By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 running on Android?

Will Ps4 run on android?

Yes, and it will own! 38 22.09%

Yes 11 6.40%

I don't bother as long as the OS is good 34 19.77%

I don't care 18 10.47%

No 33 19.19%

Hell no! 38 22.09%

Total:172
maximrace said:
Reasonable said:
They might I guess. I thought the PS3 OS was too fat for what it did and I think it's proven a bit of a drag on the console in some areas - if Google can deliver something better with a smaller footprint then I could see them going for it.

I think the same thing, the current OS isn't that good on certain aspects. So they have 3 options; google, apple and microsoft. They already have products with android on and a partnership with the other two seems a bit unlogical.

More like they only have 2 options.  Make their own or google

Microsoft unless it drops out of gaming is a direct competitor, so improbable that they would share an OS.

Apple is pretty well known to be a solo company.  They keep to themselves.  They don't branch out any of their things to other companies.  Its purely apple with them.  Maybe though with Steve Job gone, their management starts doing business different, but I wouldn't bet on it.  They are still rolling in the doe I'm pretty sure.

So that leaves Google as only option left besides doing their own.

Around the Network
MaulerX said:
Android is becoming synonymous with viruses and malware. With all the security holes Android has it would be a major catastrophe if they went that route imo.

What is this hogwash? Android is in no way being overrun by viruses and malware. You don't need any antivirus apps on Android lol... only attacks I have really heard of are browser related and are directly affecting the same mindless sheep that are still affected by PC viruses even with antivirus software installed.

they will probably want something that can use GoogleTV to combat the xboxTV thing that MS has. You wouldn't necessarily need android to do this however. Also, disagree with Reasonable, the small size of android matters little when the console has over 300 gigs of memory. The apps market would be useless for a console, etc.
Sony is going to stay away from android

just no

I can't believe people are really considering this... If it were to happen, we'd already know due to the PS Vita. It's not happening. That partnership was for phones (Xperia Play says hello).

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

making an OS is difficult for sony?

just because some people dislike the OS on the sony consoles doesn't mean thats the case, its only a matter of opinion

the xmb won awards for its design when it was introduced on the ps3

lol... no.. besides the fact that we wouldn't need someone like Geohot to hack it and any 13 year old can pirate their ps4 games.. Android is a patent and license mess..

Google was nice enough to steal and use software from other companies, incorparted stuff like media codecs without licensing and made it the producers of android products problem..

HTC is paying 5 dollars each phone they sell with android to Microsoft.. Samsung pays Microsoft a sum for using Android.. Microsoft alone would make more money on it then Sony, not to mention all the lawsuits regarding Android still coming..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Yes. Vita is in Android and so will PS4. I'm still hoping PS3 gets updated with the Android browser or Chrome.

NiKKoM said:
lol... no.. besides the fact that we wouldn't need someone like Geohot to hack it and any 13 year old can pirate their ps4 games.. Android is a patent and license mess..

Google was nice enough to steal and use software from other companies, incorparted stuff like media codecs without licensing and made it the producers of android products problem..

HTC is paying 5 dollars each phone they sell with android to Microsoft.. Samsung pays Microsoft a sum for using Android.. Microsoft alone would make more money on it then Sony, not to mention all the lawsuits regarding Android still coming..

You know nothing behind the licensing.

All those companies pay $0 to Google. THey pay very little to MS for absolutely ridiculas basic OS operations. Same reasons Linux distributers have deals with MS.

Even when you include the small fee per device these companies are paying MS, its still FAR smaller than they would pay MS for WM as well as has far higher returns in application support and future compatibility.

Sony using Android in Vita, Sony creating the Playstation Suite in Android, Sony buying out Ericcson and focusing 100% of their phones in Android, Sony focusing on Google TV in all their blurays and TVs, etc... is all that is needed to have nearly 100% proof PS4 will have an Android backbone.

Dgc1808 said:
The Vita says no...

Vita is Android. :/