By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - THQ moving away from 'kids licensed entertainment;' Saints Row: The Third ships 3.8 million

Joystiq

In the wake of a rumor that THQ had relinquished a publishing deal with Disney for a variety of children's properties, the ailing publisher released a statement this morning renewing its focus on "core game franchises" over "traditional kids' licensed video games." The company will also be focusing on "digital initiatives" going forward, though we're not sure how that'll be possible after the closure of THQ's digital studio in the UK.

The release specifically cites UFC, Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Insane, Saints Row, Warhammer 40K, and Patrice Desilets' currently-in-production project as "key franchises" for the company going forward, and promises more information will be offered on next thursday's financial call.

Alongside news of the realignment, THQ announced that 3.8 million copies of its latest release, Saints Row: The Third, have shipped to retail since launch in November 2011. The publisher expects lifetimes sales to reach between five and six million units, and believes that its season pass plan will help that play out.

3.8 million copies means there are quite a few large purple dildo bats out in the wild, folks, but will it be enough to keep THQ going after a major miss with the uDraw Tablet and a rough past few years? That remains to be seen.

Around the Network

I don't think it's sustainable, but you never know. Thanks for the great news threads NSanity! About Udraw, it did well on the Wii according to the article, so why scrap it and kid licenses altogether? Something isn't clicking...

Also the last part of the Udraw article is kinda upsetting: "We guess folks are just more into simulated violence and genuine bonersword violence than they're into drawing things with their kids."

Bottom line, hey?

I thought they had already done that last year...

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Moving away from kid stuff? They should have thought about that before naming the company "Toy Headquarters".

d21lewis said:
Moving away from kid stuff? They should have thought about that before naming the company "Toy Headquarters".

Never knew that was THQ stood for. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

What about that toy in the screenshot, eh?!

Ow... they are moving away from Homefront... they didn't mention it.. must be too kiddy.... :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:

What about that toy in the screenshot, eh?!

I saw your reply and I was thinking, "What the heck is badgenome talking about...." Scrolled upwards and damn near choked on my own laughter.  Good catch!

NiKKoM said:
Ow... they are moving away from Homefront... they didn't mention it.. must be too kiddy.... :(

Odd... I heard a Crytek studio was working on HomeFront 2 for them. O.o

Millenium said:
NiKKoM said:

Odd... I heard a Crytek studio was working on HomeFront 2 for them. O.o

They are... 2013 release I think, could of been 2014.

THQ are a company with poor poor leadership. They keep changing focus after every bomb and don't seem to really know what they want to do. They're now competiting with the 'big boys' like Ubi / EA / Acti for the core type market but I can't see it being sustainable. Sooner or later a Darksiders or Homefront or (Most likely) Devils Third will bomb and they'll change it all again.

I think they'll be okay up to the next console switch anyway, at least.