By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama loses in the November 2012 election, now what? Hypothetically speaking....

spurgeonryan said:
HappySqurriel said:
PDF said:
Very little changes, greatest affect is the end of universal health care in the US for a while.

What universal healthcare would be ended?

Could he be talking about the one Obama has been trying to get started for 2 years now or so?

Forcing people to buy insurance from private companies is not universal health care, it is one of the most abusive examples of crony capitalism that has occurred in my lifetime though.

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
darkknightkryta said:
chocoloco said:
O Canada! My home and not so native but new land,

It ain't all roses and sunshine up here either.  Go to South America, they're gonna be the internet capitol of the world soon.

What do you mean by that?

Can't remember which countires are doing this, but they're making 100gb lines for the people.  Most I can get in Canada is 50mb and that's gonna run me a bill of 100 dollars with a 200 gig cap (Which is the highest cap you can pretty much get in the province since the smaller ISPs arn't everywhere).

I can't predict the future. But I see the whole governmental system as broken and corrupted by cooperate money. Regardless of who wins the wealth gap will continue to rise and the laws and regulations of this country will continue to be written by the wealthy to serve there wishes regardless of public opinion. So this difference to me is... If you want to have that happen a lot faster vote Republican Or If you want it to happen a little slower vote Democrat

ImJustBayuum said:
HappySqurriel said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Obama is not going to lose 2012, the gop lineup is quite weak imo.

While I'm probably sounding like a broken record, I think Obama's chances of re-election are entirely dependent on the state of the economy ...

If the unemployment rate falls below 8%, inflation remains under control, and there is no shock to the economy Obama will (easily) win re-election. On the other hand, if unemployment increases significantly, people start feeling the effects of inflation, or there is a shock to the economy that leads to government intervention (especially a bailout) Obama would lose an election running against Paulie Shore.

1. Significant increase to unemployment %
All signs points to a slowly recovering economy in 2012, chances of a major increase is very low

Actually, if you look at the numbers a slowly recovering economy is possibly the biggest chance the unemployment rate WILL increase.

The great lie currently built in to our shrinking unemployment rate is that MOST of the decrease has been because of people dropping out of the labor market... and NOT job growth.

Participation in the economy is shrinking quite a bit still.

To be at a real "No unemployment increase" we'd need to be creating 250,000 to 350,000 jobs a month.  Just to tred water.

Lots of people are out of the labor force, and even more have never entered it.  I think the figure is something like... the amount of people in the labor markets (people looking for jobs) was supposed to increase by 2 million, and instead has increased by 50,000 so far.

There are a lot of people waiting to enter the job market... and a lot of people who will reeneter it as things get better.

HappySqurriel said:
spurgeonryan said:
HappySqurriel said:
PDF said:
Very little changes, greatest affect is the end of universal health care in the US for a while.

What universal healthcare would be ended?

Could he be talking about the one Obama has been trying to get started for 2 years now or so?

Forcing people to buy insurance from private companies is not universal health care, it is one of the most abusive examples of crony capitalism that has occurred in my lifetime though.

Well... it's technically universal healthcare.

It's just not a good use of it.

I have to change my healthcare now thanks to the stupid law.  It's going to either raise my montly premium by $80 a month if I want to give up my copays and fully pay for 70% of my doctors vists.

Or $150 if I want to keep my Copay plan.

Considering what I make a year, i can't see who this law is actually helping.

Around the Network

Oh, and If Romney or Gingrich win?

Really, nothing happens. The economy might improve SLIGHTLY faster... but really only slightly, we'll likely end up with a lot more wasted stimulus money to Keynesian type plans and in general probably end up bankrupt long term as nobody is willing to cut deficits.

I mean, mainstream republicans really just want OTHER types of Keynesian stimulus, but just brand the Democrats preferred ways of racking of credit as Keynesian moves.

The country would be much better off with 4 more years of Obama, and in general HOPEFULLY your typical Keynesian style stimulus stuff finally put to bed.

I would be happy but, that doesn't mean we wont be  screwed because lets face it no matter who goes in the office we are still facing high prices at the pump.

And low employment rates  this will continue because think about how many pregnant woman there are a year.

The more people, the less jobs we have available if they don't create more jobs.      

That being said until the situation is fixed we must go on.

goldeneye0074eva2222 said:

And low employment rates  this will continue because think about how many pregnant woman there are a year.

True. The dark side of the baby boom that no one ever talks about is that the US had a ~75% unemployment rate.

As an outsider who lives in Canada and has absolutely no say in your politics, please keep Obama. Why? Because it's so much more entertaining to watch Republicans get mad at Democrats in power than the other way around. Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum make me laugh and enjoy American politics more than Obama or John Kerry ever could. Extra points go to Bill Clinton, but still.

Also I don't want to see America take steps backwards in terms of human rights. SANTORUM 2012!

spurgeonryan said:
Veggie said:
As an outsider who lives in Canada and has absolutely no say in your politics, please keep Obama. Why? Because it's so much more entertaining to watch Republicans get mad at Democrats in power than the other way around. Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum make me laugh and enjoy American politics more than Obama or John Kerry ever could. Extra points go to Bill Clinton, but still.

Also I don't want to see America take steps backwards in terms of human rights. SANTORUM 2012!

Bill Clinton was my favorite recent president, and Obama right behind him. Clinton did what Obama should have done. Drastically reduce the military! We spend and waste so much money with defense. I would have someone argue with me, but I saw it first hand. We wonder why we are in such a mess?  Oh my God they waste so much!!

Obama had the necessary skills, just he had little help from Congress and others. I am not saying his ideas were all great, but if people could work together then they could have fixed his ideas to make them actually work.

Look at Obamas recent reform of the US military. It's going to be quite a lot smaller in the nearish future.