By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN: Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

VGKing said:
Seems like a reasonable rumor. Graphics card isn't too weak or too powerful.
Pretty good specs if you ask me. Imagine a game that looks 6x better than Gears 3? I know it doesn't actually scale that way but you get what I mean :D

Not much better then it does now if it's going to run in 1080p60.
Most people seem to forget that 720p to 1080p is almost as big a jump as 480p to 720p.
1080p will only become more relevant next gen. All bigger size tv's are 1080p now and 55" seems to be the norm atm. My local store has led tv's up to 80" on display.

Having current gen games running at 1080p60 is not a bad thing of course, with some higher res textures it would probably look pretty good. It depends on how it all scales whether 6x is enough to double the texture data, quadruple the pixel fill-rate, and up all the effect buffers for shadows and lighting.

But it would be nice if there will be a bit more head room for innovation in AI and procedural gameplay. With this relative small increase in power it looks like the demand for better looking games to distinguish themselves from this gen is going to max out the available resources pretty quickly.

Around the Network

Interesting stuff and right in line with everything else.

Not the same scale of a jump as last gen.
New enough to create a difference from last gen that consumers can see.
Old enough to be cost effective, lower heat and power needs to be in the SOC design.

Also, fits right with WiiU in that its not a big jump, basically a PS2 to Xbox type of difference.

Wyrdness said:
VGKing said:
Pavolink said:
Xbox360 is powerful machine to me. Being x6 it will be very good for its succesor. Also, WiiU having the same ind of architecture as the 720 will be a step in te right direction for the 3rd party support.

That's a horrible thing IMO. That means PS4, Xbox 720 and Wii U will have the exact same games. We know 3rd parties won't use the tablet.

It'll be good for Nintendo since it wil mean easy ports. But it'll be bad for consumers since they won't be able to tell the difference between these consoles.

That's what first party titles and marketing is for.

Probably why MS is on a binge opening new studios. Why would 3rd party studios develop for Kinect 2.0 anymore then for the WiiU tablet if they can easily release on 3 platforms instead of 1.
Now the question is, is Sony going to do anything with move next gen?

Sevengen said:
@Mr. Khan said....

"Sounds reasonable to me. It's more likely in my mind that Microsoft and Sony aren't going to take as big a leap with their next consoles as they did with the 360 and PS3. One easily forgets that PS360 were easily 3 years too soon, as evidenced by their unprecedented sales patterns."

How does one 'easily' forget that the PS360 were released 3 years too soon??... lol.
I'm pretty sure, well absolutely sure actually, that neither console was released early. I think they both came to retail at the exact time they're respective producers intended.
I think what you're easily forgetting, or not recognizing all together, is that the PS3 and 360 are drastically different video game consoles than they're predecessors, incorporating so many different types of entertainment into single, convergent-type machines, that basing expected lifetime market performance on the historical sales curve of prior consoles is completely inaccurate, if only because those previous game-decks were just that, simple gaming consoles.
These ain't your daddy's video game systems so to speak.
I think what you term as '3 years too soon' is in reality a testament to the amazingly, long-term design approach that both Microsoft and Sony employed when building their consoles, ensuring themselves a stable gaming platform that would be powerful enough to at least keep pace with the flux of technology as the general public sees it, and adaptable enough to fool those people who pay closer attention.
If you look at the 360 today.....
'one easily forgets this is the same console that launched with an entirely different user interface, a comparably weak, if almost non-existent, menu of alternative entertainment options, and a game catalogue that included the likes of 'King Kong' and 'Perfect Dark Zero'
Those unprecedented sales patterns you referenced are a result of the intuition, hard work, and opposition to convention that both companies have demonstrated in growing their consoles. The network of games and entertainment options offered is like absolutely nothing before, so why would the sales patterns of either follow historical record?

Excellent Post.

@OP, I do want at least 1 of the 3 consoles to be "overpowered"- something which provides a seemingly limitless resource for creating beautiful games for years and years.

If Microsoft is making a console with specs so close to the wiiU, then to me- that is a selling point for Nintendo. This makes me consider the WiiU more.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Sevengen said:
@Mr. Khan said....

"Sounds reasonable to me. It's more likely in my mind that Microsoft and Sony aren't going to take as big a leap with their next consoles as they did with the 360 and PS3. One easily forgets that PS360 were easily 3 years too soon, as evidenced by their unprecedented sales patterns."

How does one 'easily' forget that the PS360 were released 3 years too soon??... lol.
I'm pretty sure, well absolutely sure actually, that neither console was released early. I think they both came to retail at the exact time they're respective producers intended.
I think what you're easily forgetting, or not recognizing all together, is that the PS3 and 360 are drastically different video game consoles than they're predecessors, incorporating so many different types of entertainment into single, convergent-type machines, that basing expected lifetime market performance on the historical sales curve of prior consoles is completely inaccurate, if only because those previous game-decks were just that, simple gaming consoles.
These ain't your daddy's video game systems so to speak.
I think what you term as '3 years too soon' is in reality a testament to the amazingly, long-term design approach that both Microsoft and Sony employed when building their consoles, ensuring themselves a stable gaming platform that would be powerful enough to at least keep pace with the flux of technology as the general public sees it, and adaptable enough to fool those people who pay closer attention.
If you look at the 360 today.....
'one easily forgets this is the same console that launched with an entirely different user interface, a comparably weak, if almost non-existent, menu of alternative entertainment options, and a game catalogue that included the likes of 'King Kong' and 'Perfect Dark Zero'
Those unprecedented sales patterns you referenced are a result of the intuition, hard work, and opposition to convention that both companies have demonstrated in growing their consoles. The network of games and entertainment options offered is like absolutely nothing before, so why would the sales patterns of either follow historical record?

You're acting as if everything played out exactly as Microsoft and Sony intended. It is clear that the PS3 and Xbox 360 were nowhere near as well-received initially as either company had planned (PS3 moreso than 360 for obvious reasons), and so they scrambled to make the devices acceptable, a process which was only partially successful under their own power, and the true success was due to market forces beyond their control and a spot of ineptitude from the competition

Also you argue that the nongaming functions of these devices have anything to do with how well they sell, which i would argue is a crock. Years of excellent third party support (due to the anti-Nintendo conspiracy) combined with the general decline in technology prices are what make the PS3 and 360 worth buying in the last couple of years. Early on, they were niche, trapped in a place too advanced in price and features for what consumers actually demanded, and i would argue that they remain a little too far out for some people, but that the preponderence of third party support due to the conspiracy fixed their problems (as well as the spectacular way Nintendo dropped the ball with Wii headed into 2011) fixed their problems

"Your daddies" game systems sold because they played games. 360 and PS3 sell almost solely because they play games, or create environments centered around gaming (the appeal of LIVE would be nil were it not for its primary function). 360 and PS3 struggled out of the gate because they did not play the kinds of games consumers wanted, because they tried to be more than consumers cared to ask for.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

It'll be interesting to see if the Next Box and Wii-U end up being relatively close (PS2 to Xbox, or maybe even Dreamcast to Xbox.) in specs.

Would the PS4 then have an advantage if it launched with a MUCH beefier system then the two, or would it lose out on multiplats and third party support that would actually take advantage of its extra horse power?

Seems reasonably powerful but not too powerful. This is good to keep costs down and 3rd party devs happy.

Now all I need is confirmation it will get a headstart on PS4 :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
I already know the hardware will be great. I want to know about the games.

Well rumors say that Rare, Turn 10 and Lionhead are all ready hard at work, so thats 3-4 games within the launch window. I say 4 because Rare could easily make 2 games since I seriously doubt Kinect Sports 1 and 2 took up much of their resources. 

But I suspect you want to know about its games in the same way that I want to know about PS4 games....so you can poke holes in them :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

$299-$349 price point.

http://hardware-navi.com/gpu.php
actually,if MS target 6x 360 power,they will use 6850 level GPU