By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL March 2007 NPD thread

Erik,

Interesting thought.

I myself was a bit perplexed as to why the Wii numbers seemed so low in comparison to the previous months. I doubt that retailers have been stockpiling Wii's, but with the likes of Toy's R Us keeping shipments cooped up for a week for Sunday sales, I suppose two weeks of hoarding is within' the realm of possibility. 

I think the bigger question would be, what exactly is coming up ( holidays and whatnot), besides a particular big sale for a certain chain of stores, that would keep retails across the board hoarding Wii’s?

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Around the Network

During typically slow periods of the retail month, why not release one of your most traffic inducing electronic devices? I have heard from others in retail that they sell out of the Wii as soon as they receive them, but these were not stockers. Nor were they present when the shipment actually arrived. The computer can track all this obviously, but who's responsible for the initial data input? (the various store retailers are) So can store stockpiling then be completely ruled out? Interesting speculation gents.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

sieanr said:
windbane said:
revolutions said:
Hus said:
shams said:

The 360 continues to build its lead,

actualy kiddy, 360 lost half a mill of its lead in march.

I think he meant to say, the 360 continues to lose to the PS2. ;)

In the 360 lifetime it has only beaten the PS2 once (April of '06).

Or he meant worldwide, where the PS3 gained on the 360.

Yet this is the NDP thread, not worldwide

PS3 lost ground to the 360 this month

Right, until you put the NDP numbers into world context, in which case the PS3 gained on the 360 despite the 360 winning the US region.

Well, whyever units were understocked, Nintendo said that the ramp-up should hit in April, so sales should be better then. Hopefully they can hit 400K, but I have very little faith in Nintendo's ability to deliver that many. Its a shame that we can't have a company ship the correct amount of units within 2 or 3 million. PSP, PS3, X360 all overstock by millions, and DS and Wii understock by millions. Its a bit ridiculous.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
Well, whyever units were understocked, Nintendo said that the ramp-up should hit in April, so sales should be better then. Hopefully they can hit 400K, but I have very little faith in Nintendo's ability to deliver that many. Its a shame that we can't have a company ship the correct amount of units within 2 or 3 million. PSP, PS3, X360 all overstock by millions, and DS and Wii understock by millions. Its a bit ridiculous.

Indeed, it seems to me that Nintendo is doing this on purpose. Surely their production can't be that bad?  I refuse to buy my Wii if I have to get up early Sunday morning and stand in line when it has been 5 months since launch.

Around the Network
Hus said:
shams said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Hus is the youngest member of the forum? He certainly writes like he is (not from this post precisely -- this particular post was just pointing out the irony of every thread he has responded to he has said the word 'kiddy')

Seems like NPD won this month. No leaked numbers :(

Erik, You're probably right about Nintendo's production issues though I couldn't believe it when we talked about it here a couple of weeks ago. But let's at least wait for the quarterly results. Maybe they can surprise us with a Wii unit count closer to 7 than 6 million, and the forecast for 2007/08 will tell us a lot about their capacity. NPD accuracy is certainly not beyond any doubt.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

tabsina said:
Hus said:
shams said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Hus is the youngest member of the forum? He certainly writes like he is (not from this post precisely -- this particular post was just pointing out the irony of every thread he has responded to he has said the word 'kiddy')

That would make some sense. He doesn't seem to be able to disagree with people without personal insults. Very immature indeed, if not physically, then socially.

Dissappointing for all consoles tbh, was expecting much higher numbers for all.

Think all current gen consoles got a kick in the face this month(wii, 360, ps3)

The console war is getting more interesting lol :D

Just comparing Feb vs March

Feb

DS - 485,000
Wii - 335,000
PS2 - 295,000
360 - 228,000
PSP - 176,000
GBA - 136,000
PS3 - 127,000
NGC - 24,000

March

DS - 508,000
ps2 - 280,000
Wii - 259,000
360 - 199,000
psp- 180,000
GBA - 148,000
ps3 - 130,000
NGC - 22,000

Depending on which way u look at it, ps3 is one of the few who got higher sales :D