By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL March 2007 NPD thread

Also, just because I wanna add so much more I'm not gonna edit that. I also wanna get my post count up. w00t!

PS2 is winning this generation... Can it win 2 generations in a row?!!?!?! 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
OriGin said:
Where's Kwaad? I remember saving a text file on my desktop a month ago about Kwaad's prediction saying "mark my words with motorstorm and LBP and Home announcement PS3 is going to sell over 300k units is march... i think it's pretty obvious the direction that the market is going now and for the rest of the year... all of the 2007 titles for PS3 are not going to have any effect, the price is too high.

Damn, you caught me!

Mark my words. I also said Wii sales will be low. And holy smokes. They were. 

Still higher than 360 and PS3 ;) :P

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kwaad said:
OriGin said:
Where's Kwaad? I remember saving a text file on my desktop a month ago about Kwaad's prediction saying "mark my words with motorstorm and LBP and Home announcement PS3 is going to sell over 300k units is march... i think it's pretty obvious the direction that the market is going now and for the rest of the year... all of the 2007 titles for PS3 are not going to have any effect, the price is too high.

Damn, you caught me!

Mark my words. I also said Wii sales will be low. And holy smokes. They were.

Still higher than 360 and PS3 ;) :P

I never said it wasnt. I was saying that March there werent many Wii shipments. Everyone called me stuipd.

That is NOT many Wiis. Especially considering their sold-out. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I'm not sure how exactly people are supposed to help VGC get connections. I don't have any connections.

I support what VGC is doing, and I believe the weekly sales numbers will get more and more accurate... And even if they don't, people should focus on the 10-15 years of good data which makes up so much of the site's value, and not the 3 weeks of questionable data...

I'd just suggest that for now, ioi, you just advertise that the site is a "work in progress" a little bit more... And put a disclaimer on early sales estimates... There will always be some people who don't give the site a fair shake, but for people who care about more than the last 40 days, this site will remain the best free sales research resource out there...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Wii sales are obviously a little disappointing. Less so because Wii still outsold PS3 and 360.

Honestly, the 360 number is most disappointing. PS3 is becoming a lost cause and each new low is less surprising than the last, but 360 should be doing more than 200K in a 5-week month... Honestly, 40K a week? In its good region? That works to 65K a week WW. 40 million lifetime is becoming a best-case scenario for this console.

"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Around the Network

Its sad the PS2 outsells all three next-gen plattforms ,but it was kind of expected .Wii sales are dropping quite fast ,although it can be due to shortages but how is it possible that Nintendo ships less consoles that one month ago ?.X360 numbers take a hit also ,and PS3 get a 2% increase ,way below what we were expecting due to the GDC announcements and Motorstorm .Well ,in any case as bad as the numbers sound for Sony its the only next-gen machine that has increased its sales from february ,it sold 2K more while X360 sold 50K less and Wii 100K less .

The DS is making a killing .THe PSP sells allright but cant keep with that monster ,maybe it will be closer in april data due to the price drop .

Wii sales are dropping quite fast ,although it can be due to shortages but how is it possible that Nintendo ships less consoles that one month ago ? Nintendo has shown us repeatedly that they don't really have the supply thing down. After the initial shortages, I think PS2 had 2 or 3 instances of major shortages in the next 6 years... But DS has had constant shortages in Japan and lengthy spot shortages elsewhere in just 2.5 years. iTrackr at 3% suggests Wii is really sold out, though. Nintendo did mention that shipments will be higher in April in their press release... their denial of holding back units for the new fiscal year seems suspect, to say the least.

Diomedes1976 said:

Its sad the PS2 outsells all three next-gen plattforms ,but it was kind of expected .Wii sales are dropping quite fast ,although it can be due to shortages but how is it possible that Nintendo ships less consoles that one month ago ?.X360 numbers take a hit also ,and PS3 get a 2% increase ,way below what we were expecting due to the GDC announcements and Motorstorm .Well ,in any case as bad as the numbers sound for Sony its the only next-gen machine that has increased its sales from february ,it sold 2K more while X360 sold 50K less and Wii 100K less .

The DS is making a killing .THe PSP sells allright but cant keep with that monster ,maybe it will be closer in april data due to the price drop .

I don't think the PSP will be any closer with the release of Pokemon in the US.

It's an interesting time for game sales. You have the DS, Wii, and six and a half year old PS2 outslling the 360, the PS3 and the PSP, the more expensive and technically advanced systems. Most American households do not have HDTVs yet, and most people won't pay $400 or more for a gaming system.

Figures for Wii, 360 and PS3 are quite low. I wouldn't be surprised to see NPD posting an update soon. If the figures hold up I'd really wonder what is going on at Nintendo US. Holding back merchandise just doesn't make business sense. It makes sense to conspiracy theorists, it may make sense to middle (or mediocre) management that are out for bonuses, but for the company as a whole it will mean losing that 2 or 5% of customers who are sick of waiting for good, and I can't believe Nintendo is run like that.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.