By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: Xbox360 best selling console WW in 2011

VGC isn't too far off with the console sales. I'm sure it will be a close win.
Kinect is a different case however.

Around the Network
Seece said:
binary solo said:
gergroy said:
The oldest console won the year eh? Pretty impressive, i think microsoft deserved it, they did a lot right this generation.

Depends on what you mean by old. You could say thast the Wii is the oldest console as it uses older tech under the hood, which is why Ninty had to be first out of the gate for the next gen.

Unless the company says "sold through", sales almost always means shipped. I recall MS saying Kinect had sold through XX millions by...errrr...May was It? or was it end of financial year for them?

I would be surprised if VGC was 1.6 million out, and 66M shipped vs 64.4M sold to consumers is a pretty good correlation. VGC LTD shipped v sold correlation was pretty much on the money for 360 in the June-Sept Q. I am a tad leery of the 18 million Kinects vs the VGC LTD for Kinect Adventures. That's a rather wide gap for Kinect. I wouldn't think retailers would want that much headroom for Kinect, but maybe retailers in the US forward ordered a lot to make sure they weren't short, or maybe retailers in Europe over estimated demand. Or maybe VGC has undertracked Kinect by about 1 million.

This has been an interesting year for PS3 vs 360 sales. I wonder if 2012 will be the same, relatively. It certainly seems like PS3 will never catch 360 in 360's lifetime.

Nobody is saying 1.6m out, more like 800k, which is in line with previous years for stock on shelves for 360. 1.6m is waaay higher than normal.

I seem to recall past instances of shipped - sold being in excess of 1 million for all consoles at one time or another. Perhaps not 1.6 million, but it's not always the case that there are less than 1 million consoles in circulation at a given time. 1.2 to 1.3 million consoles in global retail circulation is not out of the question.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

pezus said:
I'm going to take this with a grain of salt until we hear something from sony. MS has manipulated numbers before(europe is not europe)

There's a surprise.

You were more than happy you accept the results in Seece's thread :p

pezus said:
^I actually said there I'd wait for adjustments etc.

I stand corrected :S I think I saw that beautiful woman in your avatar in the thread and it mesmorized my mind into thinking you made all the gloat posts.

Wait, so the numerous Sony fans that were gloating about victory will now make "excuses", such as the good ol' "500m advertising budget" "giftcards" "tsunami & PSN outage".

Not really that big a deal that they've won, but to see some members eat their own words, now that's amusing.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Why don't both sides just keep quiet until MS and SONY release their new FY report. At that time, we will know who won the console war in 2011.

Be patient, only few days to go.

BTW, I always think shipment figure is more important than retail sales figures. Shipment figure is the only accurate indication of the world wide sales.

zhao3gold said:
Why don't both sides just keep quiet until MS and SONY release their new FY report. At that time, we will know who won the console war in 2011.

Be patient, only few days to go.

BTW, I always think shipment figure is more important than retail sales figures. Shipment figure is the only accurate indication of the world wide sales.

Again with this. What MS did at the conference is announce the "sold-through" figures, the fact that they've said that they're the best selling console for 2011 indiciates that they've outsold the competition - Wii & PS3. Seeing as there are companies that are dedicated to tracking - and do so better than VGC, although it's a good site, the data in most cases is free, whereas other companies have considerably more resources and therefore more accurate ways of tracking rather than extrapolate.

Shipped figures are not as important as the known, sold through figures. Especially on this site, which deals with sold through.

I thoroughly enjoyed that comment, keep 'em coming.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:
Wait, so the numerous Sony fans that were gloating about victory will now make "excuses", such as the good ol' "500m advertising budget" "giftcards" "tsunami & PSN outage".

LOL, who said that? XD

psrock said:
Baalzamon said:
While it may very well be true (we all know vgchartz isn't 100% accurate), how exactly does Microsoft know they sold more units than Sony or Nintendo? With the way I have always understood numbers, console makers only know the amount of units they have shipped, not the amount stores have sold.

Could somebody explain this to me/

They know, they would never make such a claim without knowing. Let it go, they won. 

They would.... and they have made predictions and claims like that.... out of thin air to generate hype, same goes with the other companies

mM

I still think the shipment figure is the most important indication of sales.

For example, I work in a world leading VRLA battery manufacturer. When we talk about sales, we talk about how many batteries shipped out of our warehouse to resellers and OEM customers. We don't care how many batteries sold to the end users. We get money from the resellers and OEM customers, not from the end users. When we talk about how many batteries we sold in the previous year, we talk about how many batteries were shipped out of our inventory, but not talk about how many end users purchased our batteries.

It will be the same principle for the big 3.

So IMO, if we discuss who from the big 3 sold the most quantity in the past year, we should focus on who sold/shipped the most consoles from their inventory/stock.

I expect MS can ship more 360 than PS3 in 2011. Hope MS/SONY FY report will make everything clear.