By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN: Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

at least i hope for much better a.i. and much better graphics for open world games and no stupid aliasing in forza games...i don't need much improvements in graphics for games like gears but these improvements are very very important for me!
i don't want to see the gras in skyrim “growing“ 15 meters in front of me while walking anymore and i don't want stupid idiots in crysis running against a wall anymore and no flickering street in forza anymore destroying the whole feeling to be on a real street.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
glimmer_of_hope said:

People are still not getting it. There will not be an enormous leap in consoles this upcoming generation. The only big jump/improvement will be the WiiU, going from DVD based to HD. There is absolutely no surprise that the Nextbox could only be 20% more powerful than WiiU.

We have hit the roadblock this upcoming generation, games will only be able to put out 1080P graphics, because that's the best televisions we have now. The successor to 1080P televisions could be years away.

You can add as much CPU, GPU RAM, Processor all you want, the end result will be 1080p games. Sure the games will be sharper, bigger and 60fps....but the difference will not be as much as some people expect/hope.

Errr, waaahh..?

Avatar on BluRay is 1080p and (if this news is true) it looks WAY better than anything people would ever expect from Nextbox. Where do you get the idea that 1080p is a limitation at all at the moment or in the near future?

The render farm occupies the 193rd to 197th spots in the TOP500 list of the world's most powerful supercomputers. A new texturing and paint software system called Mari, was developed by The Foundry in cooperation with Weta. Creating the Na'vi characters and the virtual world of Pandora required over a petabyte of digital storage, and each minute of the final footage for Avatar occupies 17.28 gigabytes of storage.

This is what took to render Avatar. 

"The render farm occupies the 193rd to 197th spots in the TOP500 list of the world's most powerful supercomputers."

No "Next gen" tech would be able to get that much processing power on a small box costing only $350- $400

Yay!!!

@dark_feanor

if you mean me because i was talking about uncharted graphics than i have to say you look very stupid now because i buy all my multi-games for 360 and i think some here know that i play most time with 360.

just to face it, i bought 5 ps3 games this gen and like 70 360 games and still the 360 won't get uncharted 3 graphics or let's wait fot the last of us.

z101 said:
If this is true than Wii U will rule the next console generation.

I doubt it. Kinect 2 (enhanced by a couple of "navigation controller like" things to hold in your fists for certain games) would even convince some of the hardcore gamers, and will certainly eat into the Wii(U) market (possibly a lot).

I wander what Sony's USP will be. I'm hoping awesome VR.

If this rumor is true, I was right about what MS would do with the Nextbox. They will go after the Nintendo crowd with a slightly more powerful machine then the WiiU, but with Kinect 2.0 being the selling point while maintaining Forza, Gears and Halo for the hardcore audience.

This rumor IMO, is good for Sony because it allows more room for the next Playstation to be more powerful (and show to it to the world with games from day 1) while not going crazy on price, and more alarming for Nintendo because they will have a direct competitor for the casual gamer, with a Kinect devise that will sell specially for those dance games that were a huge hit for Nintendo, and 3rd party games that will look better in the xbox 720 then the WiiU.

In the end all 3 next gen consoles will sell, and every gamer will be happy about what they have.

Around the Network

Weak ...

It's causing meltdowns, therefore they must be true.

Seems like Sony will be left to tend mostly to hardcore next gen as they did with the Vita.

like zarox siad,6x 360 power=6850 level GPU,not fucking 6670,unless they make a dual 6670(why do that?)
is IGN retarded?

PlaystaionGamer said:
6 times more powerful is not much really.. is it?

It's somewhere between low end and mainstream pc gpus cards.

By the time it's released it will be equvalent of next gen amd APUs.

Compared to this x360 was as fast as high end gpus costing as much as whole console when it was released.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

D-Joe said:
like zarox siad,6x 360 power=6850 level GPU,not fucking 6670,unless they make a dual 6670(why do that?)
is IGN retarded?

Uh yeah, IGN is.

Still, even if it "was" a 6670 GPU they included, it will obviously be modified and optimized, so even though I don't believe this particular rumour, if a 6670 indeed did make it into the Next-Box, it would probably far outperform normal 6670's.