By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The UK nearly as big as Japan? NOPE

VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
When Japan decided they like a handheld, they buy in DROVES.

Home consoles is where the comparison is valid (in terms of looking at hawrdware)

Seece , You don't believe in this nonsense, do you ?

What 'nonsense'?

We shouldn't count handhelds because they are more popular in Japan, otherwise the comparison isn't valid .. ?

Did I say we shouldn't count handhelds? I didn't say that all.

Right , you didn't <_<

Are you being sarcastic?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Japan is twice as big as UK, just becoz the Japanese have moved to portable handhelds doesnt mean UK is much bigger. I dont get this "UK will be bigger in home consoles then Japan", who cares about home consoles? Just say gaming market, the Japanese have replaced home consoles with handhelds.

No it's 50% bigger which if you actually read the article you'd know.  The population is twice the size.  

So.

It is a fact that per capita the uk is much much bigger.

It is also a fact that taking into account prices the total Japan market is probably only 20% bigger.

It is also a fact that home consoles will be bigger.

Handhelds?. Japan is bigger, but to use your own argument against you, what about social gaming? phone gaming? PC gaming?.. We will never know the real numbers or details.

Well if we compare HW sales yes UK is bigger per capita but not much. 3DS excluded we get these ratios with all current gen consoles.

UK 37.8 million consoles sold for population of 62.5 million = ~0.6 consoles per capita

Japan 71.44 million consoles sold for population of 128 million = ~0.56 consoles per capita

Regarding SW sales UK is of course a lot bigger per capita as it's little bigger even by raw units. Don't know why Japanese buy so few games though. Probably because of insane prices and enormous second hand market.

Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:

Home consoles is where the comparison is valid (in terms of looking at hawrdware)

What 'nonsense'?

We shouldn't count handhelds because they are more popular in Japan, otherwise the comparison isn't valid .. ?

Right , you didn't <_<

Are you being sarcastic?

I honestly thought you were

I just don't see how counting the handhelds is making the comparison invalid .

VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:
VXIII said:
Seece said:

What 'nonsense'?

Right , you didn't <_<

Are you being sarcastic?

I honestly thought you were

I just don't see how counting the handhelds is making the comparison invalid .

Overall it is, Japan sells more hardware than UK, that's why I said Home consoles is the only comparison you can make between the two when it comes to HW. Overall Japan is ahead 755k for the gen, but UK sold 600k more for 2011

KillerMan said:

Actually marginally more games were sold in UK last year than in Japan (thanks to MW3) but games itself are a lot more expensive in Japan (PS3 games retail normally with 8000 yen price tag = 65 pounds...) and majority of the games ltd sales come from full price when in UK the price collapses rather quickly. Also as HW market Japan has always been far bigger. With these combined the Japanese market makes a lot more revenue.

nice picture,if we can know PC game sales in japan that would be better(guess maybe can tie or beat UK a little?)

Around the Network

UK market is definitely smaller than Japan market and will always be by a wide margin, just look at the numbers on VGC (in units not in money as exchange rates mess comparisons).

kowenicki said:
siphillis said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Japan is twice as big as UK, just becoz the Japanese have moved to portable handhelds doesnt mean UK is much bigger. I dont get this "UK will be bigger in home consoles then Japan", who cares about home consoles? Just say gaming market, the Japanese have replaced home consoles with handhelds.

No it's 50% bigger which if you actually read the article you'd know.  The population is twice the size.

So.

It is also a fact that taking into account prices the total Japan market is probably only 20% bigger.

Handhelds?. Japan is bigger, but to use your own argument against you, what about social gaming? phone gaming? PC gaming?.. We will never know the real numbers or details.

the thing you forget is that a lot of europeans import from the uk because you get a 30% discount on everything you buy there compared to our countries.

Still?  Doubt it, the Euro is on it's arse.

Anyway, this may have been  be true of dedicated gamers but not for the vast majority.

35 pounds = 42€ most games cost here something inbetween 60 to 70€, there a few exceptions ofcourse. even amazon.de sells uk imports.

its not the vast majority that imports but it seems to be a significant amount because retailers here are reducing release day prices for games more frequently or are offering other incentives like a free sony headset for preordering uncharted 3.

kowenicki said:
siphillis said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:

So.

the thing you forget is that a lot of europeans import from the uk because you get a 30% discount on everything you buy there compared to our countries.

Still?  Doubt it, the Euro is on it's arse.

Anyway, this may have been  be true of dedicated gamers but not for the vast majority.

Nah it's still far cheaper in the UK.

Example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004T8C3NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325946898&sr=8-1
£39 (47€)
http://www.amazon.de/EA-Mass-Effect-3/dp/B004FPYHBO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325946846&sr=8-5
69€ (£57)

On the other hand I'm pretty sure that gamers import Japanese games just as much (Vita and RPGs like Tales, Final Fantasy etc.)

siphillis said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:

So.

Not only that, Im from mainland Europe and the games here are 60 to 70 euros. Whereas in the UK I can get a newly released game for 40-45 euros. Blurays and other hardware are very cheap from UK too for us. If prices were higher nobody would import and UK would be even smaller compared to Japan.

Just to say, I bought around 30 games last year and 27 of them comes from the UK, to add to that all my blurays come from the UK. Reason? Cheaper prices.