By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo FYQ3 Financials - Profits, Wii 5.61, 3DS 8.36, all HW Forecasts Lowered

Seece said:

Gee's we're gonna be in for a few more low NPD reports (possibly overall if last month was to go by)

Ninty expect to ship 1.04m this Q1, Q1 last year they sold more than that in the US. Given they sell about 40%~ of their stock in the US we should be looking at sub 100k months.

could be decent NPDs and nintendo just overshipped last Q.  :P

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Seece said:

Gee's we're gonna be in for a few more low NPD reports (possibly overall if last month was to go by)

Ninty expect to ship 1.04m this Q1, Q1 last year they sold more than that in the US. Given they sell about 40%~ of their stock in the US we should be looking at sub 100k months.

Yeah true, like last years scenario. Means we have Wii overtracked significantly though

cyberninja45 said:
fedfed said:
kowenicki said:
fedfed said:
kowenicki said:
fedfed said:
This means that VGC overtarcked 3DS by 4 mil?

If yes we can agree that all number in this site are fake and/or company prefere to fake their numbers for some strange reasons.

4 mil?  what are you talking about?

well global is at 15mil now. If nintendo said thay have sold 11 mil is 4 mil short... Or i did not get the article?

15m is shipped lifetime, we had 14.5m at end of dec here, it is too close though imo.

Sorry I feel stupid today. so 3DS sold 14.5 mil right? what is the 11.5 mil mentioned in the Nintendo Article?

Yeah Seece should have the LTD numbers next to them so people who glance at them wont get the wrong impression. (which I suspect alot of  people already has).

Updated it

Seece said:
kitler53 said:
Seece said:

Yeah true, like last years scenario. Means we have Wii overtracked significantly though

We have 650k Wiis on shelves (end of December)... a bit low without news about supply issues... so I guess Wii is overtracked here.

Anyway... VGC is showing 0 units of DS on shelves LOL.

Mr Khan said:
"Hasn't taken sufficient measures to combat the currency problem"

What precisely can they do? Short of lobbying the Japanese government to do something about it (which they have been trying to do to no avail).

The problem with the Yen is too much savings. Supposedly upwards of $300 billion in this country is kept in cash (what we in America would call "stuffed under a mattress"). If the Japanese incentivized spending better, the problem would go away, but there is little Nintendo could do short of jacking up prices across the board abroad, which would just lead to reduced revenue anyway (though they could get more profit per unit, so if they decreased production volume...)

The point is it's very hard to legitimately criticize Nintendo's position vis-a-vis the Yen ("legitimately" meaning, criticize with a workable solution in mind).

Perhaps they should just move all their Japanese operations except domestic distribution out of the country, but then that would create huge HR problems...

Hedge against Yen volatility using options perhaps?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

We have 650k Wiis on shelves (end of December)... a bit low without news about supply issues... so I guess Wii is overtracked here.

Anyway... VGC is showing 0 units of DS on shelves LOL.

That's a regular occurence here.

When are we getting the sales charts?

kowenicki said:
Seece said:
Why do analysts and the media in general always blame Nintendo's slow down on social gaming ect. Completely ignoring that 5/6 year old HD HW are having their best years, so no, social gaming clearly isn't having an affect on home consoles, it's just Wii experiencing the usual sales curve.

That doesnt explain the weak 3DS performance and the inevitable PSVita's poor sales performance

People on this forum really need to start to accept that other styles of gaming... mobile phones, pads and yes social gaming ARE going to have a massive impact on consoles.... particularly dedicated handhelds.

And now a raft of people will come and tell me that I am wrong... again.

Lets just wait and see how this year pans out shall we.

Don't forget: Mario Kart to be on a non-Nintendo mobile system by 2016!

Poor Ninty...

...I blame Malstrom's macumba!!!

...And WiiFit too, obviously. O-)

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The link to the full report is bad... it has gamrconnect in the url.

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:
Why do analysts and the media in general always blame Nintendo's slow down on social gaming ect. Completely ignoring that 5/6 year old HD HW are having their best years, so no, social gaming clearly isn't having an affect on home consoles, it's just Wii experiencing the usual sales curve.

That doesnt explain the weak 3DS performance and the inevitable PSVita's poor sales performance

People on this forum really need to start to accept that other styles of gaming... mobile phones, pads and yes social gaming ARE going to have a massive impact on consoles.... particularly dedicated handhelds.

And now a raft of people will come and tell me that I am wrong... again.

Lets just wait and see how this year pans out shall we.

15million 3DS is weak?
So I guess the Vita is super doomed in your eyes right?

So mobile phones and social gaming are going to impact consoles? How? 360 just had its best year in 2011. Next-gen consoles could have good enough browsers to play Facebook games. Its just up to Sony and MS to include them.

Social "games" like Farmwille or Citywille aren't going to have ANY impact on the console market. I don't see myself or any of my friends playing Farmville instead of Call of Duty any time soon.

im not going to convince someone of your mindset and you arent going to convince me... no point in debatng.

I just think I'm on the side of common sense.  Clearly the growth of tablets and more powerful phones will impact on handheld consoles in particular.  

Common sense?  I would have to say common sense rests on the other side of the debate.  There's even numbers to back it up, while it seems you are only going on a gut feeling.  The iphone has been available since '07.  Since then the popularity of smartphones has skyrocketed to where ~50% of cellphone owners (at least in the US) have one.  The ipad came out in '10 and has sold over 55 million, with all tablets sales combined probably being in the 100's of millions.  Yet, the 360 and the PS3 (in their 6th and 5th year, respectively) have both just had their best years so far.  As far as the 3DS goes, even with a weak launch, only selling 3.8 million in ~6 months, after it got a more attractive price and better games it went on to sell 10.2 million more in just 4 more months (only used 14 million because of possible adjustments).  It doesn't seem like the smartphone/tablet/social gaming threat is a very real one.  At least not for a couple of more decades, if at all.