By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL March 2007 NPD thread

I'm not so sure that demand for the 360 has weakened as much as people are waiting for Elite and the oft rumored pricedrop.

Around the Network
ioi said:
1. God of War II (PS2) Sony 2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (360) Ubisoft 3. Guitar Hero 2 W/ Guitar (360) Red Octane/Activision 4. Wii Play (Wii) Nintendo 5. MotorStorm (PS3) Sony 6. Major League Baseball 2k7 (360) 2K Games 7. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony 8. Def Jam Icon (360) Electronic Arts 9. Guitar Hero 2 W/Guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision 10. God of War (PS2) Sony 11. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar 12. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts 13. Crackdown (360) Microsoft 14. Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) Sega 15. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft 16. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo 17. Gears of War (360) Microsoft 18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games 19. Warioware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo 20. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) Bethesda Again looks good compared to our data - Tiger Woods strong, Sonic again strong, Gears, Twilight Princess, Wario Ware: SM, Oblivion - all in line with our figures.

WE NEED EXACT FIGURES! They're blasting you over at Gaf ioi, undeservedly so judging by the sw numbers. But you've never said your extrapolations/predictions were 100% correct. Though in the future I recommend you wait until the NPD Group releases their "official numbers" so your numbers aren't so far off. It somewhat invalidates all the hard work you've done to the casual observer.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

Where's Kwaad? I remember saving a text file on my desktop a month ago about Kwaad's prediction saying "mark my words with motorstorm and LBP and Home announcement PS3 is going to sell over 300k units is march... i think it's pretty obvious the direction that the market is going now and for the rest of the year... all of the 2007 titles for PS3 are not going to have any effect, the price is too high.

what??! ps3 and 360 didnt do so good deeeeeeggggg.... those two consoles are killing each others sales.. wii must have been supply constrained.. the ps2 still lives i guess...

cant believe the 360 was under 200k ps3 outsold 360 worldwide by alot in march and was the only console to increase in sale for february at least sony fans have that up their pocket

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

@shams when you say DS outsold PSP 3:1 what do you mean DS sold 11.86m Americas PSP sold 8.29m Americas what is 3:1 in these numbers

Around the Network

DS (roughly) outsold PSP 3 to 1 for March in NPD data.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

DS (roughly) outsold PSP 3 to 1 for March in NPD data.

Yup, exactly what I meant.

I saw a mis-leading article a month or so ago, saying that the "PSP was catching up to the DS", stating that the sales gap was closing (in the US).

That is/was a load of crap - I checked the figures from 12 months ago, and the PSP actually OUTSOLD the DS in the matching months (for 12months prior).

PSP / DS (overall) are pretty close in the US, but they will never get closer. The DS will continue to widen its lead, and start taking more of a market share away from the PSP again. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Li Mu Bai said:
ioi said:
1. God of War II (PS2) Sony 2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (360) Ubisoft 3. Guitar Hero 2 W/ Guitar (360) Red Octane/Activision 4. Wii Play (Wii) Nintendo 5. MotorStorm (PS3) Sony 6. Major League Baseball 2k7 (360) 2K Games 7. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony 8. Def Jam Icon (360) Electronic Arts 9. Guitar Hero 2 W/Guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision 10. God of War (PS2) Sony 11. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar 12. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts 13. Crackdown (360) Microsoft 14. Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) Sega 15. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft 16. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo 17. Gears of War (360) Microsoft 18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games 19. Warioware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo 20. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) Bethesda Again looks good compared to our data - Tiger Woods strong, Sonic again strong, Gears, Twilight Princess, Wario Ware: SM, Oblivion - all in line with our figures.

WE NEED EXACT FIGURES! They're blasting you over at Gaf ioi, undeservedly so judging by the sw numbers. But you've never said your extrapolations/predictions were 100% correct. Though in the future I recommend you wait until the NPD Group releases their "official numbers" so your numbers aren't so far off. It somewhat invalidates all the hard work you've done to the casual observer.

Better Idea is to get involved, help VGchartz set up relations with more retailers, then VGchartz will be the place for the "accurate" numbers

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Yeah. DS is pretty clearly taking off in NA now. Over 500K in two consecutive months... And that's before Pokemon and in the slow period of the year! If quarterly demand is 1.5 million, that bodes extremely well for DS doing 8-10 million in NA this year, which is exactly what it needs to assure it gets to that next level... The chance-of-becoming-the-best-selling-hardware-of-all-time level...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

OriGin said:
Where's Kwaad? I remember saving a text file on my desktop a month ago about Kwaad's prediction saying "mark my words with motorstorm and LBP and Home announcement PS3 is going to sell over 300k units is march... i think it's pretty obvious the direction that the market is going now and for the rest of the year... all of the 2007 titles for PS3 are not going to have any effect, the price is too high.

Damn, you caught me!

Mark my words. I also said Wii sales will be low. And holy smokes. They were. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!