By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL March 2007 NPD thread

pcvsconsole has the exact figures for march

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

I don't think they are holding back. Look at known (and official sales data) to date for Wii: End of 2006 Nintendo: 3.19 million USA through Jan 1-April 7 1.05 million or so Japan through Jan 1-April 15 1.10 million or so Then throw in 2007 data for Canada, Europe and Australia. Say that is 75,000/week. That would be 1.125 million... Then knock off 250k to 300k in sales for LTD 3/31..I'd say they ran out of units to ship, because they beat their own sales projects (guessing Nintendo will be at 6.0 to 6.2 million when Nintendo's fiscal data comes out next week). With estimates of 7 million made, and some positioned for Golden Week in Japan, and the PS3 launch in Europe, I'd say around 200k are in retailer warehouses somewhere as people like Best Buy horde the consoles to temporalily meet demand.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Erik Aston said:
Wii sales are dropping quite fast ,although it can be due to shortages but how is it possible that Nintendo ships less consoles that one month ago ? Nintendo has shown us repeatedly that they don't really have the supply thing down. After the initial shortages, I think PS2 had 2 or 3 instances of major shortages in the next 6 years... But DS has had constant shortages in Japan and lengthy spot shortages elsewhere in just 2.5 years. iTrackr at 3% suggests Wii is really sold out, though. Nintendo did mention that shipments will be higher in April in their press release... their denial of holding back units for the new fiscal year seems suspect, to say the least.

In April I have already seen Itracker at 10 or 13 % (wii), but I'm sure that in March I've never seen Wii at more than 1%...

I found it very suspect, now...

So, Nintendo holding backs units or shipping US units for European market ?? 

shams said:

The 360 continues to build its lead,

actualy kiddy, 360 lost half a mill of its lead in march.

Hus said:
shams said:

I think he meant to say, the 360 continues to lose to the PS2. ;)

In the 360 lifetime it has only beaten the PS2 once (April of '06).

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Around the Network
revolutions said:
Hus said:
shams said:

Or he meant worldwide, where the PS3 gained on the 360. 

No more numbers this month?

windbane said:
revolutions said:
Hus said:
shams said:

Or he meant worldwide, where the PS3 gained on the 360.

Yet this is the NDP thread, not worldwide

PS3 lost ground to the 360 this month 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

ioi said:
Li Mu Bai said:
ioi said:
1. God of War II (PS2) Sony 2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (360) Ubisoft 3. Guitar Hero 2 W/ Guitar (360) Red Octane/Activision 4. Wii Play (Wii) Nintendo 5. MotorStorm (PS3) Sony 6. Major League Baseball 2k7 (360) 2K Games 7. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony 8. Def Jam Icon (360) Electronic Arts 9. Guitar Hero 2 W/Guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision 10. God of War (PS2) Sony 11. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar 12. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts 13. Crackdown (360) Microsoft 14. Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) Sega 15. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft 16. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo 17. Gears of War (360) Microsoft 18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games 19. Warioware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo 20. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) Bethesda Again looks good compared to our data - Tiger Woods strong, Sonic again strong, Gears, Twilight Princess, Wario Ware: SM, Oblivion - all in line with our figures.

WE NEED EXACT FIGURES! They're blasting you over at Gaf ioi, undeservedly so judging by the sw numbers. But you've never said your extrapolations/predictions were 100% correct. Though in the future I recommend you wait until the NPD Group releases their "official numbers" so your numbers aren't so far off. It somewhat invalidates all the hard work you've done to the casual observer.

1) If you need exact figures then you have the "exact" figures just released by NPD so there you go.

2) I don't really care what people on GAF think or anything else. They have always been against the concept of this site and that is up to them.

3) If we wait until NPD release their data we may as well just not bother and have their data in a thread or news story like this. You obviously have misunderstood the concept of what we are trying to do here.

You (and most other users) have four options as I see it

1) Be happy with the top 10 (maybe per platform positions) you get released publically from NPD

2) Pay NPD for more of their data or aquire it by some illegal means - not recommended

3) Use our data and help support the site and what we are doing. For something that esseintially uses a very small amount of data to arrive at final figures I think we have done very very well and bodes well for the future. Titles like Tiger Woods, GOW II, GRAW II , Oblivion, Sonic, MLB, Zelda, GOW we were spot on and others we were marginally off as with hardware.

4) Collect and assemble data yourself - good luck!

1) Exact figures given to us by the likes of bunkum, (who has access to hard NPD data) I wasn't asking this of you. My apologies if I was not clear here.

2) I know this, but you're being overly defensive now ioi. Notice my use of the words "undeservedly so," & not all on Gaf were against your site, many (with data) did point out some inconsistincies though. But I felt as that you were never above making adjustments to come up with a more probable numerical value of what x or y sw or hw actually sold. I thought that this was the purpose of VG CHARTZ? Not proving how wrong or right you could be when confronted with actual data. I already applauded your sw figures ioi, I was merely stating that waiting (stating your hw predictions as such) & making your formulaic adjustments after the NPD is released. Nothing more, nothing less. I support what you are doing, otherwise I would not post here. I know VG's operating off of limited data, & agree that what information you & others have compiled is indeed commendable.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

I'm not sure how retaillers operate, but is it possible that THEY held onto a lot of Wiis over the last two weeks of March? They never expected to sell through so many units for so many months, and they are generating a ton of traffic through the store from people looking for Wiis. We know some retaillers hold Wiis for Sunday relaunches: Would they hold them for a Q2 relaunch since they've already sold more Wiis than expected in Q1, and they're generating sales of items in the rest of the store whether or not they stock the Wiis? I kinda doubt this is the case, but a big of rampant speculation never hurt anyone.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.