Forums - General Discussion - What happened to this website?

kitler53 said:
tarheel91 said:
This website is all about sales, and at the end of the generation when everything is decided, sales aren't as fun. There'll be another big spike once the big 3 release their next consoles.


you do realize that a new gen (3DS vs. vita) has already begun and still no one is excited, right?


How can we be excited with one console destroying sales wise the other? Right now it's like watching a heavyweight fighting with a 10 years old boy.



Around the Network

But to be honest I'd rather have a dead thread then one full of posts by annoying little girls like Nintendo Fan Girl or invisible29.



Many people will blame the lack of excitement in gaming (the end of the 7th generation, the slower release of mega-hits, etc.), but there's more to it than that. Compare Vgchartz to how it was in 2007-09, and you'll see that:

-Threads used to easily grow to hundreds of posts. Really popular ones grew to over 1,000. Meta-threads like the classic Super Smash Bros. Brawl thread grew to over 10,000 posts. Now even the best discussions are lucky if they cross 100 posts.

-Plenty of great members have left and have been replaced by spam-bots, spam users (who unfortunately can't be banned as easily), and blatant trolls. The decline was pretty gradual but I really put a lot of the blame on Vgchartz 3.0. What was the point of making a badges/points system? To encourage people to add iPhone games to the database? Who cares?

-Many of the old news articles used to get a lot of views. A couple even got over 200,000 views. Now the classic GOTY segment, which used to net a ton of views with its articles, is lucky to get a couple thousand views per article. The news section got flooded by every last crappy article until the entire integrity of the section was destroyed and people got fatigued by information overload. I pretty much only read the Japan previews whereas I used to enjoy a lot of the Vgchartz features like the Top 10 lists and Rocketpig's editorials.

-There is a lack of great new members joining. There are plenty of great users on this site who I enjoy talking to and whose posts I enjoy reading, but their threads and opinions often get flooded out by the sheer stupidity of others. The elimination games, the posting for the sake of posting, just...ugh.

-In general, the site is a disorganized mess. It's slow, the sections are clunky, and there's just too much happening at once. Too many hyperlinks, too many ads and banners, too many colors, messy signatures, and so on. This sort of builds off my point with the news section but it's another case of information overload. I don't believe that Vgchartz has to be some small site just for numbers, but there's just too much stuff on each screen. Hopefully this site will be better organized with the redesign but I've been burned before.

I'll add more as I think of it but it's no surprise that the site is languishing.



 

 

Kynes said:
kitler53 said:
tarheel91 said:
This website is all about sales, and at the end of the generation when everything is decided, sales aren't as fun. There'll be another big spike once the big 3 release their next consoles.


you do realize that a new gen (3DS vs. vita) has already begun and still no one is excited, right?


How can we be excited with one console destroying sales wise the other? Right now it's like watching a heavyweight fighting with a 10 years old boy.

when ps3 was getting destroyed we were more than happy to discuss and analyse the situation so a fail to see your point.



kitler53 said:
Kynes said:
kitler53 said:
tarheel91 said:
This website is all about sales, and at the end of the generation when everything is decided, sales aren't as fun. There'll be another big spike once the big 3 release their next consoles.


you do realize that a new gen (3DS vs. vita) has already begun and still no one is excited, right?


How can we be excited with one console destroying sales wise the other? Right now it's like watching a heavyweight fighting with a 10 years old boy.

when ps3 was getting destroyed we were more than happy to discuss and analyse the situation so a fail to see your point.

That was because no one expected the Ps3 to obliviated in the beginning. So of course a lot of people would like to discuss that. Some were more genuine with their intentions than others obviously, but there was some great discussing to be had about it.



Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Kynes said:
kitler53 said:
tarheel91 said:
This website is all about sales, and at the end of the generation when everything is decided, sales aren't as fun. There'll be another big spike once the big 3 release their next consoles.


you do realize that a new gen (3DS vs. vita) has already begun and still no one is excited, right?


How can we be excited with one console destroying sales wise the other? Right now it's like watching a heavyweight fighting with a 10 years old boy.

when ps3 was getting destroyed we were more than happy to discuss and analyse the situation so a fail to see your point.

PS3 was never outsold 5 to 1 by the Wii or the X360.



many reasons as I see it

1. It's just that time of year..no big game related trade shows around so things are slowing down a lot.
2. Too much trolling from some old users and many new users who have forgotten the immediate past..the cycle will not end this way..I won't name names
3. imho some so called great posters actually contribute to the decline. I won't name them but I know around 3 who I believe to fit the bill. But they have been around for longer so no one speaks out against them.
4. some great posters got banned for some real stupid reasons..case in point Joeroc..one of the reasons I joined this place. Such an informative poster..and some posters have reduced posting due to various reasons case in point CGI..and some posters just stopped posting altogether..case in point darth (where the F r u)
5. due to flaming and trolling I have stopped even bothering with any section outside of Sony discussions now. Waste of my time. I don't post as much as I used to and I used to be like Nsanity with news related threads. Not anymore. I am more than happy with my official Vita thread and I post around 90% of my posts there. I know few others who do the same
6. As much as I don't like to say this, and as much as some will not like to admit it, with the new changes and constant adjustments (some being huge ones) the credibility of this site have taken a hit. Considering that's the main attraction of this place over a place like NeoGaf, that's a bit of an issue. The three regions VGC track the best, also gets numbers from even more popular sources. For example NA NPD, Japan Mediacreate, Europe (forgot the name..the guys whose numbers ninty uses in their report). This is just my honest opinion on the matter

I do believe it will be fine tho :) things will get better..some things like the moderation team has already gotten better so I am hopeful



In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

why do people always complain about spambots and posting for the sake of posting,i've seen users spam their way to over 15,000 posts over the years and no one says anything but new people get criticised,we are a community whatever is going on

if we were all the same what would be the point and you don't have to worry about feeling old,its good to have a diverse age group,i'd be more worried if was 18-26 and on here 24-7 to be honest >_>



                                                                                                                                        Above & Beyond

   

M.U.G.E.N said:
many reasons as I see it

1. It's just that time of year..no big game related trade shows around so things are slowing down a lot.
2. Too much trolling from some old users and many new users who have forgotten the immediate past..the cycle will not end this way..I won't name names
3. imho some so called great posters actually contribute to the decline. I won't name them but I know around 3 who I believe to fit the bill. But they have been around for longer so no one speaks out against them.
4. some great posters got banned for some real stupid reasons..case in point Joeroc..one of the reasons I joined this place. Such an informative poster..and some posters have reduced posting due to various reasons case in point CGI..and some posters just stopped posting altogether..case in point darth (where the F r u)
5. due to flaming and trolling I have stopped even bothering with any section outside of Sony discussions now. Waste of my time. I don't post as much as I used to and I used to be like Nsanity with news related threads. Not anymore. I am more than happy with my official Vita thread and I post around 90% of my posts there. I know few others who do the same
6. As much as I don't like to say this, and as much as some will not like to admit it, with the new changes and constant adjustments (some being huge ones) the credibility of this site have taken a hit. Considering that's the main attraction of this place over a place like NeoGaf, that's a bit of an issue. The three regions VGC track the best, also gets numbers from even more popular sources. For example NA NPD, Japan Mediacreate, Europe (forgot the name..the guys whose numbers ninty uses in their report). This is just my honest opinion on the matter

I do believe it will be fine tho :) things will get better..some things like the moderation team has already gotten better so I am hopeful

Interesting reasons M.U.G.E.N :)

I agree with bolded, i was thinking the very same thing.

With regards to CGI, i think he has stated many times why he wasnt as active as he use to be, and think it has something to do with bolded as well.



Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
many reasons as I see it

1. It's just that time of year..no big game related trade shows around so things are slowing down a lot.
2. Too much trolling from some old users and many new users who have forgotten the immediate past..the cycle will not end this way..I won't name names
3. imho some so called great posters actually contribute to the decline. I won't name them but I know around 3 who I believe to fit the bill. But they have been around for longer so no one speaks out against them.
4. some great posters got banned for some real stupid reasons..case in point Joeroc..one of the reasons I joined this place. Such an informative poster..and some posters have reduced posting due to various reasons case in point CGI..and some posters just stopped posting altogether..case in point darth (where the F r u)
5. due to flaming and trolling I have stopped even bothering with any section outside of Sony discussions now. Waste of my time. I don't post as much as I used to and I used to be like Nsanity with news related threads. Not anymore. I am more than happy with my official Vita thread and I post around 90% of my posts there. I know few others who do the same
6. As much as I don't like to say this, and as much as some will not like to admit it, with the new changes and constant adjustments (some being huge ones) the credibility of this site have taken a hit. Considering that's the main attraction of this place over a place like NeoGaf, that's a bit of an issue. The three regions VGC track the best, also gets numbers from even more popular sources. For example NA NPD, Japan Mediacreate, Europe (forgot the name..the guys whose numbers ninty uses in their report). This is just my honest opinion on the matter

I do believe it will be fine tho :) things will get better..some things like the moderation team has already gotten better so I am hopeful

Interesting reasons M.U.G.E.N :)

I agree with bolded, i was thinking the very same thing.

With regards to CGI, i think he has stated many times why he wasnt as active as he use to be, and think it has something to do with bolded as well.


glad to see someone else see it as well :)

and my goodness.. :S people are actually using THIS thread to troll as well if you look some posts above you smh... "goes back to the official vita thread'



In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!