By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrReview Overall Game of the Year Awards - Results!

VXIII said:
mantlepiecek said:
I am guessing skyrim is the GOTY.....let's see if I am right...

It is definitely the big winner of the year.

without counting the readers' awards :

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 85 Gotys so far

Portal 2 - 28

Batman: Arkham City - 18

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 11

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 8

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 3

Gears of War 3 - 3

L.A. Noire - 3

Battlefield 3  - 2

Dark Souls - 2

.... I think that I'm gonna give it a try soon , after they release the patch

Wait Legend of Zelda has more than Uncharted, I thought it would be the other way around....I guess I have to blame Aldro from announcing every GOTY uncharted has one. 

Around the Network

Theres a lot on that list i dont agree with...

Runa216 said:
but Kirby came out last year and Zelda...was great I agree, but Rayman had a certain something that made it stand out.

My apologies. I come from the UK, where Epic Yarn came out in 2010. I forgot it came out in 2009 in America

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Machina said:
VXIII said:
yo_john117 said:
VXIII said:
mantlepiecek said:

Portal 2 - 28

Gears of War 3 - 3

L.A. Noire - 3

Battlefield 3  - 2

Dark Souls - 2

Skyrim has 85 GOTY awards? 0_o

Do you have a list of them?

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2011/09/2011-game-of-year.html

Bookmark this blog , it's useful ^^

Awesome. Glad to see my pick doing well (Portal 2).

I'm happily surprised. I expected Portal 2 to be overlooked because it came out earlier in the year, as with some other games in past years. 

Glad to see people can remember just how awesome it is though and give it the recognition it deserves!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I suppose that my preferences just don't mesh well with a game like Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, I thought the game was great (and time consuming), but compared to the other great games that came out this year, Skyrim had too many issues to nab my personal GotY. Still, I guess the fact that it's one of the (very) few open world games I've enjoyed says something about it.

My personal GotY list:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
2. Pokemon Black/White (DS)
3. Batman: Arkham City (PC/PS3/X360)
4. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC/PS3/X360)

Around the Network
Nsanity said:

Feel free to name specifics, whole point of a thread it to discuss things and I don't mind debating about or explaining the choices that were made.

VXIII said:
yo_john117 said:
VXIII said:
mantlepiecek said:

Portal 2 - 28

Gears of War 3 - 3

L.A. Noire - 3

Battlefield 3  - 2

Dark Souls - 2

Skyrim has 85 GOTY awards? 0_o

Do you have a list of them?

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2011/09/2011-game-of-year.html

Bookmark this blog , it's useful ^^

Wow thanks! I'm definitely going to bookmark that.

Torillian said:
Nsanity said:

Feel free to name specifics, whole point of a thread it to discuss things and I don't mind debating about or explaining the choices that were made.

Have you ever thought of changing the whole formula ?

I don't see a point in having "best FPS" for every console , it creates conflicts

IMO GameTrailers does it best by having best of every genre,  best game for every console , and overall goty, in addition to other stuff like best story/graphics ... etc

VXIII said:
Torillian said:
Nsanity said:

I don't see a point in having "best FPS" for every console , it creates conflicts

IMO GameTrailers does it best by having best of every genre,  best game for every console , and overall goty, in addition to other stuff like best story/graphics ... etc

Yes, Craig and I have talked about it and next year we plan to have just overall awards and then an award for the best game on each platform, only issue is we'll have to work out how we decide on nominees, the best situation would be similar to gamespot (iirc) where there are nominees announced ahead of time (about 5 for each award) and then readers can vote based on those nominees and the staff will decide their own winner amongst those nominees.  This way we have a much simpler system but we can still give recognition to the smaller guys who might not be able to win a category but should get a mention and we can do more specific awards like best boss battles or other added categories we didn't want to mess with before like Best story.  

Other problem we'll have to figure out is how to work with the overall goty award which will essentially still be the same format as previous years.  How do you pick out 5 nominees for best overall when you haven't decided the one best game on each platform yet?  

Torillian said:
VXIII said:
Torillian said:
Nsanity said:

Yes, Craig and I have talked about it and next year we plan to have just overall awards and then an award for the best game on each platform, only issue is we'll have to work out how we decide on nominees, the best situation would be similar to gamespot (iirc) where there are nominees announced ahead of time (about 5 for each award) and then readers can vote based on those nominees and the staff will decide their own winner amongst those nominees.  This way we have a much simpler system but we can still give recognition to the smaller guys who might not be able to win a category but should get a mention and we can do more specific awards like best boss battles or other added categories we didn't want to mess with before like Best story.  

Other problem we'll have to figure out is how to work with the overall goty award which will essentially still be the same format as previous years.  How do you pick out 5 nominees for best overall when you haven't decided the one best game on each platform yet?  

You don't have to limit the nominees for overall goty by 5 , make them 10 like Gamespot or even 15 , it shouldn't be too hard to estimate the least deserving from each platform , or just list every platform's nominees all together, but that would make the list too long

That's a great system btw, I think it's much better than the current one