By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was MS Wrong When They Claimed The #1 Spot For HW Sales WW?

Which Option Do You Think Is More Accurate?

The PS3/360 Is Over/Undertracked In EU. 135 23.48%

Ballmer Was Including A Few Jan Shipments. 67 11.65%

MS Stuffed The Channels. 246 42.78%

IT'S 2012! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! 123 21.39%

Total:571
amaral_slb said:
Couple of things I want to say to the defensive people (regardless of what console you like more).

- I don´t think Microsoft/retailers overshipped/overbought 360s because they wanted, but because they estimated huge sales in USA after the 360 having a monster BF week. There is NO WAY MS estimated, after selling almost 1M in BF, to only sell 1.7M in 5 weeks of December, retailers also saw the numbers and went nuts for the machine.

- NO ONE is trying do diminish what the 360 did when it comes to sales in 2011, they did a great job selling Kinect to the casual gamer, and the 3rd party games kept the machine relevant for the hardcore.

- Who wins 2011? The machine that sold more TO THE CONSUMER, no one cares who shipped more consoles besides Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo because they get the money from retailers, we want to know how many consoles are sold because we want to know how many active consoles/users are playing in what machine.

- And finally, no one cares for the shipment numbers MS will give us next week (I think), they already told us, over 66M (oh noooooo IGN told us MS said that it was sold to consumer), what we are waiting for is those Nintendo sexy region graphics, those will break down which console sold more in different regions.

Well put.  I actually should have added in the OP about the misjudgement of consumer demand.  In fact, I'll add it now.

Around the Network

So much wishful thinking.

I think a good explanation would be that not only did retailers expect to sell more units in December than in November (and rightly so, history was on their side), but they probably also wanted to take advantage of some discounts that MS may have been offering in exchange for BF deals.

All those BF deals may have happened because MS, while not lowering the official RRP, where giving discounts to retailers for large orders in exchange for said retailers offering vouchers to consumers. If this were true then retailers may have rushed to get as many 360's as possible for discounted rates.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Haven't commented at all on any numbers from NPD but I just feel the need to comment on these MS numbers that everyone is getting all up in arms about.

I know people don't want to believe Microsoft would stuff the channel (Overship, Retail Overorder, etc... who gives a damn what it is called, it is what it is), but we need to be realistic here and realize who we are talking about. These are the same exact people who only a few years ago claimed "First to 10M in the US wins the generation", then after that holiday season it was found that they only hit 10M before the Wii did because the channel was stuffed. So yeah, the next shipment was small but they still got to claim their "win".

Look, I know some don't want to believe it, but history shows they have done it before, even though of course we won't know the full extent of it for another few months, but seriously people, don't get all bent out of shape that some believe over shipping to be the culprit. This scenario is easily more of a possibility than VGChartz not realizing a 360 sales explosion in Europe that surpassed that of the two rival consoles, a sales explosion that would have had to come from absolute thin air when you go by the numbers we already got this year from Nintendo. Plus Nintendo will clear up this claim not too long from now and if their numbers show no massive under tracking, well... you know what gains even more credibility then.

So let people believe what they want because if you don't and you keep the bickering up, it could get real ugly in a few months. So just argue your side and let them argue theirs.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Okay we know MS sold more than 66 million units and people here just don't accpet to believe this number and say they were stuffing the channels.
This is a serious question: How can you actually "stuff the channels?" Do you force retailer to buy 360s, even though they don't think to sell them?

Thanks

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

On Christmas eve i went to the bestbuy in Hickory NC and they literally had Hundreds of xbox360's on the floor for sell. So that makes me think that microsoft ment shipped units. If most bestbuys had this many xboxs in stock then I could believe that there would be easily over a million or more xboxs in store shelves right now.

Euphoria14 said:
Haven't commented at all on any numbers from NPD but I just feel the need to comment on these MS numbers that everyone is getting all up in arms about.

I know people don't want to believe Microsoft would stuff the channel (Overship, Retail Overorder, etc... who gives a damn what it is called, it is what it is), but we need to be realistic here and realize who we are talking about. These are the same exact people who only a few years ago claimed "First to 10M in the US wins the generation", then after that holiday season it was found that they only hit 10M before the Wii did because the channel was stuffed. So yeah, the next shipment was small but they still got to claim their "win".

Look, I know some don't want to believe it, but history shows they have done it before, even though of course we won't know the full extent of it for another few months, but seriously people, don't get all bent out of shape that some believe over shipping to be the culprit. This scenario is easily more of a possibility than VGChartz not realizing a 360 sales explosion in Europe that surpassed that of the two rival consoles, a sales explosion that would have had to come from absolute thin air when you go by the numbers we already got this year from Nintendo. Plus Nintendo will clear up this claim not too long from now and if their numbers show no massive under tracking, well... you know what gains even more credibility then.

So let people believe what they want because if you don't and you keep the bickering up, it could get real ugly in a few months. So just argue your side and let them argue theirs.

It's kinda interesting how quick it was to look to EU to be the savor of MS's claim, even though history has never shown EU, as a whole, to be a strong region for the 360.  The PS3 launched 15 months after the 360 (Dec '06 for 360, Mar '07 for PS3) and by the end of '09 it had already passed the 360 by over 750K units (360 had ~2.7 million on PS3 at launch).  And it's been pretty steadingly widening the gap ever since then.  I believe someone thought it may have been undertracked by ~800K there.  With France's numbers just out, the 360 was overtracked there by ~100K.  So that means that outside of US/UK (360's best regions), Japan and France the 360 would have seen sales of ~900K above what VGC was already reporting.  We would have heard months before the numbers came out if something that incredible was happening.

DirtyP2002 said:

Okay we know MS sold more than 66 million units and people here just don't accpet to believe this number and say they were stuffing the channels.
This is a serious question: How can you actually "stuff the channels?" Do you force retailer to buy 360s, even though they don't think to sell them?

Thanks

ok, let just say MS did sell 66 million units. Now where is the difference, where is the 360 undertracked? 

It's really easy to guess what happened here. Almost 99% of people expected the 360 to sell over 2.5 million units in the US, no one would have guessed they would selll less than last year, so retailers odered enough to at least have enough for 2.5 million. But, for a console we thought was in huge demand, there was no claim of sellout, it was always available, that's not normal. Retailers miscalculated and MS sent them what they ordered. NPD just put everything into reality. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
kowenicki said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
kowenicki said:

[...]

Thursday for MS

1 week later Nintendo

1 week later than Nintendo for Sony.

Well, this perfectly explains why neither Nintendo nor Sony commented Ballmer's claims: whatever their numbers, they surely don't want to spoil their own events, and Ninty will surely concentrate on 3DS sales, while Sony will prefer to underline PS3's first 10 months of 2011, as even if numbers will say it won yearly, it was during those months that it actually bested competitors.

its not an expo...lol

it is avery formal release of interim financial figures...

So won't Ballmer sing and dance and shout mantras and slogans? I feel utterly disappointed!   

Anyway, whether Ballmer is right or not, it's better for Ninty and Sony to not reveal their statements before when they planned to do it, it could be interpreted as defensive.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

We should change our vocabulary. Overshipping a product would be to ship more then what was ordered. MS obviously did not do that. Its not their fault if the retailers thought there would be an even higher demand.