By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Set To Have Strong Launch + 3rd party Devs Already Have Final Wii U Dev Kits!

We'll see.

Around the Network

Don't fail Nintendo.

Dear GOD....when has Nintendo EVER released a console with an enormous price tag.

NES $199.99
SNES $199.99
N64 $199.99
Game Cube $199.99
Wii $249.99

So people honestly think Nintendo is going to jump to $600. Use common sense people, Nintendo doesn't roll like that. They have always made things affordable. Just more Nintendo hatred.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

It's good that Nintendo acknowledges the importance of a strong 1st party lineup, but the fact is, even if Nintendo busts their ass and goes all out, releasing tons of great 1st party games,  there are still going to be lull periods where the development teams are stretched too thin, busy on 3DS software, tied up with bigger projects, etc. This is when third parties NEED to step in. If they don't, we're simply going to be looking at another N64, Gamecube, and (to an extent), Wii library where there are brief periods of plentiful quality games dispersed amongst long periods of droughts. Nintendo doesn't have the sheer numbers or manpower that Sony's studio has, and unless they intend to seriously upgrade, third parties are key to fill in the gaps.

This is on Nintendo to push for their support. I don't care how much third parties hate you, or how much they hated Wii, or their fear of their titles getting crushed by Nintendo games. You do EVERYTHING in your power to get more plentiful, and more importantly, more QUALITY third party games. Buy studios, offer money, push advertising, work closely with studios, make development as easy as possible on your platform. Hell, buy them a steak and lobster dinner if that's what it takes. Wii U NEEDS stronger third party support, or I fear the Wii sales numbers will be the absolute ceiling for Wii U success, and more likely than not, an unreachable goal.

While Wii at least got the quantity of third party games unlike the N64 and Gamecube, it was lacking in the quality. Wii U will need both in order to have the surge of success Wii had, along with the greater longevity of the HD consoles.

glimmer_of_hope said:
Dear GOD....when has Nintendo EVER released a console with an enormous price tag.

NES $199.99
SNES $199.99
N64 $199.99
Game Cube $199.99
Wii $249.99

So people honestly think Nintendo is going to jump to $600. Use common sense people, Nintendo doesn't roll like that. They have always made things affordable. Just more Nintendo hatred.

Not quite though. When adjusted for inflation, for comparison with today's market, Nintendo's hardware launch prices look like this:

NES (1985) - $242 *($99)
SNES (1991) - $396 *($199)
N64 (1996) - $333 *($199)
NGC (2001) - $281 *($199)
Wii (2006) - $296 *($249)

As I've pointed out on numerous threads, the SNES and N64 launch prices establish that, historically, Nintendo has certainly been willing to launch consoles around the $350 - $400 window.

*Original USA launch prices.
** Long term USA inflation figure of 3.5% used for calculations.

Around the Network

I just wanted to expand upon the possible price of the Wii U ...

From the tiny amount we know about the Wii U and the rumors/speculation about its hardware I get the impression that Nintendo took a similar approach to developing the Wii U's hardware that they took with the Gamecube over a decade ago. Essentially, rather than using expensive state of the art hardware to maximize theoritical performance, use custom versions of "outdated" hardware and focus on maximizing real-world performance per dollar.

With this in mind, had the Wii U been using a conventional controller (like the XBox 360 or PS3 controller) I would expect Nintendo to sell the system for $300 while breaking even or turning a modest profit.

If I am correct the price increase of the Wii U will be primarily driven by how much more it costs to manufacture a Wii U tablet controller than a conventional controller. Being that I think it is far closer to a conventional controller with a (relatively) inexpensive touch screen added than a tablet, I think people are over-estimating the cost to manufacture the controller. My expectation is that it (probably) adds $10 to $15 to the manufacturing cost of a controller, and Nintendo is worried about the cost at retail because it would (probably) increase controller prices by $30 to $45 if Nintendo and the retailers are going to maintain their margins on accessories.

With everything considered, I expect Nintendo is targeting $349 for the Wii U at launch. While I think that they may be more willing to accept small losses on hardware now due to the launch of the 3DS, I wouldn't be surprised if they are worried that factors outside of their control will force them to release it at a higher price.

What... the HELL... is WRONG with you people?

$500 for the Wii U?... $600 Wii U??... have you all gone INSANE?!?

So a console using modified off-the-shelf parts for the main hardware, no Blu-Ray or expensive proprietary media format, and a controller that is essentially a giant Wiimote with a touch screen that merely streams the video off the console rather than having its own built-in CPU/GPU combo is going to cost as much as the PS3 did at launch with it's bleeding edge technology?

If Nintendo release the Wii U for anything higher than $350 it'll be D.O.A. Even $399 is looking more and more like a stretch with the inevitable PS360 price drops later this year ahead of the Wii U's launch. No way Nintendo puts out a new console that is closer in specs to the current gen than the upcoming next gen consoles at double the price of the current gen systems.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I used to be certain that Nintendo would never release their next console for a cent over $250, but considering their latest HANDHELD console began at that price, and the fact that the Wii U controller comes equipped with a tablet, I can definitely see a $350 or even a $400 pricetag at launch. Don't think they'll exceed that though.

kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

Thats right Galakia! The Wii U is going to be a beast and there is nothing you can do to stop it! E3 will confirm my suspicions about you.... -_-

D=

You mean....Galaki is a Nintendo-hating fanboy?!

Say it ain't so Galaki! Say it ain't so!!

Edit: Spurg there are no rumours on Wii's price. None.

Wait. Are you saying those prices are set in stone? Or you have not seen the countless articles, threads, stories, interviews, websites, etc. talking about how the price is supposed to be in the 500-600 dollar price range?

Seriously, did I miss an announcement?

Can you give me links?

Because all we've had are stores with placeholder prices which happens with all systems and seeing that Reggie said they don't want to make the pricing mistake they made 3DS it is absurd for you to pull a $500 - $600 price range from nothing.

source: "In fact, based on the latest details from Nintendo’s North America President Reggie Fils-Aime, if I had to choose between a price for the Wii U between $250 and $600, I'd say it's going to cost closer to $600."  <-- that's the quote i heard attributed to reggie but reading it directly i'm not sure if it is actually a quote and not just speculation on the writers part for this next bit, an actual quote from reggie.

source:

Does that change as we get closer to the next-generation console, the Wii U?

"The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U."  ~reggie

so apperently you need a household income in excess of $60,000 in order to afford the wiiU, whatever that means.

That wasn't a quote from Reggie. That was whoever wrote the article speculating. This is how misinformation becomes 'truth'.

VGChartz

http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1157818p3.html

Here is an article on IGN that had the launch dates/prices adjusted for inflation. It seems the sweet spot for most Nintendo home systems is between $250 and $300. So if it is going to be "expensive" is will more than likely be between $300 and $400 which isn't that bad considering the 6 year old PS3/7 year old 360 have sku's currently in that price range.