By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
insomniac17 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
insomniac17 said:

I think it would be better, since I don't want any random person being beaten on the streets on any basis whatsoever, to punish the people who were actually responsible in a very severe manner. This will serve two purposes, as I have stated before. One, I guarantee that they will think twice before they ever do something like that again. Two, other people thinking about doing it will hear about the awful punishment that they'll get if caught, and think twice before doing it.

The justice system should serve not only as a punishment to those who commit crimes, but as a deterrant so that others do not also commit those crimes. If the punishment is actual punishment, then it will get the message across. Punishing the parents won't stop the kids from doing this again, and I don't think that "rehabilitating" them or whatever will either. They'll go through the program, smile and nod, and then go right back to doing that they were doing. I think that punishment is a far better motivation to not do something like that again.

And, there we are back to their parents and/or "friends" who made them do it.

They are well aware of what punishments await, yet they still commit crimes... How come? Well, again back to "the source" who didn't raise them good enough to understand what consequences beating up another human being could have for them when they grow up.

Teaching is the key!

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Some of you guys are way too emotional. That was a massage compared to some stuff you can find in the net, no matter how racist or coward you think it was. Some dude was savagely beaten by some punks, and that was it Sadly, this kind of stuff can and does happen everywhere several times a day.

Seven billion people in the world = shit happens.

But out of those seven billion people, when that one person is you, you'll probably like a little empathy.  Just saying.  We aren't heartless, here.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
zuvuyeay said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
insomniac17 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
haxxiy said:
Some of you guys are way too emotional. That was a massage compared to some stuff you can find in the net, no matter how racist or coward you think it was. Some dude was savagely beaten by some punks, and that was it Sadly, this kind of stuff can and does happen everywhere several times a day.

This.

Take note, learn from it, move on.

Emotional? I don't think so. Sure, it may happen a lot, but that doesn't mean it's right or any less detestable. The fact that it does happen so much seems to imply that there should be more severe consequences to those that are caught. I think that anyone who does it should be punished severely. It is wrong. Maybe if people were punished more harshly for doing crap like this that they know is wrong, fewer people would be dumb enough to do it.

Let's put it into perspective. Here in Sweden where I live there are WAY less severe punishments for crimes, yet they happen less often. To stop an issues you always have to take out the source first which, in this case, is the parents who raise their kids wrongy and who don't set boundaries. The parents are the ones deserving a punishment for making such mistakes. The kids on the other hand deserves treatment for lack of sympathy or whatever their aftermaths may be. They can't be punished for having useless parents; it's not their fault. I would rather see the criminals saying sorry to the victum and his relatives than seeing the criminals beaten up for faulty upbringing.

It feels kind of weird that I actually have to tell people this. About any grown up person I know would consider this to be obvious reasoning, but then again, not everyone lives here where even putting kids in jail wouldn't be a consideration, by law.

sweden,denmmark etc are beautiful and very switched on countries but they are small compared to britain let alone the USA,if your populations were the size of ours with the massive mash up of cultures and seperation of communities,i promise you  your polticians and policies that we hear so much about wouldn't make the blindest bit of diiference,its dog eat dog over here

Thank you :D

Anyways: "With great power comes great responsibility".

America, UK and such big countries should try harder. The rich guys controls the poor guys opinions way too much. I mean 2 mayor parties to vote for?, come on. This country is tiny, yet we have more than 11 with influence.

well britain will go that way i assume,england anyway more parties etc and we are a tiny country too,don't get me wrong but we have a larger population in a very small amount of urban areas,with major culture clashes which can go off with a tiny spark

the real big boys like the usa,china,russia,brasil,india ,it will be interesting to see how they deal with all their social issues which wil be new for all of them as modern power econmies apart from the us,they will have to police the world and deal with home issues,i will enjoy getting all PC with them as people do with us now,can't wait infact <_O

Above & Beyond

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
insomniac17 said:

I think it would be better, since I don't want any random person being beaten on the streets on any basis whatsoever, to punish the people who were actually responsible in a very severe manner. This will serve two purposes, as I have stated before. One, I guarantee that they will think twice before they ever do something like that again. Two, other people thinking about doing it will hear about the awful punishment that they'll get if caught, and think twice before doing it.

The justice system should serve not only as a punishment to those who commit crimes, but as a deterrant so that others do not also commit those crimes. If the punishment is actual punishment, then it will get the message across. Punishing the parents won't stop the kids from doing this again, and I don't think that "rehabilitating" them or whatever will either. They'll go through the program, smile and nod, and then go right back to doing that they were doing. I think that punishment is a far better motivation to not do something like that again.

They are well aware of what punishments await, yet they still commit crimes... How come? Well, again back to "the source" who didn't raise them good enough to understand what consequences beating up another human being could have for them when they grow up.

Teaching is the key!

We don't know that anyone made them do it. They could have acted on their own. Seems to me like they did. Why did they do it? Whatever the reason, they did do it. By that age, they should know that it's wrong. Thus, the fact remains that they should be punished for their actions. Even if someone did tell them to do it, they still made the choice to do it themselves. They didn't have to. But they did. And even if they didn't know it was wrong. Punishing them will show them that it is wrong. There is no reason for them not to know; hurting someone is never okay, and even if your parents sucked at teaching, you'd still see that in school when kids get punished for bullying other kids.

You're trying to punish a "source" that may not actually be the source. It may be, but that doesn't change the fact that these kids still chose to do it themselves, knowing that it's wrong. The source could be friends, or it could be them thinking that this guy was a geek and they didn't like that. Punishing them will teach them that it is wrong. I guarantee it. And it will be far more effective than any other method of "rehabilitation" that you can think of.

Also, saying they are aware of the punishments of committing the crime implies that you're saying that they know it's a crime, and thus that they don't need teaching that it is wrong, but need punishment for knowingly and willingly committing that crime. Severe punishment to ensure that it does not happen again.

pezus said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Teaching is the key!

I totally agree with you. Harsh punishment is not the way, as is quite obvious just from looking at the US vs. other countries with lower crime rates yet less punishment. The US being huge is not a valid excuse imo, it's not like you see clashes of people across the country like this

It's not the US being huge, it's the US being a giant mess of cultures from across the world that may not see eye to eye on many different things. Also, I do not think that many punishments are severe enough, which is the problem. From what I recall (which I admit could be wrong), I remember reading news articles about homeless people who would commit crimes because they wanted to be in jail; it was better than wherever they were before.

Many of those countries with lower crime rates and less punishment are not nearly as culturally diverse as the US is, and will not experience this kind of problem on the same level that the US does.

And if the punishment was something like hard physical labor 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the duration of the stay in prison, it would be a far better deterrant than what you see today.

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
zuvuyeay said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
insomniac17 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
haxxiy said:

This.

Take note, learn from it, move on.

Emotional? I don't think so. Sure, it may happen a lot, but that doesn't mean it's right or any less detestable. The fact that it does happen so much seems to imply that there should be more severe consequences to those that are caught. I think that anyone who does it should be punished severely. It is wrong. Maybe if people were punished more harshly for doing crap like this that they know is wrong, fewer people would be dumb enough to do it.

Let's put it into perspective. Here in Sweden where I live there are WAY less severe punishments for crimes, yet they happen less often. To stop an issues you always have to take out the source first which, in this case, is the parents who raise their kids wrongy and who don't set boundaries. The parents are the ones deserving a punishment for making such mistakes. The kids on the other hand deserves treatment for lack of sympathy or whatever their aftermaths may be. They can't be punished for having useless parents; it's not their fault. I would rather see the criminals saying sorry to the victum and his relatives than seeing the criminals beaten up for faulty upbringing.

It feels kind of weird that I actually have to tell people this. About any grown up person I know would consider this to be obvious reasoning, but then again, not everyone lives here where even putting kids in jail wouldn't be a consideration, by law.

sweden,denmmark etc are beautiful and very switched on countries but they are small compared to britain let alone the USA,if your populations were the size of ours with the massive mash up of cultures and seperation of communities,i promise you  your polticians and policies that we hear so much about wouldn't make the blindest bit of diiference,its dog eat dog over here

Thank you :D

Anyways: "With great power comes great responsibility".

America, UK and such big countries should try harder. The rich guys controls the poor guys opinions way too much. I mean 2 mayor parties to vote for?, come on. This country is tiny, yet we have more than 11 with influence.

well britain will go that way i assume,england anyway more parties etc and we are a tiny country too,don't get me wrong but we have a larger population in a very small amount of urban areas,with major culture clashes which can go off with a tiny spark

the real big boys like the usa,china,russia,brasil,india ,it will be interesting to see how they deal with all their social issues which wil be new for all of them as modern power econmies apart from the us,they will have to police the world and deal with home issues,i will enjoy getting all PC with them as people do with us now,can't wait infact <_O

It seems we completely agree :)

pezus said:
insomniac17 said:

Also, saying they are aware of the punishments of committing the crime implies that you're saying that they know it's a crime, and thus that they don't need teaching that it is wrong, but need punishment for knowingly and willingly committing that crime. Severe punishment to ensure that it does not happen again.

That's the thing. Why do they knowingly and willingly commit crimes and will severe punishment fix that thinking? Doubt it. 

How will teaching help? They know it's a crime, and therefore know it's wrong. What's left to teach?

pezus said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
insomniac17 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
insomniac17 said:

Teaching is the key!

I totally agree with you. Harsh punishment is not the way, as is quite obvious just from looking at the US vs. other countries with lower crime rates yet less punishment. The US being huge is not a valid excuse imo, it's not like you see clashes of people across the country like this

Now THAT's a solid argument :P

pezus said:
insomniac17 said:

How will teaching help? They know it's a crime, and therefore know it's wrong. What's left to teach?

They are pretty much lost causes, that's my point. Something needs to be fixed so such upbringings don't happen. They know it's a crime, but in their minds, what they're doing is not wrong. 

If they're a lost cause, then why not punish them? You can't just let them get away with it because they're a "lost cause." They should be thrown in jail for their crimes. Maybe they don't see it's wrong, but if the punishment is so bad that they don't want to go back again, then that will act as a deterrant, and thus keep them from committing more of these crimes even though they don't see it as wrong.

pezus said:
insomniac17 said:
pezus said:
insomniac17 said:

They are pretty much lost causes, that's my point. Something needs to be fixed so such upbringings don't happen. They know it's a crime, but in their minds, what they're doing is not wrong. 

If they're a lost cause, then why not punish them? You can't just let them get away with it because they're a "lost cause." They should be thrown in jail for their crimes. Maybe they don't see it's wrong, but if the punishment is so bad that they don't want to go back again, then that will act as a deterrant, and thus keep them from committing more of these crimes even though they don't see it as wrong.

I'm not saying they shouldn't go to jail. Punishing just for the sake of punishing though...I don't like it. If you're talking physical punishment they'll most likely take it out on someone else (projection I think it's called in English).

That is not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying punishment for the sake of justice, for the sake of showing them that it is wrong and not acceptable in society, and for the sake of the victim of their crime. And physical punishment? Not like physical abuse. I mean physical labor. Ever hear of chain gangs? They would be working and doing something productive to benefit society rather than sitting around in a cell all day doing nothing.  Repaying their debt to society. Would it be fun work? Heck no. Would it be a punishment and act as a deterrant? Yep. Of course, I wouldn't tolerate any humiliation or insults from the guards. They can't be treated poorly in that respect. And there's no need to starve them or anything like that. But putting in a hard day's work is not unreasonable.