By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: No used Games on Next Xbox

Zlejedi said:
Lafiel said:

Hm...

assuming every console manufacturer implemented a system like this I'd probably still buy a console, but I woudn't buy nearly as many games as I did this gen.

I don't think Sony would implement system like this. In Japan that would be completly unacceptable.

no one(Nintendo/Sony/MS) will

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
If Microsoft did that I wouldn't buy their system on principle alone ...

there is no way in hell i am going to buy their system. can you believe what they are trying to pull? i always knew they were no good for the industry, they dont do anything but leech. in a way, i am glad they are doing this.

for me, its going to be no problem, because i am just going to stick with nintendo, so i am not going to have to deal with any of this crap. but for anyone else.. boy, are they going to have to learn the hard way. lol.

with any luck, this will put microsoft out of the industry for good. this is just plain evil.

TheSwordUser said:
The only thing I can imagine "working", would pe pure digital distribution. No way to get games used that way.
Not to mention lack of option to sell the game after you're done with it (maybe at least they'll do rentals then, like OnLive does).

It works on PC, people buy games on Steam all the time. However my most expensive purchase on Steam was $25. I simply won't pay more for a non boxed indefinite rental.

SvennoJ said:
TheSwordUser said:
The only thing I can imagine "working", would pe pure digital distribution. No way to get games used that way.
Not to mention lack of option to sell the game after you're done with it (maybe at least they'll do rentals then, like OnLive does).

It works on PC, people buy games on Steam all the time. However my most expensive purchase on Steam was $25. I simply won't pay more for a non boxed indefinite rental.

If Microsoft would introduce a system where:

-every single title ever released for it is available globally (no region lock)
-all games are reasonably priced (no 60$ bullshit for games that last 5 hours, though maybe it's worth to some people, not mentioning multiplayer)
-has daily deals and mega seasonal sales like on Steam (75% to 90% off, do want)
-new releases every day
-big indie support
-and also has an option to rent games

Then I wouldn't mind lack of used games for it.

Ah the rumours, they do make me laugh.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Doesn't really matter for me considering this is already the same for my games on XBLA...+100 games that I can't lend or resell..

People said the exact same thing before the PS3 launched. Nobody remembers this?

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/08/playstation-3-wont-play-used-games/

Oh d21lewis.  What would they do without you?

spurgeonryan said:
Level1Death said:
I see no problem if Microsoft does this.

Is that because you are hoping that the neo geo pocket will make a comback?

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/01/25/neo-geo-pocket-returns-could-be-awesome/

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

d21lewis said:

People said the exact same thing before the PS3 launched. Nobody remembers this?

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/08/playstation-3-wont-play-used-games/

Oh d21lewis.  What would they do without you?

actually I did remember that ... makes me feel old

It's hard to imagine them implementing this. I really don't care that much. It has been awhile since I have bought a used game anyways, but I don't think it is the best idea for them. Many people wait until they can get it used to get a deal on it. I understand why M$ are doing this, but until at least Sony follows suit, I see them losing fans over this move.