By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I finally buy a PS2?

Well let me just start by saying that I had a pretty weird gaming childhood. I am not even that old right now (17). So you can imagine how I didn't really care for games too much back then or was too ignorant to know any better. Plus my Parents were STRICT and always wanted my to do well in school (not to say that hasn't changed). Anyways I remember that my first console ever was the original XBOX which I bought around 2003 with my first game Yu Gi OH Dawn of the Duel (I know, cheezy), even though I really wanted a Nintendo 64 (again i was very ignorant). It was a great system but I hardly took advantage of any of the games. Oddly enough, one year later my uncles decided to buy me a PS1 slim even though it was pretty much obsolete. I didn't complain though and found many fun games like spyro. Another year later my dad was finally about to buy the family a PS2. But, just my luck. I was feeling sick and threw up inside the Gamestop store! My dad got pissed and decided not to buy anything. So then once I became older i jumped straight to the xbo 360, ps3, and wii. I never looked back until not. I feel like I may have missed out on one of the greatest consoles of all time. Now that the system is so cheap, I thought maybe I can buy it now even though I already have a PS3.

So what do you guys think? Should I finally buy a PS2? If so what are some must have games?

Around the Network

I'm assuming your PS3 isn't backwards compatible, so yeah, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Well, you might, but I doubt it.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

spurgeonryan said:
Why? Can't you just play the games on your PS3?

If you still do, get a MGS, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War game, Devil may Cry, and that is not even a start to the games!

Haha my ps3 isn't backwards compatible. I already have the MGS collection, ico collection, and god of war collection. Don't have devil may cry though.

I personally wouldn't get it. Most of the games that aged well have been already been remade. You won't be missing out much unless you are into niche Japanese stuff.

enrageorange said:
I personally wouldn't get it. Most of the games that aged well have been already been remade. You won't be missing out much unless you are into niche Japanese stuff.

This comment is absurd bruh... ignore it altogether

Around the Network

Since you already have the MGS, ICO, and GOW collections, I'd say don't bother. Those games and some RPGs like Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts are the only real reason to own a PS2 these days.

There's some good action platformers on it like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper, but those are also getting their own "HD" collections on PS3 as well, Other big PS2 titles like the GTA games haven't aged that well compared to modern sandbox style games either, so yeah there's really not much reason to have a PS2 these days. I haven't played mine in what seems like ages.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Go for it there's loads of great games and you can pick them up dirt cheap now.

Xxain said:
enrageorange said:

This comment is absurd bruh... ignore it altogether

ok name all these great ps2 games that haven't been remade or been ported on the ps3....

SpartenOmega117 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Why? Can't you just play the games on your PS3?

If you still do, get a MGS, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War game, Devil may Cry, and that is not even a start to the games!

Haha my ps3 isn't backwards compatible. I already have the MGS collection, ico collection, and god of war collection. Don't have devil may cry though.

Sell the one you have and then look for 60Gb launch mode.

@BasilZero

WOW thanks for the suggestions.