By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Set To Have Strong Launch + 3rd party Devs Already Have Final Wii U Dev Kits!

spurgeonryan said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Might actually buy at launch if true n.n

Lol! Miz you barely have time to be here with your studies and all. You would have to drop out of your university!

Don't worry about me, I graduated this semester!

It's finally time to RELAX! :D

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

Thats right Galakia! The Wii U is going to be a beast and there is nothing you can do to stop it! E3 will confirm my suspicions about you.... -_-

D=

You mean....Galaki is a Nintendo-hating fanboy?!

Say it ain't so Galaki! Say it ain't so!!

Edit: Spurg there are no rumours on Wii's price. None.

Reggie was quoted somewhere that it will be closer to $600 then to $250 which if taken very literally means $426.

OT - nintendo burned me bad this gen.  if i buy a wii U it won't be until they can prove they are committed to bring games to the system past the 1.5 year mark.

What?! Reggie said no such thing.

I need to see a link to this. 

spurgeonryan said:
Roma said:
spurgeonryan said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

Thats right Galakia! The Wii U is going to be a beast and there is nothing you can do to stop it! E3 will confirm my suspicions about you.... -_-

D=

Wait. Are you saying those prices are set in stone? Or you have not seen the countless articles, threads, stories, interviews, websites, etc. talking about how the price is supposed to be in the 500-600 dollar price range?

Seriously, did I miss an announcement?

read my post

I see nothing about price in your post? Do you want me to check links as well?

@ Play4Fun....no. But there have been multiple articles and threads written on it. I will look for them. Beizmer or Kitler I mean has something above this post on it.

No in my other post I said the prices are from stores not romours as I’ve told you before

They are placeholders they do it all the time. Remember the Vita was supposed to be 999 dollars!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Play4Fun said:
spurgeonryan said:
Galaki said:
lolwut?

D=

Wait. Are you saying those prices are set in stone? Or you have not seen the countless articles, threads, stories, interviews, websites, etc. talking about how the price is supposed to be in the 500-600 dollar price range?

Seriously, did I miss an announcement?

Can you give me links?

Because all we've had are stores with placeholder prices which happens with all systems and seeing that Reggie said they don't want to make the pricing mistake they made 3DS it is absurd for you to pull a $500 - $600 price range from nothing.

source: "In fact, based on the latest details from Nintendo’s North America President Reggie Fils-Aime, if I had to choose between a price for the Wii U between $250 and $600, I'd say it's going to cost closer to $600."  <-- that's the quote i heard attributed to reggie but reading it directly i'm not sure if it is actually a quote and not just speculation on the writers part for this next bit, an actual quote from reggie.

source:

Does that change as we get closer to the next-generation console, the Wii U?

"The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U."  ~reggie

so apperently you need a household income in excess of $60,000 in order to afford the wiiU, whatever that means.

Roma said:

Nintendo have learnt from past mistakes (noting the 3DS launch) and plan to have a strong first-party line up for Wii U.

Nintendo 'allowed third parties to breath' with the release of 3DS and unleashed just two first party launch titles, both of which weren't particularly high profile games (though Pilot Wings doesn't get the credit it deserves!).

Nintendo realize that this wasn't the best decision and acknowledge that for a successful launch they need strong first and third party software and that's what they promise with the launch of Wii U.

Nintendo Of America's Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Scott Moffitt, believes that the success of 3DS over the holidays was due to high profile games such as Super Mario 3D Land which weren't available at launch.

"One thing that was clear with the 3DS was that the launch titles didn't have the impact of Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7, and that software was the biggest reason the 3DS did well over the holidays.

Software drives hardware; we found that out with 3DS. There was great anticipation of course for Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but a lot of consumers were waiting for two or three other Mario titles so that when they bought the hardware they had great high-quality games that they were dying to play right out of the gate."

With that in mind, Nintendo are keen to get the Wii U launch right.

"We expect to have great first party titles but also great software support in general for Wii U when it comes out later this year. I think with Wii U we want to make sure we have great software right at launch."

Source: ONM UK

source

So anyone worried about it not having good games at launch can put those worries to rest

I think its funny that they haven’t learned that lesson from previous launches though

Well just because they say it doesn't mean it's going to come true. Things happen. Games get delayed (Kid Icarus Uprising, anyone? Pikmin 3? Skyward Sword?) Of course we HOPE that it comes true, and it had better be because honestly without some killer software right off the bat the Wii U will struggle, I think. Time will tell...

Bah!

Around the Network

I bet they'll have like Animal crossing WiiU and claim it's the hardcore game everyone wants. Nintendo should focus on a couple of hardcore titles at launch and just have one causal game like WiiU sports that comes with the console for the casuals to buy. It'll be a while before casuals get tired of Wiiu sports and by that time 3rd parties would have mimicked the play style and create hundreds of shovelware for them to play.

Toddifer said:
Roma said:

Nintendo have learnt from past mistakes (noting the 3DS launch) and plan to have a strong first-party line up for Wii U.

Nintendo 'allowed third parties to breath' with the release of 3DS and unleashed just two first party launch titles, both of which weren't particularly high profile games (though Pilot Wings doesn't get the credit it deserves!).

Nintendo realize that this wasn't the best decision and acknowledge that for a successful launch they need strong first and third party software and that's what they promise with the launch of Wii U.

Nintendo Of America's Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Scott Moffitt, believes that the success of 3DS over the holidays was due to high profile games such as Super Mario 3D Land which weren't available at launch.

"One thing that was clear with the 3DS was that the launch titles didn't have the impact of Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7, and that software was the biggest reason the 3DS did well over the holidays.

Software drives hardware; we found that out with 3DS. There was great anticipation of course for Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but a lot of consumers were waiting for two or three other Mario titles so that when they bought the hardware they had great high-quality games that they were dying to play right out of the gate."

With that in mind, Nintendo are keen to get the Wii U launch right.

"We expect to have great first party titles but also great software support in general for Wii U when it comes out later this year. I think with Wii U we want to make sure we have great software right at launch."

Source: ONM UK

source

So anyone worried about it not having good games at launch can put those worries to rest

I think its funny that they haven’t learned that lesson from previous launches though

Well just because they say it doesn't mean it's going to come true. Things happen. Games get delayed (Kid Icarus Uprising, anyone? Pikmin 3? Skyward Sword?) Of course we HOPE that it comes true, and it had better be because honestly without some killer software right off the bat the Wii U will struggle, I think. Time will tell...

Of course anything is possible but the bolded implies that they do not want to risk what happened with the 3DS. Now it is selling well but the same might never happen with WiiU if they do not have strong titles from the start.

Games that I predict will be out at launch are NSMBMii and Pikmin 3 from Nintendo as well as a casual WiiU sports title that shows how both the tablet and WiiMote works together like in golf for example

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I won't trust such statements until Nintendo shows me the games and the dates...

Former something....

kitler53 said:

source: "In fact, based on the latest details from Nintendo’s North America President Reggie Fils-Aime, if I had to choose between a price for the Wii U between $250 and $600, I'd say it's going to cost closer to $600."  <-- that's the quote i heard attributed to reggie but reading it directly i'm not sure if it is actually a quote and not just speculation on the writers part for this next bit, an actual quote from reggie.

source:

Does that change as we get closer to the next-generation console, the Wii U?

"The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U."  ~reggie

so apperently you need a household income in excess of $60,000 in order to afford the wiiU, whatever that means.

"The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U."

Translation

"With the Wii U we're aiming for a high definition, more immersive version of the experiences we've cultivated under the Nintendo brand. As such, the hardware we'll be incorporating will require that we price the Wii U higher than Wii."

He is marketing, he isn't there to speak in absolute definitives.There's nothing about a $500 - $600 price range in there.

It's as simple as saying Wii at its' cheap price will be for impulse buyers and Wii-U, which will be more expensive than Wii, will be for the consumers who are willing to spend more money for the newest console experience (early adopters).

While Wii will have hardware more powerful than PS360, it will obviously not use cutting edge tech. It's impossible for it to require that high of a price range.

Since Iwata said it will cost more than Wii did at launch, I'm expecting a $300 - $350 price range.

What I got from that was: 'Yeah we'll have a Mario game at launch.' It's obvious.
If they release the WiiU with a proper Mario title and some sort of Wii Sports-like game (not necessarily a sports title though, just something with a unique hook to properly show off what the system's all about), and at an affordable price, there's no way they won't have a succesful launch and post-launch period.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046