By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The UK nearly as big as Japan? NOPE

Why does it matter if people import? It still counts towards the UK market 0_o bit of a weak retort.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Just to say, I bought around 30 games last year and 27 of them comes from the UK, to add to that all my blurays come from the UK. Reason? Cheaper prices.

+1 The UK market is over-rated by exports thanks to good prices/exchange rates, but by how much ? I never bought in UK (I'm French) but I hear that a lot of people on VG site forums by in the UK...

To compare JP/UK :
HW :
Home consoles : same size
Portables : Japan = 3xUK
Total HW : Japan = 2xUK

SW :
... I'm lazy, but UK buy more games per console.

kowenicki said:
How have I changed my tune?    as far as home consoles go it will be or already is bigger.  and actually given the information above about pricing the total market is already almost level.  So yeah, given the population, uk is much bigger than Japan already. Thanks.

Bigger, because per head of population they buy more software or hardware?

Thats a strange way of ranking things, So Any country that sells more software per head of population than the US is a bigger than them make me wonder what is truly the biggest software/hardware country in the world?

kowenicki is implying the US is not the biggest country in the world for software hardware, so what according to him is?

Can anyone answer this?

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

daveJ said:
kowenicki said:
How have I changed my tune?    as far as home consoles go it will be or already is bigger.  and actually given the information above about pricing the total market is already almost level.  So yeah, given the population, uk is much bigger than Japan already. Thanks.

Bigger, because per head of population they buy more software or hardware?

Thats a strange way of ranking things, So Any country that sells more software per head of population than the US is a bigger than them make me wonder what is truly the biggest software/hardware country in the world?

kowenicki is implying the US is not the biggest country in the world for software hardware, so what according to him is?

Can anyone answer this?

Not agreeing with Kowens interpretation, but that still puts US first (above UK and Japan at least) as it's 5 times bigger than the UK yet per head US is ahead (360 8m in US this year vs 1.5m in UK, PS3 5m in US vs 1m in UK)

Around the Network
Seece said:
Why does it matter if people import? It still counts towards the UK market 0_o bit of a weak retort.

Because it makes no sense to compare per capita values between UK and Japan when a substantial part of UK game sales go to mainland Europe. If you're trying to compare absolute numbers then that's alright, but throwing population sizes into the mix, is when it gets iffy.

I was actually wondering what part of the UK vg market is export for a while now, since I import roughly 50% of my game puchases from the UK. For most of my friends the quota is even higher, because they have credit cards (still unusual in Germany) to get better deals. I'm looking into getting a CC myself right now - just to buy games.

I know that my personal experience holds no real value when looking at the whole market. I doubt that casual gamers import games at all and I have no clue how the situation is in other EU countries, but given the discrepancy in price between the UK and any other EU country I highly doubt it's much different. That's why I would be interested in some real numbers - so if anybody has solid data, please share.

Considering Japan has a population of 128 million and UK has a population of 60 million which makes the U.K. population only 47% of the Japan population and is still roughly 75% as big as the Japanese market. Considering how bad the U.K. market is crashing and how close the GDP per capita is for each is so close I'm really amazed how close these markets are together.

kowenicki said:
Strange that I constantly hear here and on other sites how people import from Kapan... but thats forgotten in this discussion...

No one imports from Kapan

kowenicki said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
kowenicki said:
Strange that I constantly hear here and on other sites how people import from Japan... but thats forgotten in this discussion...

No one imports from Japan

what you on about?

ahaha