By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Dec: X360 #1, 1.7m, 900k - 1m Wii, PS3

Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:
Sorry to be a nuisance, but can anybody put this in layman's terms for me? I've read people's comments and this seems like a pretty big deal, but I just can't make sense of the numbers.

Basically the Xbox360 was overtracked by 1.2m, Wii by 600k and PS3 by 300k here.

But MS announced they were no.1 WW and that they sold (prob. shipped) 66m, so it's very confusing as to what's going on.

Now that makes more sense, thanks.

So either Europe has developed a new obsession with the Xbox 360, Microsoft were lying, or Microsoft meant shipped and retailers are now building Xbox 360 pyramids?

All these different regions and the difference between shipped and sold is confusing me.

Yeah, basically that's what all the discussion is about right now.

I say its a misjudgement by retailers who overestimated demand for december, given the great november sales, and MS gladly obliged. I dont think any1 is lying and stuffing channels purposefully.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:
Sorry to be a nuisance, but can anybody put this in layman's terms for me? I've read people's comments and this seems like a pretty big deal, but I just can't make sense of the numbers.

Basically the Xbox360 was overtracked by 1.2m, Wii by 600k and PS3 by 300k here.

But MS announced they were no.1 WW and that they sold (prob. shipped) 66m, so it's very confusing as to what's going on.

So either Europe has developed a new obsession with the Xbox 360, Microsoft were lying, or Microsoft meant shipped and retailers are now building Xbox 360 pyramids?

All these different regions and the difference between shipped and sold is confusing me.

Yeah, basically that's what all the discussion is about right now.

I say its a misjudgement by retailers who overestimated demand for december, given the great november sales, and MS gladly obliged. I dont think any1 is lying and stuffing channels purposefully.

Yeah, I don't think a company can overship on purpose, I don't understand when people say that. But you can't blame retailers for assuming December would be bigger than November either, since it has always been like that.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

pezus said:
brendude13 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:

EDIT: Thank you too Shinobi.

France numbers are in and they didn't go crazy for the 360. All signs point to overshipping at the current time.

the french dont like america lol

fedfed said:
I can open any of the pictures with sales... what are the ends figures in USA?

How much has each console sold?

4.5M for Wii in 2011 and 39M LT, over 7M for 360 in 2011.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
fedfed said:
I can open any of the pictures with sales... what are the ends figures in USA?

How much has each console sold?

4.5M for Wii in 2011 and 39M LT, over 7M for 360 in 2011.

About 4.5m for PS3 too... NPD said they tied in 2011.

Around the Network
pezus said:
brendude13 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:

France numbers are in and they didn't go crazy for the 360. All signs point to overshipping at the current time.

France aint the only country in Europe.

Nsanity said:
pezus said:

pezus said:
Nsanity said:
pezus said:
brendude13 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:

That's why I said all signs at this time. Where do you think it's undertracked?

Honestly? i dont know...

brendude13 said:
Nsanity said:
pezus said:

Nsanity said:
pezus said:
brendude13 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
brendude13 said:

Thats true...though economically France is a significant part of Europe (next to Germany, Spain and Italy, oh and UK if you want to consider them Europe) and with the exception of the UK most European countries have consistently shown similar buying patterns across the three consoles, so it would be even more bizarre if the rest of Europe just went X360 crazy independently of France. 

Unfortunately, we'll never know until next quarters shipment numbers, if they are really small then it would indicate the retailors significantly over-ordered in December and it takes time for the retailors to clear through the inventory, if sales are within the normal range for Q1, then it would indicate the X360 is being undertracked in Europe. 

As a non-American, I'm confused by the whole Black Friday thing. Why do retailors cut prices and increase deals so aggressively, they must know it'll cannibalise sales for December, I mean people are trying to save more money than ever these days and if little Jimmy wants a X360 for Christmas, you'd be crazy to buy one any other time than Black Friday. All you've done is robbed yourself of a sale in December and significantly cut your profit margin in the process. If little (or big) Jimmy wants a X360 for Christmas, a retailor is much more likely to get an irrational and emotional sale in December in the panic of "Its nearly Christmas, he'll be so upset if he doesn't get a X360, he's been asking all year for it", and of course in retail you make the most money from these types of emotional purchases.

Anyway, terrible sales all round really, I've still not sure about next gen kicking off in 2012 (except for Wii U late in the year), I think X360 and PS3 have one more price cut in store, but I reckon the next gen has to happen in 2013.