By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 running on Android?

Will Ps4 run on android?

Yes, and it will own! 38 22.09%

Yes 11 6.40%

I don't bother as long as the OS is good 34 19.77%

I don't care 18 10.47%

No 33 19.19%

Hell no! 38 22.09%

Total:172

Sony's recent partnerships with google ( xperia play, android phones, playstation suite) got me thinking about something. Sony is a hardware company, not a software company. So making an OS is difficult for them. Wouldn't it be better if their next OS was built by a company with experience, a big name like android? Personally I think there's a slim chance ps4 wil run on android.

Do you think sony will make this move?

Around the Network

They might I guess. I thought the PS3 OS was too fat for what it did and I think it's proven a bit of a drag on the console in some areas - if Google can deliver something better with a smaller footprint then I could see them going for it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Yea, maybe Google can do something "special" to Sony on PS4. I dont think the Sony OS is bad, but i think that something better and new, with more features, etc can be made by Google. But its hard to say, cuz with a non-sony OS, hacks can be easier do be made.

(sorry for my crap english lol)

Reasonable said:
They might I guess. I thought the PS3 OS was too fat for what it did and I think it's proven a bit of a drag on the console in some areas - if Google can deliver something better with a smaller footprint then I could see them going for it.

I think the same thing, the current OS isn't that good on certain aspects. So they have 3 options; google, apple and microsoft. They already have products with android on and a partnership with the other two seems a bit unlogical.

Android is becoming synonymous with viruses and malware. With all the security holes Android has it would be a major catastrophe if they went that route imo.

Around the Network
maximrace said:
Reasonable said:

I think the same thing, the current OS isn't that good on certain aspects. So they have 3 options; google, apple and microsoft. They already have products with android on and a partnership with the other two seems a bit unlogical.

If they were willing to have a Microsoft OS the results could be interesting.  So far as I know MS only released the original Xbox because they couldn't get their OS and standards (such as DirextX) on consoles.  If that was to change would MS really want to produce a console of their own?  It's Live and the OS MS really care about IMHO - not the hardware.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

doubt it.
How are they going to give you weekly firmware update if they don't make their own?

The Vita says no...

4 ≈ One

Reasonable said:
maximrace said:
Reasonable said:

If they were willing to have a Microsoft OS the results could be interesting.  So far as I know MS only released the original Xbox because they couldn't get their OS and standards (such as DirextX) on consoles.  If that was to change would MS really want to produce a console of their own?  It's Live and the OS MS really care about IMHO - not the hardware.

I don't think so, sony wouldn't want live on their console. But if it should happen it would be more like sony makes the hardware and microsoft does the OS and online services.

Doubt it to be honest, Sony would be best to have/keep a team for it, to do it all inhouse.