By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita sold horribly in its second week.

PS Vita seemed to have a fairly successful launch in Japan, but in it's second week it has only managed to sell 72K. This is bad. In the same week the 3DS sold almost 500K and even the PSP sold significantly more at about 100K (both in Japan). In addition to the poor hardware sales are the equally dissapointing software sales of it's launch week, not one Vita title managed to get into Japans top 20.

I'm definitely having second thoughts about buying one, because as well all know if the console doesn't sell and the games don't sell, then it's hard to say if it the hardware will be well supported. I'm willing to spend about £300 on a Vita (including memory card/game), however putting that money towards a shiny new PC is looking more and more benificial.  Obviously this is early, and things will probably pick up later in Japan once bigger Japanese games are released (MGS, Monster Hunter etc.) and in EU/NA, where vita has a killer lineup with plenty of huge western franchises.

I will probably wait until a price cut/revised hardware to pick one up.

Why is Vita and it's software selling so badly? Is it the cheaper competition with a bigger library? Is it the lack of system selling software? 

What does Vita need to compete with the competition? A price cut? More system sellers? Better marketing? Cheaper software and Memory cards?

Will the European/North American launch and brilliant line-up of the next year boost it's sales high enough to make it compete? 

Around the Network

Lack of anything apealing for the Japanese crowd, itll most likely do very well on the West, but until it get some Japanes apealing games it wont sell very well on Japan.

Everything about it is wrong at the moment- it's a great console, but it needs:

- Good games
- Cheaper price
- Bundles (with a game and a memory card)

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

radishhead said:
Everything about it is wrong at the moment- it's a great console, but it needs:

- Good games
- Cheaper price
- Bundles (with a game and a memory card)

The Good games are definitely there and coming (especially the EU/NA launch line-up) but there's just aren't any system sellers for the Japanese market yet.

I will probably buy it when I see a cheaper price and a good bundle, and I'm sure plenty more are the same, so I guess that's exactly what it needs.

They are buying the 3DS instead; it is a system with a more appealing lineup of games and also looks to have much greater potential; due to Monster Hunter 4 coming out, Dragon Quest games, and Pokemon .

I think that our launch and US launches will be similar. I don't think it will even begin to do very well until it has a price drop and software like a Final Fantasy 7 remake.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm definitely having second thoughts about buying one, because as well all know if the console doesn't sell and the games don't sell, then it's hard to say if it the hardware will be well supported. I'm willing to spend about £300 on a Vita (including memory card/game), however putting that money towards a shiny new PC is looking more and more benificial. 

Just wait, let the product mature before buying one, by the end of next year you will have a better picture of the future of the console. The companies will show how commited are with the handheld during the E3 and we can be sure if the library will have really unique games or will be only ports of PS3 games in a smaller screen. It just too early to say it will be a success but also to say is doomed.

Also is possible that the console or its accesories will be discounted and or bundled during the next holiday period.

Jumpin said:
They are buying the 3DS instead; it is a system with a more appealing lineup of games and also looks to have much greater potential.

I think that our launch and US launches will be similar.

I disagree, the Vitas lineup includes many franchises that are huge in the west (COD, Assassins creed, Uncharted, Bioshock etc.), so I'd say the lineups are at least even, personally I think the Vita has by far the better lineup potentially. It's more of a problem of the lack of games appealing to the Japanese and big Japanese franchises. The Japan launch line-up was very good, it just didn't have many big Japanese games. Imagine a monster hunter game launched on Vita. This thread wouldn't exist if that was the case. 

I think the EU/NA launches will be much better received because 2012 will have a killer line-up, mostly appealing to the west. Hopefully it will be bundled loads and maybe even get a small price-cut before the year ends.

2 weeks in and you know the fate of the vita?

seriously. as you have pointed out the psp id still selling loads (unlike the ds). So the pull is still towards the psp instead of the vita probably because the monster hunters, gundams, mgs's, and so on are on the psp on not the vita (while some of the ds best franchise as made the transition to the 3ds)

The vitas line up is far more appealing to europe and the us with uncharted the shining star.

enough of all this vita doom and weigh it up next year when its had a chance to prove itself.

Just what we need, another thread to over analyze and draw massive long term worldwide conclusions, all from Vita's second week in Japan.