By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anonymous Threaten To Take Down Xbox LIVE Servers, Youtube, Facebook, PSN. Edit: CBS website taken down and more

Tagged games:

Adinnieken said:
NintendoPie said:
Adinnieken said:
NintendoPie said:
VGKing said:
Adinnieken said:
From what I've read, it seems as though the MegaUpload folk knew what was happening on their site, allowed it to happen, and even participated in it. That's why they weren't afforded safe harbor under the DMCA and that's why the US government went after them.

Megaupload has a system in place where copyright holders can issue a takedown notice. It's similar to Youtube.

Is that the thing where the video goes private/goes away on Youtube? The copyright owner taking them down?

No, when a YouTube video is removed, it is inaccessable by both the original uploader as well as the public.  In addition, the public is notified that the content was removed due to infringement (kinder language is used).  The original uploader is notified that their content has been removed, linked to YouTube's upload policy, and reminded that they get one more strike before they go to copyright school or get banned.

Thanks. But, Copy Right School?

From what I recall, YouTube offers a reprieve to members who obtain two strikes.  After the second strike, you have to go through an online presentation on copyright, then swear you won't infringe on copyrighted material again.  If you do that, you get your account back.

Oh. I didn't know anything about that, maybe their just trying to make jail sound nicer? XD (jk)

Around the Network
pezus said:
enrageorange said:

how dare the US government pull the plug on a website... Everyone should know by now only Annonymous has the right to do that...

This wasn't just any website and certainly not a US one. What gives them the right to pull down a foreign website?

Well, technically it wasn't a foreign website.  It was a US website.  Any Internet domain with the .COM, .NET, .ORG, or .GOV is a US-based website.

The US Government forecasted its intentions some time ago and stated that it would consider any US registered website bound by US law because legally speaking those sites are doing business in the US.  Even individuals are bound by international law or for US citizens another state's laws when the servers are located in another country or state.  The only difference is that the US government said, if you're using a US registrar for your domain, which the ICANN is the US registrar of domains, then you're going to be subject to US law.  As well, the US government acted on this threat previously, which for any foreign company whose operations were not fully on the up and up might have wanted to consider moving their domain to a local registrar.  For MegaUplodad it would have meant an .HK domain.

So, that's the legal loophole the US government used to go after MegaUpload once it discovered what was going on.  And if I recall correctly, this all happened because MegaUpload shined a big, bright light on their competition, suggesting what other companies were up to.

As far as criminals go, they were arrogant and stupid, which is a bad combination for a someone doing something illegal.

It's not easy to understand why they would attack Live...

AstroMaSSi rules

BasilZero said:
sethnintendo said:

I wouldn't mind Youtube going down considering they put all those bs paid commercials you have to watch before a lot of the videos.  Perhaps they should just attack Vevo considering I have to see their damn ads the most....  Fuck Vevo...  Yes, I know all sites need ads but do I really have to watch 20 Vevo ads in a row.  Also, it should be a lot easier find uncensored version of songs.  Try listening to this classic song that Vevo offers on Youtube.  Apparently, Vevo doesn't have enough balls to have uncensored music.

Fuck censorship

Do you use Fire Fox or Google Chrome? If you do, install AdBlock+.  It blocks all advertisments , even the youtube video ones. I havent seen a single advertisment in Youtube over a year since I started using it.

Thank you so much, I just installed that shit in like 5 seconds and it's awesome.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Naum said:
Megaupload? weird.. have never heard of them

Piratebay on the other hand :).. wait what happened to the piratebay threat 1-2 years back? beacuse it's still up and running :)

Go to Wikipedia, and search for The Pirate Bay, it's all right there.

Basically though, no one knows where their servers are now. 

Around the Network

Anonymous is basically 4chan without the sense of humor.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NintendoPie said:

Oh. I didn't know anything about that, maybe their just trying to make jail sound nicer? XD (jk)

No, they're trying to give people one final chance.

You have to understand, not everyone is clearly violating copyright.  There is fair use and fair use is a very grey area.

pezus said:
enrageorange said:

how dare the US government pull the plug on a website... Everyone should know by now only Annonymous has the right to do that...

This wasn't just any website and certainly not a US one. What gives them the right to pull down a foreign website?

thats exactly the point. What gives annonymous the right to pull the websites it is threatening to. Last I checked most of those listed are not owned by annonymous. It's not like they even own megauploads. Its like in retaliation for having your friend go to jail, you kidnap a bunch of random children.

Seece said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
they won't touch XBL, but i know they can if they wanted to.

never bet against the mind. it's a great thing to waste.

How do you know? You don't you're just guessing.

Also what stupid reasoning 'never bet against the mind'

that's all you've got. what a stupid reason to quote someone. don't waste my time with nonsense like this.

BasilZero said:

Do you use Fire Fox or Google Chrome? If you do, install AdBlock+.  It blocks all advertisments , even the youtube video ones. I havent seen a single advertisment in Youtube over a year since I started using it.

I use Fire Fox and AdBlock+.  I didn't think AdBlock+ could block ads within the video you are trying to view on Youtube.  I haven't noticed any ads before videos recently but I did in the past (not sure if I was using AdBlock then).  I do know that AdBlock doesn't stop the video ads when clicking on VGC videos that they put on this site.