By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 'A Kinect shooter would be horribly boring', says Ghost Recon dev

Tagged games:

and yet, they are making a Ghost Recon game with kinect RE LOL!!

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
o_O.Q said:
coolbeans said:
o_O.Q said:
coolbeans said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
kowenicki said:
No shit. Luckily it wasn't devised for such a thing. When will people get it? Kinect isn't trying to be and doesn't need to be a total replacement control system. It's an alternative for certain types if games, and it works very well in those games.

Four words: "Kinect for the core". Microsoft wants to force Kinect down our throats. I like Dance Central and all but its not a core game. Star Wars, Ghost Recon Kinect etc. All those games are better done with the Move than the Kinect and can be called core titles, but Sony needs to reach out to devs commercially the same way Microsoft does. They have a product of substance, so they need to put glitter on substance....its not as hard as they might think. Microsoft can put glitter on anything.

Who's to say they have but pubs/devs rejected the offers.  Many motion development pursuits were used on the Wii already and Move has shown no differences in overall control scheme.

kinect hasn't really either imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au3UJHItYgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gOVj_I5npA

Sigh....since we're in 2012, that point isn't even worth arguing.  The amount of new ideas given by the PC community makes your E3 fallout vids-and opinion-completely moot.  *Rubs hands* Who's next?

were you talking about games support for an xbox 360 peripheral or hacks for pc?

if you were indeed talking about games support i don't see how what you said is relevant... if you can raise the argument of move's originality the same can be said for kinect in terms of how they are implemented into games for control

...or maybe i'm just seeing things and the gameplay types shown in the videos aren't similar at all

- Kinect isn't exclusively a 360 peripheral in the coming days. 

- ...Except it can't.  Despite it being a bad game, did any Eyetoy game give you the same control as Rise of Nightmares?  Are Eyetoy games capable of controlling reponses from 3D perspective?  Whether you call it a glorified eyetoy or not makes no difference to me, but there's still an advancement in what's being done rather than a refinement. 

Why do people hold onto the "if one piece of tech is unoriginal, then the same must be said for the competitors" trope as if it makes their point unbiased?

"Kinect isn't exclusively a 360 peripheral in the coming days." 

maybe but what is the context here? what kinect is capable of on pc or the control schemes it has had so far for gaming on 360?

"Are Eyetoy games capable of controlling reponses from 3D perspective?"

yes in eyepet for example players could interact with the pet in a 3d space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZvxIjdyyII

"did any Eyetoy game give you the same control as Rise of Nightmares?"

tbh i can't think of any eyetoy game that allowed for the player to move the game character like in RoN but thats one game that does that out of the whole kinect library so far

"trope as if it makes their point unbiased?"

the reason i responded in the first place is that you made your point against move as if kinect is offering something vastly different from what has been done and imo its clear to see that that isn't true

sethnintendo said:
forest-spirit said:
But...pew pew pew. How can that be boring!?
Honestly, someone should make a snowball war game for Kinect. If I remember correctly there was an FPS (First Person Snowballshooter) South Park game for the N64. It's time for a sequel!

How dare you bring up the N64 South Park games!  I guess I had some fun but I would have never purchased those unmentionable games.  Turok was 10x better FPS than whatever crap came out of Cartman's ass.

Actually I though the first one on N64 was pretty good, even if it was just a lame Turok clone.  Those other SP games on N64 and PS1?  Ugh... talk about pointless cash grabs.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

An FPS simply doesn't work with Kinect.

AstroMaSSi rules

selnor said:

Kinect enhances our experiences and provides new experiences that are great.
When will the sad lonely people wake up and realise yesterdays game types were never meant for todays and tommorrows control schemes.

Wake up world. Halo anniversary, forza 4, mass effect 3 etc is how kinect is improving our hard ore games without ruining them.
Giant bomb among others state its hard to go back and play mass effect 3 without kinect.

From what I understand, Halo and Mass Effect are just voice controls.  If they really thought these 'features' were improving the games, then why are they 360 and Kinect exclusive?  Why would headsets or even the PSeye not work?  I know supposedly the Kinect hardware does some of the work, but there were voice commands on the PS2.  Pretty sure modern PCs can handle it.  You'd think the developers would want all people to have the best possible game if they really thought such things added to it.  I'm sure there are more 360 owners with headsets than kinects.  It's blatantly obvious these are just tacked on extras to try and justify kinect to the crowd who isn't interested in dancing games.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:

selnor said:

When will the sad lonely people wake up and realise yesterdays game types were never meant for todays and tommorrows control schemes.

Wake up world. Halo anniversary, forza 4, mass effect 3 etc is how kinect is improving our hard ore games without ruining them.
Giant bomb among others state its hard to go back and play mass effect 3 without kinect.

From what I understand, Halo and Mass Effect are just voice controls.  If they really thought these 'features' were improving the games, then why are they 360 and Kinect exclusive?  Why would headsets or even the PSeye not work?  I know supposedly the Kinect hardware does some of the work, but there were voice commands on the PS2.  Pretty sure modern PCs can handle it.  You'd think the developers would want all people to have the best possible game if they really thought such things added to it.  I'm sure there are more 360 owners with headsets than kinects.  It's blatantly obvious these are just tacked on extras to try and justify kinect to the crowd who isn't interested in dancing games.

It's not about having the hardware to handle the data, it's about how easy it is to implement. The hardware in Kinect makes it easy for developers to implement solid voice recognition, which is why Kinect is getting so many games that has it.

If it was just as easy to do on other platforms with the same level of quality, I'm sure it would be done.

Am I the only one slightly annoyed that it seems as though the article writer is assuming that had Child Of Eden not been a kinect game it would have sold massively better? The only real direct comparison is Rez, which CoE sold much better than.

Honestly can't think of many other comparisons. On rails flying shooter that also has heavy musical influences. The Panzer Dragoon series? Which CoE sold roughly the same as.

CoE wasn't exactly a core shooter. It was an incredibly niche game and entirely possible that kinect actually helped it.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Rainbird said:
Yakuzaice said:

selnor said:

It's not about having the hardware to handle the data, it's about how easy it is to implement. The hardware in Kinect makes it easy for developers to implement solid voice recognition, which is why Kinect is getting so many games that has it.

If it was just as easy to do on other platforms with the same level of quality, I'm sure it would be done.

I dont buy this for a second, PSeye has been around forever, hell devices like it have been around PCs even longer, so these "supposedly" great devs couldnt get it to work on any other devices prior to Kinect?? Kinect is that much easier to do it for?? BS, this is MS moneyhatting to get the "core" to believe that Kinect could be used for certain games, not saying thats a bad thing, they gotta promote hardware, but most arent fooled

oniyide said:
Rainbird said:

I dont buy this for a second, PSeye has been around forever, hell devices like it have been around PCs even longer, so these "supposedly" great devs couldnt get it to work on any other devices prior to Kinect?? Kinect is that much easier to do it for?? BS, this is MS moneyhatting to get the "core" to believe that Kinect could be used for certain games, not saying thats a bad thing, they gotta promote hardware, but most arent fooled

It's all about investment for a developer. If voice recognition isn't something that seems likely to improve your game, then why include or even experiment with it, if it's going to be a big investment to integrate into the game? Mass Effect 3 does experimentation. BioWare wants to see if this is something gamers want and whether it will improve the game. And the easiest way to experiment with it is through Kinect by the looks of things. I'm sure if becomes an essential feature, it will move over to other platforms as well, but until developers know that gamers want it, why invest a disproportionate amount of time and effort in it?

Rainbird said:
oniyide said:
Rainbird said:

It's all about investment for a developer. If voice recognition isn't something that seems likely to improve your game, then why include or even experiment with it, if it's going to be a big investment to integrate into the game? Mass Effect 3 does experimentation. BioWare wants to see if this is something gamers want and whether it will improve the game. And the easiest way to experiment with it is through Kinect by the looks of things. I'm sure if becomes an essential feature, it will move over to other platforms as well, but until developers know that gamers want it, why invest a disproportionate amount of time and effort in it?

Sorry still dont buy it.  All your questions can be answered by one word: Money. Are you trying to tell me that MS didnt give Bioware some money and/or favors to implement voice recognition just to boost their own Kinect product? Bioware did actually work out of the goodness of their hearts?? Yeah right.  MS wants that Kinect label on as much games as they possibly can. If Bioware actually cared to experiment, why just limit it to one product, ok sure the PS3 version isnt going to do 360 numbers, but the PC version will do just as much, if not more. Where is their voice recognition??