By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official Anime Discussion Thread

Buzzi said:
Completed some series since I posted last time: Evangelion, Angel Beats and To Aru Majutsu no Index.

Is the second series of Index better than the first one? It really felt like an introduction to the characters...

Season 2 is better in my eyes. Also Railgun <3

Around the Network
Stefl1504 said:
Buzzi said:
Completed some series since I posted last time: Evangelion, Angel Beats and To Aru Majutsu no Index.

Is the second series of Index better than the first one? It really felt like an introduction to the characters...

Season 2 is better in my eyes. Also Railgun <3

Lol, I hear completely opposite opinions about the spinoff. Well, Kuroko is one of the best characters, I'll watch it just for more of her and Misaka :P

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

outlawauron said:
darkknightkryta said:
So Anime North finished up 5 hours ago and I'll say anime needs to find its way on the air on television. It's almost getting depressing. I mean I don't think I even saw a Naruto cosplay this year (Kakashi and the 4th fire shadow was all). So with that said, and with Toonami coming back, what anime do you think can be the next big thing to get the masses interested again? Something of Naruto/Bleach/Dragonball/Sailor Moon level?

I guess you need to define the masses. There are large US fanbases for plenty of shows, but they don't attract your standard cosplaying fan.

That said, I think Panty and Stocking (already a major hit) will do very well whenever it finally makes its way to TV.

Masses are children to adult.  There's generally one anime that manages to get most people to watch, as I have mentioned, something like Dragon Ball or Naruto.  And Panty and stocking is not a mainstream anime.  The "Mario" of anime so to speak, something you build around.

darkknightkryta said:
outlawauron said:
darkknightkryta said:
So Anime North finished up 5 hours ago and I'll say anime needs to find its way on the air on television. It's almost getting depressing. I mean I don't think I even saw a Naruto cosplay this year (Kakashi and the 4th fire shadow was all). So with that said, and with Toonami coming back, what anime do you think can be the next big thing to get the masses interested again? Something of Naruto/Bleach/Dragonball/Sailor Moon level?

I guess you need to define the masses. There are large US fanbases for plenty of shows, but they don't attract your standard cosplaying fan.

That said, I think Panty and Stocking (already a major hit) will do very well whenever it finally makes its way to TV.

Masses are children to adult.  There's generally one anime that manages to get most people to watch, as I have mentioned, something like Dragon Ball or Naruto.  And Panty and stocking is not a mainstream anime.  The "Mario" of anime so to speak, something you build around.

If South Park is a mainstream television show (it is), then Panty and Stocking is as well. Mainstream is determined by exposure and number of fans, or at least that what I assumed. Sure, it can't be play during the daytime, but it already has a giant following.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
darkknightkryta said:

If South Park is a mainstream television show (it is), then Panty and Stocking is as well. Mainstream is determined by exposure and number of fans, or at least that what I assumed. Sure, it can't be play during the daytime, but it already has a giant following.

South Park is mainstream but it's also watched by a lot of viewers (Or rather it was).  I was in grade 8 when South Park came out, everyone in my grade watched it.  We watched it in High School, we watch it now, etc.  Panty and Stocking is watched by a niche group and is not a world wide phenomenum.  Dragon Ball is a world wide phenomenum.  There hasn't been anything like that since Bleach and Naruto and that was quite a few years back, and both shows have been cannibalized by fillers.

Around the Network

What I've watched since Summer break:

Level E recommended by nen-suer. Prince Baka is a hilarious troll, but other than that the 12 episode series sucks balls.

One Outs recommended by Kamal. Kaiji is one of my favorite animes so Kamal suggested another anime by the same creator: One Outs for me. It was brilliant and easily one of my top ten favorite animes. It helps to be familiar with the sport of baseball to really appreciate this anime.

What I'm watching now:

Monster Recommended by Kamal last year and nen this year. Great mystery and amazing story. Filler is a killer so far but I understand why this series gets so much praise, it's simply that good.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
What I've watched since Summer break:

Level E recommended by nen-suer. Prince Baka is a hilarious troll, but other than that the 12 episode series sucks balls.

One Outs recommended by Kamal. Kaiji is one of my favorite animes so Kamal suggested another anime by the same creator: One Outs for me. It was brilliant and easily one of my top ten favorite animes. It helps to be familiar with the sport of baseball to really appreciate this anime.

What I'm watching now:

Monster Recommended by Kamal last year and nen this year. Great mystery and amazing story. Filler is a killer so far but I understand why this series gets so much praise, it's simply that good.

Prince Baka is the series. Him and his trolling (and him being trolled) is the point of the entire series. The quality of the show and the character are mutally inclusive.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Random post:

I am so in love with these 2 soundtracks from Mushishi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4iUZyrIGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU-xX7aUu58

Do not allow yourself to be blinded by fear and anger. Everything is only as it is.

Soriku said:

I just finished Kaiji S1 + S2. One of the best anime I've ever seen. If you like mind games and MANLY TEARS this is the anime for you. Kaiji is such an awesome character, you just have to root for him.

High five!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBzDGG7WeU

Edit: Holy shit my youtube comment from seven months ago is top rated O_o

Edit 2: I see you already posted this soundtrack. Who cares it's awesome enough for an encore!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

After a long hiatus (ended by a DVD viewing through episode 11 with some friends in my stay in Japan) I'm going to tackle Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.