By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: Xbox360 best selling console WW in 2011

Updated the OP with the latest info from NPD.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:
Mistershine said:
slowmo said:

Yeah, too many kids posing as "real" gamers these days.  If you didn't load a game off a tape in your life then you can only be so much of a "hardcore" gamer.  You try playing a game that you finally get to the next level, you load it on tape just to find it crashed because you didn't have the volume set on just the right mark.  Old school games would drive you to want to put a fist through a TV in frustration then 5 minutes later put the biggest grin on your face with achievement.  A games supposed to be fun, I don't care how they make it fun to play as long as it achieves that goal.  I think sometimes the very definition of game is lost on some people " an activity that one engages in for amusement".

Great post btw

I always makes me chuckle when people talk about load times nowadays. 30-40 seconds to load a level? To anyone who has had to wait 5mins for a game to(hopefully) load, less than 60 seconds is bliss!

I remember the microcomputer era (I had an Amstrad CPC 464) and some games lasted up to 15 mins to load, and sometimes it failed in the last minute. I really hated it, totally frustrating. Young guys don't know what is to wait for a game :)

LOL, good times, and bad at the same time! I had to pierce my tape recorder with a hot nail to be able to reach the azimuth screw, the Spectrum was so fussy! But when I was already spoilt by the PC cozyness, I eventually decided to make an upgrade also to shorten Myth's load times. And now I'm even considering to buy a console again, my last one was the Intellivision, for the times Windows gets screwed and I want to play but I don't want to bother fixing that darn sorry excuse for an OS.  

At least it's better these days than spending hours editing autoexec.bat and config.sys files whenever you install more hardware ytring to claw back your memory .  Modern gamers don't know they're born!  A hardcore gamer is one that spends hours staring at text files trying to eek a extra couple of kilobytes of memory while still keeping your soundcard or CD drive working.  All without the use of the internet to Google other peoples answers.  I shudder even today when I see the Tie Fighter Collectors CD in my PC games collection.

slowmo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:

[...]

I remember the microcomputer era (I had an Amstrad CPC 464) and some games lasted up to 15 mins to load, and sometimes it failed in the last minute. I really hated it, totally frustrating. Young guys don't know what is to wait for a game :)

LOL, good times, and bad at the same time! I had to pierce my tape recorder with a hot nail to be able to reach the azimuth screw, the Spectrum was so fussy! But when I was already spoilt by the PC cozyness, I eventually decided to make an upgrade also to shorten Myth's load times. And now I'm even considering to buy a console again, my last one was the Intellivision, for the times Windows gets screwed and I want to play but I don't want to bother fixing that darn sorry excuse for an OS.  

At least it's better these days than spending hours editing autoexec.bat and config.sys files whenever you install more hardware ytring to claw back your memory .  Modern gamers don't know they're born!  A hardcore gamer is one that spends hours staring at text files trying to eek a extra couple of kilobytes of memory while still keeping your soundcard or CD drive working.  All without the use of the internet to Google other peoples answers.  I shudder even today when I see the Tie Fighter Collectors CD in my PC games collection.

ROTFL! Although my first own PC after the Spectrum was already with Win 95, before DirectX3, and, much better, DirectX5, DOS games still were the majority, some times I had to edit those darn files too. But while the web was still poor, compared to now, usenet OTOH was thriving, so I had a huge advantage compared to BBS or no connection at all times. DirectX5 was really a milestone for Windows gaming. My current trouble is messed up CD and DVD drivers, so that I can't play games that require the CD inserted and haven't no-CD patch available. I strongly suspect some game's copy protection system.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
slowmo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:

[...]

ROTFL! Although my first own PC after the Spectrum was already with Win 95, before DirectX3, and, much better, DirectX5, DOS games still were the majority, some times I had to edit those darn files too. But while the web was still poor, compared to now, usenet OTOH was thriving, so I had a huge advantage compared to BBS or no connection at all times. DirectX5 was really a milestone for Windows gaming. My current trouble is messed up CD and DVD drivers, so that I can't play games that require the CD inserted and haven't no-CD patch available. I strongly suspect some game's copy protection system.

I love Directx and can forgive it for killing OpenGL for the simple fact it makes playing games so much easier .  CD and DVD should use standard drivers in Windows, perhaps look at updating your motherboard chipset drivers which will install new IDE controller drivers with any luck.

slowmo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
slowmo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:

[...]

I love Directx and can forgive it for killing OpenGL for the simple fact it makes playing games so much easier .  CD and DVD should use standard drivers in Windows, perhaps look at updating your motherboard chipset drivers which will install new IDE controller drivers with any luck.

Thx, I'll check again, last time I did they had still the old ones for my mobo on Asus site. I fear a malfunctioning copy protection program corrupted them each time I repaired them, though, as the drive was recognized again for a short time even copying generic drivers from the Windows CD, just to stop working correctly shortly after, and it's not faulty HW, under Linux it reads and writes correctly (although this Samsung is fussier with some blank CD-Rs than the Sony I had before). I preferred OpenGL too, but I can't deny since version 5 MS did a good job with DirectX.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Jadedx said:
D-Joe said:
what is "real" games actually?

Since he is a PC gamer probably boring rts games.

"boring rts games" is an oxymoron.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
slowmo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
slowmo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kynes said:

[...]

Thx, I'll check again, last time I did they had still the old ones for my mobo on Asus site. I fear a malfunctioning copy protection program corrupted them each time I repaired them, though, as the drive was recognized again for a short time even copying generic drivers from the Windows CD, just to stop working correctly shortly after, and it's not faulty HW, under Linux it reads and writes correctly (although this Samsung is fussier with some blank CD-Rs than the Sony I had before). I preferred OpenGL too, but I can't deny since version 5 MS did a good job with DirectX.

Give this a whirl:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Mistershine said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
slowmo said:

[...]

Give this a whirl:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Thank you, I don't rememeber whether this was a solution I already tried or not, but trying won't hurt.

So... is the 360 still winning 2011 or do we need quarterly shipment results too lol?

I just realised I posted a 'back in my day' post. Fuck, I feel old now.