By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What you'd like to see in the next (console) Zelda

This is a pretty simple topic. Lots of people want the same things in a handheld Zelda. Console Zeldas can be a bit more divisive.

Many of us have had time to finish and digest Skyward Sword a bit, and many of us also have opinions on where the series should go from here. Is Skyward Sword the right direction? The wrong one? Does your opinion have anything to do with Skyward Sword at all? Man, Groose should be the hero in every game, huh? So let's talk about it.

There are two guidelines here:

1. Post what you want to see in the next console Zelda. You want to see a new villain? Put that in there. Greater focus on story? Put that in there. No story at all? In it goes. You want it, I want to hear about it.

2. This topic is not about shitting on what other people want. We are not here to ridicule each others' desires. It's one thing to have a spirited discussion about what's positive for the franchise or for one's own experience, it's another to take away from what the other person enjoys. If you tell a person their ideas aren't in keeping with the direction of the series, that's fine. If you tell a person their ideas are bad, I will do my very best to hate you to death.

Okay that's it. I'll post what I want in a few minutes.

Around the Network

A zelda where you see ocarina of time's type camera view on the tv, and ALTtP type view on the tablet at the same time...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Skyward Sword got a lot of things right... and here's what I would want Mr. Aonuma to take from the game going forward:

1. The Dungeon is King: The dungeons in Skyward Sword were brilliant. Brilliant. Lanayru Mining Facility? Ancient Cistern? Skykeep? They were masterfully crafted, with each room filled to the brim with fantastic content.

2. (Well Done) Motion Controls: I've never been so engaged in combat before. Whether it's the satisfying shield bash (in your face Lizalfos!) or a precision slice on a quadribaba, there's no going back now. Most everything was superb with the aid of WiiMotion Plus (tightrope walking and skydiving were a bit iffy at times). And it can only get better from here. Even bosses were drastically (drastically!) improved to suit the style of this new control scheme.

3. Upgradable Gear... the Way You Want It: There's almost a game within the game of Skyward Sword of collecting rare items and bugs, just so you could upgrade your gear. But this is an element that could be greatly expanded in the next Zelda. Swordplay should be the main combat element in Zelda (and don't forget the ability to have different swords ala OoT and Majora's Mask)... but give the option to have more secondary weapon options. Want to be a bow-master? Well then go that route! Ball and Chain get you pumped? There's that too! Here's where Zelda's action can start to suit the player.

4. Diversity in Gameplay: Despite the fact that the overworld only offers three main areas to travel... these areas offer you so much to do. Whether it's the fact that these overworld areas could be (well made) dunegons in any other Zelda game, or when you're running for your life in the Silent Realm versions (loved these parts), or when each area is drastically changed by the third Imprisoned Fight (Faron Woods: Flooded, Finally Visiting Lanayru Gorge, going through Forsaken Fortress 2.0 in Eldin Volcano (this was brilliant)). It just offers you so much to do. The pacing in Skyward Sword was amazing.

Here are the things I want to see in a console Zelda, probably on the Wii U.

1. Continuation of motion controls. These are great to me. I like them a lot. In the context of a system designed around them, they are just the tops. I'm okay with having to use another new remote if it comes packaged with the Wii U; i just want the highest fidelity motion controls achievable. Implement the Wii U's special controller for something else if you want, maybe for Wind Waker-style co-op, but I want direct control over Link's sword because it is fun.

2. Enemies with an offensive bent. There were very few enemies in Skyward Sword, mostly a few bosses and Wood Shield Moblins who had lost their shields, that were a threat because they focused on killing you. Most of them would kill you while yo uwere trying to figure out how to hurt them, and let's face it - once you know how to kill a Lizalfos in three movements, you're never going to be challenged by them again, Dark Lizalfos or no.

To that end I'd like to see a ressurection of the Darknuts or the Iron Knuckles, who, in every iteration, are dangerous because if you get within a certain range they will annihilate you. Highly aggressive, highly damaging, often with no defenses whatsoever. Other enemies can be retooled to this end, like some versions of the Stalfos, where they're not stunned by being hit and can hit you like a Mack Truck. These are enemies that present a more active danger, and killing them is often more satisfactory.

Koloktos was one such enemy in Skyward Sword, and he was one of the very best fights in the franchise.

3. More enemy variety. Skyward Sword only had a handful of different enemies, each in an array of different colors with slight variations on how to kill them. I'd like a return to the Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time/most other Zeldas school of enemy design where we get zillions of different enemies to learn how to fight. This allows for a mixture between heavily defensive, heavily offensive, and balanced enemies, as well as being more visually interesting.

I'm fine with recolored enemies, but if we have them then it needs to be like in the first game, where enemies with more health also did more damage.

4. Getting to any dungeon should be a quest, but it should be a cool quest. Skyward Sword did this better than any 3D Zelda except for Majora's Mask, and only stumbled very rarely (hello Water Dragon). I really like this school of dungeon-delving, kind of an extension of what there is in the 2D games. The content density should be very high here, almost Metroid-esque.

Getting to the Sandship was great. I want something like that just... just all the time. Forever.

5. Sidequests should have lots of combat where possible. They should also be fairly involved for people who like the story bits. If you have to pad in terms of content, put some combat in there. They can have lots of other things, too - not every sidequest needs to have an Iron Knuckle - but combat is always fun.

6. The world should feel very mysterious. I love the feeling of lots of implied history. Ancient ruins with no long-winded explanation for what they are, monsters under the earth, people with mysterious motivations. The less I know about the places I'm exploring, the more I can fill in details in my head, the more engaged I am.

7. Ganondorf needs to be the main villain. Yeah, yeah "Ganondorf is in a lot of games", shut up. He hasn't been the main, central villain from the start of a game in ten years. He was the villain in Twilight Princess, but Zant was the star of that show for about half the game. I want a return to the first game or to Ocarina of Time, where he's front and center from Act 1, Scene 2, and you really get time to see how menacing he is. Ganondorf is great.

8. Dungeons should be incredibly dangerous, both from the environment and from enemies. If I die anywhere, it better be in dungeons. I want to walk into a room in a dungeon, go "Oh shit, no" and have to fight for my life. Room full of Blue Iron Knuckles, baby. Wizzrobes. Enemies need to make me wet my pants, and so do puzzles and traps.

9. There need to be fights with lots of enemies at once. One of the best fights in SKyward Sword is near the very beginning, where you have to fight five or six Bokoblins, and it's tough! It is tough, because they are always attacking and highly defensive to boot. The final run down to the final battle, where you fight multiple Moblins and Stalfos? ALso great. Multiple enemies make you feel bad-ass, they're pleasantly difficult, and man, aren't they just so cool?

I'll add more later if anything occurs to me.

Smeags said:
Skyward Sword got a lot of things right... and here's what I would want Mr. Aonuma to take from the game going forward:

1. The Dungeon is King: The dungeons in Skyward Sword were brilliant. Brilliant. Lanayru Mining Facility? Ancient Cistern? Skykeep? They were masterfully crafted, with each room filled to the brim with fantastic content.

2. (Well Done) Motion Controls: I've never been so engaged in combat before. Whether it's the satisfying shield bash (in your face Lizalfos!) or a precision slice on a quadribaba, there's no going back now. Most everything was superb with the aid of WiiMotion Plus (tightrope walking and skydiving were a bit iffy at times). And it can only get better from here. Even bosses were drastically (drastically!) improved to suit the style of this new control scheme.

3. Upgradable Gear... the Way You Want It: There's almost a game within the game of Skyward Sword of collecting rare items and bugs, just so you could upgrade your gear. But this is an element that could be greatly expanded in the next Zelda. Swordplay should be the main combat element in Zelda (and don't forget the ability to have different swords ala OoT and Majora's Mask)... but give the option to have more secondary weapon options. Want to be a bow-master? Well then go that route! Ball and Chain get you pumped? There's that too! Here's where Zelda's action can start to suit the player.

4. Diversity in Gameplay: Despite the fact that the overworld only offers three main areas to travel... these areas offer you so much to do. Whether it's the fact that these overworld areas could be (well made) dunegons in any other Zelda game, or when you're running for your life in the Silent Realm versions (loved these parts), or when each area is drastically changed by the third Imprisoned Fight (Faron Woods: Flooded, Finally Visiting Lanayru Gorge, going through Forsaken Fortress 2.0 in Eldin Volcano (this was brilliant)). It just offers you so much to do. The pacing in Skyward Sword was amazing.

This bit in particular I agree with. One of my favorite things about Skyward Sword is the effective use of in-game real estate. The actual game world itself isn't stupidly enormous, but different tasks make each area feel completely different depending on what you're doing in it. It was really an example of great, great, great design. God. What a good game.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Did you like how Shadow of the Colossus did the ancient ruins thing? No mention of what was going on or had gone on in the land.

I am referring to your number 6.

Shadow of the Colossus did this incredibly well. Probably the best game of the past.... ten years, now, when it comes to presenting a ruined world where you wondered what happened. Majora's Mask or the first Zelda may have done it better, though.

Khuutra said:

God. What a good game.

You said it.

I had this stupid grin on my face while I was writing about it.

Could write a story on this one.

-The ability to finish any dungeon you want at anytime. (Expect the last one of course)
-Get rid of the fetch quests
-Get rid if the puzzles I hate'em
-Make the game skill focused. I want it replayable
-Make the game hard and blood rushing like some of the rooms in the original
-Make the items act like weapons. If I want to beat the game using only the slingshot I should be able to do that
-Keep the motion controls but make use of the shield more
-Make the Dungeons like mazes where I can get lost(Would make me feel scared since I'm struggling to survive and can't find the boss)
-The upgrade system get rid of it. This isn't monster hunter. I want to be able to get swords by finding it or doing special tasks or buying. Anything is better then the upgrade system
-New content. No more Water,Fire,Grass or whatever theme dungeons. They can have places like that but don't make it any theme dungeons. Sorta like ALTTP Skyward Sword did this part well in parts
-Make more different types of enemies
-Make it so I can beat the game on a weekend. I don't want to spend 4+ hours just to get pass one dungeon

All that I could think of so far. My wants are here to be judged

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I don't know about motion control with that Oreo-box sized controller (yes I got that from NFG) but I really liked that menu idea for the tab-controller. It also would be cool if they could use the tab-controller to be able to zoom into objects and shoot arrows, maybe? But one thing I'm really hoping for is those graphics they showed for it at E3, I really loved the Graphics and I hope they use those for the next console Zelda game!

- Epic Story
- HD Graphics
- I wanna see the Ocarina as the main instrument on the new game,
- Midna coming back
- The Beetle (SS) and the Megaton Hammer (OoT) returning as weapons
- Kokiri Race
- King of The Red Lions
- Zelda personality from Skyward Sword (or Tetra)
- Difficult and Hard Dungeons like the ones from Majora's Marsk
- Tingle
- Ganondorf as the main villian together with Aghahim (pretty dark back stories from them)
- Funny stuff like the ones found on WW and SS
- The End of the game must be the SINKING of Hyrule, and the disappearrance of some races