By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN: Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Sounds very reasonable to me.
XBox 360 is already very powerful. And if the next machine was 6 times as powerful you'd definitely notice that and I believe that it would be enough power.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
zarx said:

doubt it 

Why would they use a modified 6670 when a 7970m uses less power and is at least twice as powerful? If they want a low power chip going for a low end desktop GPU is stupid when the low power low heat mobile GPUs exist.

Model Launch Code name Transistors (Million) Memory (MiB) Clock rate Config core Fillrate Fillrate Memory Memory Memory GFLOPS TDP3 (W)
              Pixel (GP/s) Texture (GT/s) Bandwidth (GB/s) type Bus width (bit)    
Radeon HD 7950M Q4 2011[98] Thames Pro[79]   2048 700 1409:28:32 24.3 71.7 155 GDDR5 256 1749 50
Radeon HD 7970M Q4 2011[98] Thames XT[79]   2048 800 1537:36:32 28.7 87.4 172 GDDR5 256 2017 65
Radeon HD 6670 4/19/2011 Turks  716 512/1024 800 480:24:08 6.4 19.2 64 GDDR5 128 768 66
Xenos (Xbox 360) 11/22/2005 R500, C1 232 512 (shared)             10 eDRAM 500 48:16:08 4 8 22.4 (256EDRAM) GDDR3 128 240  

They're probably aiming to make a good profit at launch.

Adobo said:
Fu&*! if this is true. I will just buy a mid-range pc next year instead.

Go do that.

Graphics and Power isn't why I have a console as my main gaming system. It's games library and convenience.

Pavolink said:
Xbox360 is powerful machine to me. Being x6 it will be very good for its succesor. Also, WiiU having the same ind of architecture as the 720 will be a step in te right direction for the 3rd party support.

That's a horrible thing IMO. That means PS4, Xbox 720 and Wii U will have the exact same games. We know 3rd parties won't use the tablet.

It'll be good for Nintendo since it wil mean easy ports. But it'll be bad for consumers since they won't be able to tell the difference between these consoles.

@happy squirrel...... "Personally, I wouldn't phrase it as "The PS3 was released too early" though; I think of it more along the likes of "Sony was trying to push technology further than was practical" ...

I can agree with that. Practical being the corner Sony painted itself into by concentrating so much cost and development time on the Cell itself without, in my opinion, giving due concern to the other members of the 'team'... the GPU, RAM and other tech stuff I'm not that well versed in but am sure suffered a bit under the giant shadow of the PS3's world-eating CPU

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Argh_College said:
underhwelming if true.

its IGN so i hope its fake

IGN is pretty reliable. They only post these types of rumors when they seem to be true. Plus, they have their own source, so they're not lying.

Remember when they posted the Wii U rumors? yeah, ended up being real.

(look at 3DS spec,cafe rumors)

huh

VGKing said:
Pavolink said:
Xbox360 is powerful machine to me. Being x6 it will be very good for its succesor. Also, WiiU having the same ind of architecture as the 720 will be a step in te right direction for the 3rd party support.

That's a horrible thing IMO. That means PS4, Xbox 720 and Wii U will have the exact same games. We know 3rd parties won't use the tablet.

It'll be good for Nintendo since it wil mean easy ports. But it'll be bad for consumers since they won't be able to tell the difference between these consoles.

That's what first party titles and marketing is for.

VGKing said:
Pavolink said:

I disagree, if Nintendo has a good install base they will spend money to make their game unique on the Wii U.  Rocksteady has already hinted about really cool features that will be on Arkham City.  

chriscox1121 said:
VGKing said:
Pavolink said:

I disagree, if Nintendo has a good install base they will spend money to make their game unique on the Wii U.  Rocksteady has already hinted about really cool features that will be on Arkham City.  

and besides that, who says MS and Sony won't copy the tech?

Wyrdness said:
VGKing said:
Pavolink said:

That's what first party titles and marketing is for.

EDIT: NVM