By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 running on Android?

Will Ps4 run on android?

Yes, and it will own! 38 22.09%

Yes 11 6.40%

I don't bother as long as the OS is good 34 19.77%

I don't care 18 10.47%

No 33 19.19%

Hell no! 38 22.09%

Total:172

I find more likely Android to attack Windows near-monopoly on desktop and portable PCs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:

I'd like to see what you've been reading because as far as I'm aware, Nikkom has it right when it comes to PS Vita's OS.

Sony hasn't stated it as so.... however, its not hard to tell.

1) Sony has been utilizing Android for phones, TVs, and bluray players for awhile now.
2) Sony has invested a lot in its Playstation/Android unification with Playstation Suite.
3) Watch the videos on Vita... it has the same top bar, icons, etc.
4) Android gives Sony a ton of built in functionality like Wireless connectivity, multitasking, application store integration, controls (virtual and hardware), camera controls, various sensor controls, various radios, and most importantly, integration with all of their other products so they can have a large ecosystem similar to what MS is doing with Live.

Sony has simply taken Android as a base (specifically Android 2.3). It has then added SDKs for its Playstation game functionality and a massive overhaul of UI and widgets. They have done the same thing Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon have done with their eReaders... only much further in that Sony (for obvious security concerns on their content) has only used Android as a base platform vs a primary driver.

It IS Android with a heavy set of Sony modifications and enhancements. It just came out in one region. In a few months as its has released worldwide, we'll see Android confirmed by hackers and developers alike.

I cant decide but i wouldnt bet on it

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

I think MS is going for cross hardware integration big time already. You can see it in some MS ads already. The ones I've seen are advertising W7 PC, but they have their MP7 and X360 shown and being used in the ads. I think if Sony sees MS as it's main rival in the console market then they need to be into the cross hardware integration as much as MS. That means integrating PS4, PSV, phones and tablets. PS suite for Sony phones and tablets, but there also needs to be integration with all Android phones and tablets. Sony will kill themselves if they try to shut out other phone manufacturers.

I'm not sure if Android will be the basis for the PS4 OS. But I think there will be something to make PS4 integrate with android devices. Sony knows now it can't allow Android device integration to be a piracy back door, and they know the risk because of the PS3 experience. But I think they'd be foolish to not work hard at achieving some kind of hardware integration.

If you could store and use Android APPs on PS4 that would be useful and a positive selling point to all those millions of Android phone owners. But only if they do it right. If they do it wrong and keep it all as exclusive to Sony devices then that would actually make W8 / WP8 and nextbox integration a very attractive and unique proposition

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

If so then that would be very good for Microsoft. Many Android phone manufacturers have to pay Microsoft a license fee to use Android so they can avoid being sued. I'd imagine it would be the same if the PS4 used Android.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/275123,microsoft-nabs-samsung-android-royalties.aspx

Microsoft apparently makes more money from Android licensing fees than it does by selling it's own WP7!

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

Given the Vita doesn't, I doubt it. I think Vita's OS will more or less be what's in the PS4, much like PSP presaged what the PS3's OS would be like.

The proof I need has begun.....

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=138425