By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita sold horribly in its second week.

SWORDF1SH said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Jumpin said:
They are buying the 3DS instead; it is a system with a more appealing lineup of games and also looks to have much greater potential.

I think that our launch and US launches will be similar.

I disagree, the Vitas lineup includes many franchises that are huge in the west (COD, Assassins creed, Uncharted, Bioshock etc.), so I'd say the lineups are at least even, personally I think the Vita has by far the better lineup potentially. It's more of a problem of the lack of games appealing to the Japanese and big Japanese franchises. The Japan launch line-up was very good, it just didn't have many big Japanese games. Imagine a monster hunter game launched on Vita. This thread wouldn't exist if that was the case. 

I think the EU/NA launches will be much better received because 2012 will have a killer line-up, mostly appealing to the west. Hopefully it will be bundled loads and maybe even get a small price-cut before the year ends.

doesnt this contradict your whole thread and you just answered your own question. japan need japanese appealing games like you just said. as for the eu and na we dont know how well its going to do because it hasnt launched and we know that with the launch line up with more eu and na orientated games it should do better.

and people predicting price cuts in the eu and na before its even launched is extremely mad.how can people predict how well its going to sell

poor thread

Well not really, I wanted to see everyone elses opinion on it, since I don't really know what makes a system sell really well apart from the obvious. 

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
I mean you've clearly done enough research to know all about the issues, I don't see why you wanted to make another thread - it's just recycled opinions at this point.

Why is Vita and it's software selling so badly? Is it the cheaper competition with a bigger library? Is it the lack of system selling software? Obviously yes to both

What does Vita need to compete with the competition? A price cut? More system sellers? Better marketing? Cheaper software and Memory cards? Obviously yes to all

Will the European/North American launch and brilliant line-up of the next year boost it's sales high enough to make it compete? The only worthy question, but then again, with your title, doesn't fit - unless you want to make those conclusions I previously mentioned.

Ah, Ok. Thanks for telling me what you think is wrong with the thread. I've only seen one thread that speculated on how the Vita will do, think spurgeonryan made it, sorry if there's loads. And as to the questions I asked, they were obviously partly responsible but I want to know what people think is the most important factor. 

How doesn't the EU/NA launch being good not fit my title? This threads mainly about Japan and what it needs to compete with 3DS in Japan.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Aj_habfan said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Aj_habfan said:

Just what we need, another thread to over analyze and draw massive long term worldwide conclusions, all from Vita's second week in Japan.

No, I'm simply asking why the Vitas launch is poor and what it needs to compete with the 3DS. 

What "massive long term worldwide conclusions" did I come to? 

You didn't, you instead posed about 50 questions for us to answer and bore the topic some more with massive long term worldwide conclusions.

If you find the topic and questions I asked boring then why are you here? There are plenty of other threads you may be interested in. If all you are going to do is complain about other people asking questions and wanting to talk about a certain topic then fuck off.

Other people are interested in the questions, they are posting about them. Again, there were no "massive long term worldwide conclusions" anywhere in my post.  

You're right, there are plenty of other threads for me. Like in the hot topics section alone:

"Can the Sony Vita resist the 3DS storm?"

"Media Create Sales 12/19 ~ 12/25 (vitas 2nd week in Japan you referenced)"

"Official Playstation Vita Thread"

"Forbes take on PSVita launch"

"Playstation Vita sold better than some people think"

SWORDF1SH said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
SWORDF1SH said:
2 weeks in and you know the fate of the vita?

seriously. as you have pointed out the psp id still selling loads (unlike the ds). So the pull is still towards the psp instead of the vita probably because the monster hunters, gundams, mgs's, and so on are on the psp on not the vita (while some of the ds best franchise as made the transition to the 3ds)

The vitas line up is far more appealing to europe and the us with uncharted the shining star.

enough of all this vita doom and weigh it up next year when its had a chance to prove itself.

No, I'm simply asking why the Vitas launch is poor and what it needs to compete with the 3DS. 

I also think the Vita will do very well in EU/NA, I'm talking mainly about Japan.

no. you said youre worried about it selling because if it doesnt it wont get support from developers but then you go on about how well it will sell in eu/na and how much amazing support it as

are you confused??

Sure it's got a great lineup announced, but I said I was having second thoughts about whether it'll sell well enough to keep getting support, sure the first 2 years look great, but the PSP also has a great first 2-3 years, then the support dropped. 

you do realise that the vita model that everyone is interested in is actually sold out nearly right (the wifi) model, so the left over models will be the more expensive 3g model, just wait till the next shipment comes in, and then we can talk

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Aj_habfan said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Aj_habfan said:

Just what we need, another thread to over analyze and draw massive long term worldwide conclusions, all from Vita's second week in Japan.

What "massive long term worldwide conclusions" did I come to? 

You didn't, you instead posed about 50 questions for us to answer and bore the topic some more with massive long term worldwide conclusions.

If you find the topic and questions I asked boring then why are you here? There are plenty of other threads you may be interested in. If all you are going to do is complain about other people asking questions and wanting to talk about a certain topic then fuck off.

Other people are interested in the questions, they are posting about them. Again, there were no "massive long term worldwide conclusions" anywhere in my post.  

You're right, there are plenty of other threads for me. Like in the hot topics section alone:

"Can the Sony Vita resist the 3DS storm?"

"Media Create Sales 12/19 ~ 12/25 (vitas 2nd week in Japan you referenced)"

"Official Playstation Vita Thread"

"Forbes take on PSVita launch"

"Playstation Vita sold better than some people think"

Look at my other reply to you.

Still waiting to see what "massive long term worldwide conclusions" I've come to...

Andrespetmonkey said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
SWORDF1SH said:

seriously. as you have pointed out the psp id still selling loads (unlike the ds). So the pull is still towards the psp instead of the vita probably because the monster hunters, gundams, mgs's, and so on are on the psp on not the vita (while some of the ds best franchise as made the transition to the 3ds)

The vitas line up is far more appealing to europe and the us with uncharted the shining star.

enough of all this vita doom and weigh it up next year when its had a chance to prove itself.

I also think the Vita will do very well in EU/NA, I'm talking mainly about Japan.

no. you said youre worried about it selling because if it doesnt it wont get support from developers but then you go on about how well it will sell in eu/na and how much amazing support it as

are you confused??

Sure it's got a great lineup announced, but I said I was having second thoughts about whether it'll sell well enough to keep getting support, sure the first 2 years look great, but the PSP also has a great first 2-3 years, then the support dropped. 

youre talking about something different completely. and if youre talking about japan the the psp is still well supported and sells extremely well. I dont know where youre goiung with this. 

are you talkin about japan or not.

also the vita will launch at a lower price to the psp, is easier to develop for than psp and is a totally different device to the psp. not just a psp with better graphics.

also sony only shipped 500k to japan so they probably werent expecting massive figures with no system sellers and psp still selling.

Yup the main problem is to kill off the PSP and let the PSV actually dominate (like what 3DS struggled to do with its weak launch; the DS was still selling well). But yet another problem lies in the fact that PSP has loads of games which PSV obviously hasn't, and PSV isn't able to replicate it through proper bakward compatibility (like what the 3DS can do.)

And the thing about naysayers crying "DOOM". They are partially justified. Yes the 3DS seemed to fail and all seemed bleak back then, but the circumstances are different. The Vita, sadly, is "failing" at a much greater pace, even when circumstances are supposed to favour it very much.

Pretty nice launch lineup, same price as launch 3DSes, holiday season, 1 week before Christmas. All of these would normally equate to strong sales. But the Vita didn't get this. It sold for lower than 3DS's launch numbers, plus the pretty bad plummet (200k for 3DS, 72k for Vita for Week 2 after launch).

Even though the current picture shows a bad, bad situation for Vita, remember it is only Week 2 into the console's lifespan. There is a lot that Sony can do to flip the tables, like what the 3DS could.

But on another note, I do think that the Japan Vita's launch lineup would be more suited for a Western audience. Well, there isn't Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest or anything big (as viewed by the Japanese), and Uncharted doesn't really seem to be as big a thing as these traditional stronghold franchises there, so...

The only moment to deem Vita's fate would be after it launches in the West. If the Vita still blunders there, then I can safely guarantee that Sony's screwed. But I don't think that's the case. The launch lineup's clearly for a Western audience.

(And about Tales and FF X boosting Vita sales, I don't really agree with this. That Tales game (forgot the name) is a remake of a DS game, and FF X is only in early development stages, so the boost by Tales wouldn't really be huge, and FF would only come out a long time after, maybe a little too late to salvage the situation if anything bad happens in the nearer future.)

Even though I admit that I'm pro-Nintendo and rather anti-Sony (shit don't come after me), I believe that both the 3DS and the Vita need competition between each other in order to keep their own toes up against the smartphone tsunami. If either the 3DS or PSV flops, then nothing'll keep the companies on their toes to continue innovating (since they just outright reject the notion that smartphones are killing their platforms). Which means the whole handheld legacy on this planet's pretty much doomed. That'll be the real doom.

So doom for Vita? Hell no. Please.

SWORDF1SH said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
SWORDF1SH said:

are you confused??

youre talking about something different completely. and if youre talking about japan the the psp is still well supported and sells extremely well. I dont know where youre goiung with this. 

are you talkin about japan or not.

also the vita will launch at a lower price to the psp, is easier to develop for than psp and is a totally different device to the psp. not just a psp with better graphics.

also the vita will launch at a lower price to the psp, is easier to develop for than psp and is a totally different device to the psp. not just a psp with better graphics.sony only shipped 500k to japan so they probably werent expecting massive figures with no system sellers and psp still selling.

Urgh, yeah now I am, I intended to talk mainly about Japan but then you started talking about how I said EU/NA has a great lineup, so I was addressing that. 

also the vita will launch at a lower price to the psp, is easier to develop for than psp and is a totally different device to the psp. not just a psp with better graphics.sony only shipped 500k to japan so they probably werent expecting massive figures with no system sellers and psp still selling.

Great, thank you, that is a response to some of the questions I asked and second thoughts I had.

Andrespetmonkey said:

PS Vita seemed to have a fairly successful launch in Japan, but in it's second week it has only managed to sell 72K. This is bad. In the same week the 3DS sold almost 500K and even the PSP sold significantly more at about 100K (both in Japan). In addition to the poor hardware sales are the equally dissapointing software sales of it's launch week, not one Vita title managed to get into Japans top 20.

I'm definitely having second thoughts about buying one, because as well all know if the console doesn't sell and the games don't sell, then it's hard to say if it the hardware will be well supported. I'm willing to spend about £300 on a Vita (including memory card/game), however putting that money towards a shiny new PC is looking more and more benificial.  Obviously this is early, and things will probably pick up later in Japan once bigger Japanese games are released (MGS, Monster Hunter etc.) and in EU/NA, where vita has a killer lineup with plenty of huge western franchises.

I will probably wait until a price cut/revised hardware to pick one up.

Why is Vita and it's software selling so badly? Is it the cheaper competition with a bigger library? Is it the lack of system selling software? 

What does Vita need to compete with the competition? A price cut? More system sellers? Better marketing? Cheaper software and Memory cards?

Will the European/North American launch and brilliant line-up of the next year boost it's sales high enough to make it compete? 

also this underlined could probably be seen as the "worldwide conclusion". Seems it to be that youre making a worldwide conclusion from 2 weeks of japan sales. also your whole thread is that the vita is doomed which is worldwide too.