still keep each unit sold profitable.

Otherwise, I see no reason for MS to cut prices until after they announce the Xbox 3 at which point, sales of the 360 are likely to take quite a bit of a nosedive once potential buyers new to the platform are aware that a replacement is incoming. Significantly lower prices across the board would help alleviate some of the sales drop offs, at least as far as numbers shipped/sold go (but not overall revenue).

So, it's in MS' best interests to hold off finalized announcements of the Xbox 3 for as long as possible, as in the E3 before launch (summer '13 announcement, winter '13 release).

I think MS is pushing it as far as price is concered.  It doesnt seem to like cutting price if they see theres money that can be taken out you. Sony got near the end of their gen timetable and ready to launch the next tech they the price of the PS2 was nearly $99. By the time PS3 came out the PS2 was any mans game and Sony continued to enjoy profit off of that whilst the PS3 price was so high. They need to cut the Arcade 360 and drop the price being that they are in their seventh year. They've only cut the 360 $100 in price in seven years. They are definitely riding profit hand over fist like the Wii did because the tech is so damn old and doing consumers zero favors.

Can't really compare this gen to last in terms of pricing, especially with Sony.  PS2 was much cheaper to manufacture, all things considered, and it launched at half the price the PS3 did.  Also, when the PS2 finally hit $99, that was after several years of being the WW market leader and a major hardware revision (PS2 Slim) that cut costs even more, and that was still 1/3 its launch price.  The equivalent price point for the PS3 at this point in its life would be $199, which Sony had just barely flirted with over the holiday shopping season.  It'll prolly hit that point permanently sometime this year, but not before M$ drops their price.

As for M$... as long as a console is selling well, there's no need to drop the price just yet, because that's just more money in their pockets.  And the reason they've "only" cut the price $100 so far is because #1 the system has consistently sold well in its primary market every year since release, and #2 there have been so many hardware revisions with upgraded HDDs and motherboards, and now built-in WiFi over the years, going from just a 20 GB HDD for $399 at launch to now a 250GB HDD plus WiFi and 2 games for $299.  Thats a pretty damn good bargain over what consumers were originally offered, especially now that you can install games to reduce wear and tear on the system.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
greenmedic88 said:

Oh gimme a break. Your implying that MS is running a 3rd world dictatorship while Sony holds town parades, throwing money at the crowds, occassionally stopping to kiss babies. 

Yes they really only cut the 360 price by $100 over 7 years. Nevermind they value added. But thats a testiment to their business strategy and brand appeal. 

And I think many Sony fans including yourself confuse Sonys "generosity" with "desperation". PS3 didn't drop its price by $350 over the course of 5 years because they love their customers, they do it to desperately try to reclaim all their lost PS2 marketshare that all but evaporated once Wii and 360 started kicking PS3s ass. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I'll buy a 2nd 360 when there is a Kinect bundle with hdd for 199, maybe 249. Hopefully at the launch of the xbox loop. I'm going to wait for a year before upgrading, a year to catch up on Kinect 1.0 titles.
Or do you think they'll still have the kinect 1.0 hdd bundle priced at 299 when the new system costs 399?

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
greenmedic88 said:

Oh gimme a break. Your implying that MS is running a 3rd world dictatorship while Sony holds town parades, throwing money at the crowds, occassionally stopping to kiss babies. 

Yes they really only cut the 360 price by $100 over 7 years. Nevermind they value added. But thats a testiment to their business strategy and brand appeal. 

And I think many Sony fans including yourself confuse Sonys "generosity" with "desperation". PS3 didn't drop its price by $350 over the course of 5 years because they love their customers, they do it to desperately try to reclaim all their lost PS2 marketshare that all but evaporated once Wii and 360 started kicking PS3s ass. 

Hit the nail there! People don't understand its business and the reason each console got their respective price cuts...

They'll cut the price when they feel the need to. As of right now, I don't see a reason quite yet because they are just fine riding the profit train for now. Once MS does drop the price Sony's chance of outselling the X360 overall just won't seem feasible until maybe next gen official starts, which by that time it wont mean diddly-squat. 

sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
greenmedic88 said:

made me lol. Sony had to cut the price and remove (!) features to avoid the total failure.
I prefer MS / Nintendo way that the latest console is the better one. Xbox 360 slim with 250 GB feels like a totally new system compared to the Xbox 360 20 GB premium same for nintendo with the DS.

Anyway the money they made is fine and they totally deserve it, but they need to have the perfect timing for a price cut and a new console announcement, other wise the price cut won't boost sales that much.  And the price cut must be significant to have an effect. You can't sell a 300 USD  Xbox 360 with a 349 USD Xbox next on the market.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

The next Xbox isn't hitting until at the earliest fall 2013. That's just a little less than two years. We will probably see a $50-$100 price drop for the 2012 holiday season. It's possible that we might see a price drop announced at E3 along with a new bundle or something, but MS has had incredible sales and Halo 4 coming out this year. Halo is like crack and the Xbox 360 is the pipe. Every time MS releases a new Halo game with a number in it's title their console gets a big boost. People always think everyone who's going to buy Halo already has an Xbox, but every time there is a boost. With Halo 4 and a possible price cut for the holidays and along with bundles, we could see the Xbox 360 have another record year and blow everyone away again.

kain_kusanagi said:
The next Xbox isn't hitting until at the earliest fall 2013. That's just a little less than two years. We will probably see a $50-$100 price drop for the 2012 holiday season. It's possible that we might see a price drop announced at E3 along with a new bundle or something, but MS has had incredible sales and Halo 4 coming out this year. Halo is like crack and the Xbox 360 is the pipe. Every time MS releases a new Halo game with a number in it's title their console gets a big boost. People always think everyone who's going to buy Halo already has an Xbox, but every time there is a boost. With Halo 4 and a possible price cut for the holidays and along with bundles, we could see the Xbox 360 have another record year and blow everyone away again.

You do realize how much the software market has shifted since 2007 right? Halo is no longer the premier hardware selling game franchise. It's been Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2.

And the number 4  will have nothing to do with that changing . Halo Wars had no marketing appeal to FPS gamers. ODST; arguably a retail expansion pack (was originally being developed as such after all). Reach, was by many measures a better game than Halo 3. CE anniversary; an HD re-release. 

The only yardstick to compare sales differences for the "number theory" would be between Halo 2 and Halo 3, which weren't even on the same console. Halo 3 was released within the first 2 years of the Xbox 360 life cycle when it was still in the initial stages of building install base. Halo 4 will be released near the end. While I'm sure it will be a fantastic game, Bungie or no, the idea that it will sell a million consoles for being Halo 4 to people who no longer own an Xbox 360 is ridiculous. 

While I'm sure the immediate response will be to claim it doesn't matter because CoD isn't a console exclusive and Halo is, the reality is that Halo 4 will likely be directly responsible for the sale of consoles numbering in the mid to low hundreds of thousands at best. 

Any major shift in sales will coincide with price drops, deals and bundles that are likely to happen in the holiday 2012 season more than the release of Halo 4.