By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What happened to this website?

spurgeonryan said:
thranx said:
RVDondaPC said:
I stopped being active because the site, and more specifically, the forums take forever to load. The navigation isn't the best either so it becomes a task to be active, and a very annoying task at that. I only look at the top threads to the right of the home page and if none of the thread titles interest me, I leave. This thread happen to be on that list right now so I clicked it.

that covers a lot of it for me. The forums are a pin to navigate, and there are so many. We have a hot topics and recent threads, but they dont seem to update right or i dont know what requiers a thread to be recent/hot. But going into subforums is a pain i dont bother with it any more. General talk is too broken up, i dont think anyone goes to some of the sub forums any more.

Dont go into any sub forums. You have hot topics, latest topics, and my topics. Why go into sub forums? My topics is for threads you have posted in, latest topics are the latest topics, and hot topics can be whatever thread that has ever been made. Lets say some one bumped a thread from 4 years ago, hot topics will have it. Out of all the forums and gaming sites this is one of the easiest to manage. IGN, Mobygames, gameinformer, gamefaqs are all horrible to navigate!

I tell everyone ask the mods, or ask me. I will always answer a question!

It was far easier to navigate before all the changes. Now if someone posts in politics and I am not on in time to see it in hot topics or recnt threads its like it never happened. I dont like to post, but I like to read and lurk so the my topics section is pointless for me. They took away the ability to easyly navigate all the sub forums and it has drasticaly affected how much i come to this site. They do not have the sub forums in any drop down menu so to get from one to the other I have to go to the main forum every time. I also like to read by sections, so all the ms section, all the politics, etc. the other two lists mix everything up. I have no need to read about the ps3 or wii. They jsut made it clunky for me. It may be good for others, but its clunky for me. All they really need to add is a drop down menu with all the sub forums.

Around the Network

For me it is because there seem to be a fair few issues with the site. Can't reply to messages unless I go through firefox. Waaaaaay too many adverts in and around the page. It feels very cluttered and aggressive. Add to that you can't actually see the data makes it a bit pointless. No offence to VGC but as a gaming forum there are plenty of better ones out there. Look at gaf, far more popular then here and is a bog standard website. There is a lesson to be learned in that!
VGC was all about the numbers and without access to those there are less things to talk about. Add to that it becomes boring seeing a console nerd off in every thread.
But as I said main reason is the technical issues. The site just doesn't work properly.

EDIT: Just trying to post this reply took three attempts as kept getting the "ooops something is wrong" message.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Shinobi-san said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
many reasons as I see it

1. It's just that time of year..no big game related trade shows around so things are slowing down a lot.
2. Too much trolling from some old users and many new users who have forgotten the immediate past..the cycle will not end this way..I won't name names
3. imho some so called great posters actually contribute to the decline. I won't name them but I know around 3 who I believe to fit the bill. But they have been around for longer so no one speaks out against them.
4. some great posters got banned for some real stupid reasons..case in point Joeroc..one of the reasons I joined this place. Such an informative poster..and some posters have reduced posting due to various reasons case in point CGI..and some posters just stopped posting altogether..case in point darth (where the F r u)
5. due to flaming and trolling I have stopped even bothering with any section outside of Sony discussions now. Waste of my time. I don't post as much as I used to and I used to be like Nsanity with news related threads. Not anymore. I am more than happy with my official Vita thread and I post around 90% of my posts there. I know few others who do the same
6. As much as I don't like to say this, and as much as some will not like to admit it, with the new changes and constant adjustments (some being huge ones) the credibility of this site have taken a hit. Considering that's the main attraction of this place over a place like NeoGaf, that's a bit of an issue. The three regions VGC track the best, also gets numbers from even more popular sources. For example NA NPD, Japan Mediacreate, Europe (forgot the name..the guys whose numbers ninty uses in their report). This is just my honest opinion on the matter

I do believe it will be fine tho :) things will get better..some things like the moderation team has already gotten better so I am hopeful

Interesting reasons M.U.G.E.N :)

I agree with bolded, i was thinking the very same thing.

With regards to CGI, i think he has stated many times why he wasnt as active as he use to be, and think it has something to do with bolded as well.

glad to see someone else see it as well :)

and my goodness.. :S people are actually using THIS thread to troll as well if you look some posts above you smh... "goes back to the official vita thread'

If you consider that stating the obvious (Vita sales problems in Japan) in a sales forum is trolling, as you imply I'm doing, then you need to grow a thicker skin. Jeez, I didn't see you get this defensive when a lot of posts were laughing at 3DS sales.

I think this is a big problem, the everything bad said about my console of preference is trolling crowd is killing the debate.

What I think is happening in the theres so many people with strong opinions, if someone like myself didn't have strong opinion its rather "scary".to say.anything.

The thing thats changed since the site began is theres now alot of people that know a huge amount about everything, and theres more stubborn people that aren't willing to look at something from another angle.

Sephiroth357 said:

I remember when people would post instantaneously and regularly. 

The forum on this website is lifeless now. I understand that the layout has been altered; people have their own lives; the gaming industry is not at its best, but what drove so many users away?

What happened?

The Grinch stole (most of) the numbers and charts, and now teh site is D0M3D!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Just look at this beautiful picture of vgchartz's old design, everything was there on the front page for you and it still wasn't messy or hard to navigate. The colour scheme is brilliant too, I get excited about charts just looking at this.