By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita sold horribly in its second week.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Jumpin said:
They are buying the 3DS instead; it is a system with a more appealing lineup of games and also looks to have much greater potential.

I think that our launch and US launches will be similar.

I disagree, the Vitas lineup includes many franchises that are huge in the west (COD, Assassins creed, Uncharted, Bioshock etc.), so I'd say the lineups are at least even, personally I think the Vita has by far the better lineup potentially. It's more of a problem of the lack of games appealing to the Japanese and big Japanese franchises. The Japan launch line-up was very good, it just didn't have many big Japanese games. Imagine a monster hunter game launched on Vita. This thread wouldn't exist if that was the case. 

I think the EU/NA launches will be much better received because 2012 will have a killer line-up, mostly appealing to the west. Hopefully it will be bundled loads and maybe even get a small price-cut before the year ends.

Are any of those huge on handheld?

Edit:

1. Assassin's Creed PSP - 330K in the US
2. Call of Duty PSP - 440K in the US

Two big console game series that are actually not very big on handheld.

No data for Uncharted or Bioshock handheld games, but these games are not really as big as you might think they are on home console, and I am not sure how they would be big on handheld.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

by the time i get it (april) the situation will be much better, besides the launch lineup there's tons of games that are supposed to come out until then.

i also expect big titles being announced this year.

next year's holidays the Vita will have a very healthy library and should sell very well.

i'm so hyped for it, especially after trying it out =)

SWORDF1SH said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

PS Vita seemed to have a fairly successful launch in Japan, but in it's second week it has only managed to sell 72K. This is bad. In the same week the 3DS sold almost 500K and even the PSP sold significantly more at about 100K (both in Japan). In addition to the poor hardware sales are the equally dissapointing software sales of it's launch week, not one Vita title managed to get into Japans top 20.

I'm definitely having second thoughts about buying one, because as well all know if the console doesn't sell and the games don't sell, then it's hard to say if it the hardware will be well supported. I'm willing to spend about £300 on a Vita (including memory card/game), however putting that money towards a shiny new PC is looking more and more benificial.  Obviously this is early, and things will probably pick up later in Japan once bigger Japanese games are released (MGS, Monster Hunter etc.) and in EU/NA, where vita has a killer lineup with plenty of huge western franchises.

I will probably wait until a price cut/revised hardware to pick one up.

Why is Vita and it's software selling so badly? Is it the cheaper competition with a bigger library? Is it the lack of system selling software? 

What does Vita need to compete with the competition? A price cut? More system sellers? Better marketing? Cheaper software and Memory cards?

Will the European/North American launch and brilliant line-up of the next year boost it's sales high enough to make it compete? 

also this underlined could probably be seen as the "worldwide conclusion". Seems it to be that youre making a worldwide conclusion from 2 weeks of japan sales. also your whole thread is that the vita is doomed which is worldwide too.

How the hell is that a conclusion? It's me having second thoughts because I know bad sales = less support, and I'm not sure how Vita will sell. Not saying it will sell well or not, I'm saying I don't know and therefore having second thoughts. Not a worldwide conclusion at all.

My whole thread has nothing to with the Vita being "doomed". It's about looking at it's bad launch, seeing how it can start selling well and how it will compete with the competition. It's focused of Japan because I think it will do well in EU/NA.

Jumpin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Jumpin said:
They are buying the 3DS instead; it is a system with a more appealing lineup of games and also looks to have much greater potential.

I disagree, the Vitas lineup includes many franchises that are huge in the west (COD, Assassins creed, Uncharted, Bioshock etc.), so I'd say the lineups are at least even, personally I think the Vita has by far the better lineup potentially. It's more of a problem of the lack of games appealing to the Japanese and big Japanese franchises. The Japan launch line-up was very good, it just didn't have many big Japanese games. Imagine a monster hunter game launched on Vita. This thread wouldn't exist if that was the case. 

I think the EU/NA launches will be much better received because 2012 will have a killer line-up, mostly appealing to the west. Hopefully it will be bundled loads and maybe even get a small price-cut before the year ends.

I guess we will find out. Many of them have never been on a dedicated handheld.

rutea7 said:
by the time i get it (april) the situation will be much better, besides the launch lineup there's tons of games that are supposed to come out until then.

next year's holidays the Vita will have a very healthy library and should sell very well.

You tried it out? :D Lucky you.

How were the controls and the screen? Are the analogs as good as the Dualshock 3s?

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
rutea7 said:

You tried it out? :D Lucky you.

How were the controls and the screen? Are the analogs as good as the Dualshock 3s?

i did. i loved it, i tried wipeout, uncharted and gravity daze. the screen is awesome.

the analogs were really good, a lot smaller than the dualshock 3 but much more confortable than the one on psp. my friend thought they looked a bit fragile but i didnt think so, he's more of a pc gamer though. i'd recomend carrying in a case for protection but i think thats common sense.

the interface was good i didnt explore it that much, i did some switching between game and interface and it felt very fluid.

the loading times in gravity daze needs improving though, just in the beginning, the demo took forever to start but after that there was no more loading.

Jumpin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Jumpin said:

Edit:

1. Assassin's Creed PSP - 330K in the US
2. Call of Duty PSP - 440K in the US

Two big console game series that are actually not very big on handheld.

No data for Uncharted or Bioshock handheld games, but these games are not really as big as you might think they are on home console, and I am not sure how they would be big on handheld.

I have heard this before and it's a good point but I think COD will sell well on vita because:

- The cod that released on Vita was released when COD wasn't a huge franchise, it was popular, but nothing like today. And PSP didn't have full functionalities of even the PSP (analog sticks, which are pretty important for shooters using controllers)

- When those games released on PSP we already had the next gen systems, PSP was no longer seen as a portable home console, the next gen of home consoles will most probably come in 2013, aside from WiiU, meaning COD will be release when Vita is still seen as portable home console, and will have all the functionalities of the current gen. 

Don't get me wrong, I doubt these games will sell amazingly, like they do on consoles, but I think they will do OK to very well.

I think the sales will get at the end of january, then every week a good game comes out, like tales of innocence r, ragnarok odissey and gravity daze, vita will sell well in the long run

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

There is a thread about this topic. Here

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

i will say it once again. playstation has an identity problem. they have this constant desire to appeal to grownups. like everything they do. psn home, sports champion, etc.... some times its better to be over the top than realistic. fun trumps realism in most cases. 3ds has games that appeal to kids as well as adults. nintendo has a stable of characters that we grew up with our kids grew up with and grand kids will grow up with. if a kid ask for a 3ds you have the marios with the big bright colors to go after. what does vita have? if sony want to do anything instead of last of us they should tell naughty dog to make a shorter fatter crash bandicoot and bring back the mascot that made me buy a ps2