By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN: Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Ghutto said:
How can they talk about Wii U's power if they don't know anything?

That never stopped them before.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I already know the hardware will be great. I want to know about the games.

Well rumors say that Rare, Turn 10 and Lionhead are all ready hard at work, so thats 3-4 games within the launch window. I say 4 because Rare could easily make 2 games since I seriously doubt Kinect Sports 1 and 2 took up much of their resources.

But I suspect you want to know about its games in the same way that I want to know about PS4 games....so you can poke holes in them :P

I have absolutely nothing to worry about with Sony or Nintendo for launch titles. Microsoft wont be able to depend on third parties  like they did when there was no competition so they are the weakest link starting next gen if they have no Halo. They better come prepared. I can count on them for decent hardware, but games are always a worry. I will not be buying a launch console unless they shape up. PS4 isnt even a question and knowing the fact that Sony has party chat in mind for the Vita and the next console seals the deal for me.

Oh? So you have the full list of launch titles for the PS4 even though the console hasn't even been announced yet?

Feel free to share, although I really don't think you can, can you.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I already know the hardware will be great. I want to know about the games.

Well rumors say that Rare, Turn 10 and Lionhead are all ready hard at work, so thats 3-4 games within the launch window. I say 4 because Rare could easily make 2 games since I seriously doubt Kinect Sports 1 and 2 took up much of their resources.

But I suspect you want to know about its games in the same way that I want to know about PS4 games....so you can poke holes in them :P

I have absolutely nothing to worry about with Sony or Nintendo for launch titles. Microsoft wont be able to depend on third parties  like they did when there was no competition so they are the weakest link starting next gen if they have no Halo. They better come prepared. I can count on them for decent hardware, but games are always a worry. I will not be buying a launch console unless they shape up. PS4 isnt even a question and knowing the fact that Sony has party chat in mind for the Vita and the next console seals the deal for me.

Edit: Sorry for double postquote

i don't get why are people sad about this? if this is true then MS played it smart just like i said they might do in my next gen thread.

keep game development costs low and sell the hardware at a low price at launch.

Sony can have the most powerful hardware if they want. i mean whats the point of having the most powerful console if its only making you lose moneyZ!??

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

so the only difference between uncharted 3 which runs on a console with more power than xbox 360's and a game like this for xbox 720 will be 1080p and maybe 60fps? this alone would use much more power than uncharted 3 needs so maybe even this would be too much for 720? nooooo!

does sony even need a next gen then? i wonder how much power the 360 would need for uncharted 3's or killzone 3's graphics

Around the Network

Based on the GPU implies some customization. Plus graphics hardware in consoles can, I would estimate, reach performances two "PC" generations above their own. With TV resolutions probably not going up in the next 5 years (totally my own estimate), such a graphics card would be more than capable of 1080p 60FPS, and stereoscopic 3D.
And then it would be cheap, low power consumption and low heat generation, which means less cooling (cheaper), smaller unit, smaller box (cheaper transport), lots of profit, UEEEEEEE
:)

If this is true than Wii U will rule the next console generation.

glimmer_of_hope said:

People are still not getting it. There will not be an enormous leap in consoles this upcoming generation. The only big jump/improvement will be the WiiU, going from DVD based to HD. There is absolutely no surprise that the Nextbox could only be 20% more powerful than WiiU.

We have hit the roadblock this upcoming generation, games will only be able to put out 1080P graphics, because that's the best televisions we have now. The successor to 1080P televisions could be years away.

You can add as much CPU, GPU RAM, Processor all you want, the end result will be 1080p games. Sure the games will be sharper, bigger and 60fps....but the difference will not be as much as some people expect/hope.

Errr, waaahh..?

Avatar on BluRay is 1080p and (if this news is true) it looks WAY better than anything people would ever expect from Nextbox. Where do you get the idea that 1080p is a limitation at all at the moment or in the near future?

Sony and Microsoft can't afford to lose billions on their consoles this time. Seeing both Xbox 3 and PS4 retail for $399 would make a lot of sense in my opinion - with Microsoft about breaking even and Sony making a small loss probably (including Kinect and Move).

In the end it comes down to this: Will our industry grow or not? If all 3 consoles can receiver proper ports of 3rd party games everyone wins. We get more games for our consoles and developers can afford to make higher budget games and have a larger install base to sell them on.

Honestly I would much rather have 3 cheaper consoles getting great support than a splitted user base like this gen. The gaming industry could thrive and grow on an install base of probably 250 million consoles and motion gaming taking really off with all of the big 3 fully supporting it. And the graphical leap will easily be big enough over this gen. It simply won't be overshooting the market this time.

Wow!!

Thats is a fanboyism working at its best.

360 is able to run any PS3 exclusive, serius guys, there is nothing in Uncharted 2 and 3 that is impossible to achieve with 360 hardware. Just give them a plastic engine, time, and MONEY and a good team of developers could make wonderful things.

The problema with PS3 fanboys is that they were iluded by Sony that lauched a hardware 50% more expensive one year later. And now, 6 years later they can only bost a handfull of games that "would be impossible on the 360"...

Well, I can only say to that: "Cross game chatting".