By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sells LCD venture.

Wow nice find kowen, i hope this spells a bit of good news for sony.

Around the Network

So Sony part owned LCD technology and they somehow got no royalties? And aside from R & D savings, how will this help Sony in the long run?

kowenicki said:
Acevil said:
Galaki said:
So, business is so bad that they have to slim down is good news?
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

It is good news in the sense, the company can become profitable. Remember this is from a companies stand point, if something isn't proving results, sometimes you have to accept it, and get rid of it. 

become profitable or just stop making losses in a market that they just decide to exit....

there is a big diference.

Well it was draining the company chance of becoming profitable. I'm trying to say in general this seems to be good news, but yes it can be bad news as well.

However ya, in the future it remains to be seen what will happen to the whole section. Honestly I didn't know about the Television section being this bad until last year. For the longest time, I thought that was the strongest, guess I was stuck in the 90s. 

Smart move, it seemed like they were gonna pull out at the rate it was going.

Doing this allows them to still be in the TV market and they don't seem like failures.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Galaki said:
So, business is so bad that they have to slim down is good news?
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

SONY is great electronics hardware developer but in last 20-30 years they have just tried to eat alot.

For example APPLE make great products,then gives it to somebody else to produce and sells it for good profit.It focuses on profit and then improves their products from that profit and as their products are so good,the awreness itself spreads and growth happens.

Apple only invests in product development not manufacturing so they don't have to pay those factory and other costs.

But SONY started doing everything themselves.Making electronics tech and Content is another thing but when you don't improve on it and only try to spread it then the structure collapses

But when companies focus on growth,it loses respect for its products and thinks as market is so big,business will go as usual.But market is limited as consumers are limited and the day that point is reached,its over.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Galaki said:
kowenicki said:

Surprised this hasnt been posted, this is quie a big deal.

It's not posted because people'd get yelled at for posting negative Sony news.

With shares going up and losing one part that is responsible for quite some losses I would rather call this positve news if anything.

bitter-sweet

they have taken a big loss as a one off to facilitate this and if it doesnt work then its the end of sony tv's i think.

I'm struggling to figure out what you're calling the loss here.

Is it the sellback price falling short of the original investment?

Also, it looks like it says LCDs. Why are you saying they'd pull out of the tv business altogether?

Sony's TV's are great, they just don't have models for smaller pockets. The cheapest I could find is 500 bucks. In Euro, not to forget.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

kowenicki said:
darkknightkryta said:
So Sony part owned LCD technology and they somehow got no royalties? And aside from R & D savings, how will this help Sony in the long run?

They didnt part own LCD technology, they owned a joint company with Samsung that made LCD panels...

Now they will have to buy in panels for all of their TV's.  So no stock or maufacturing subsidy/variables, but they arent the masters of their own destiny if suppliers play hard ball over prices.

they can't play hard ball as fair-trade laws apply

and this venture was just producing close to 1-2million panels where both SONY and SAMSUNG sell over 100million panels every year across phones,TVs,cameras,PSP,tablets,monitors,etc

also they will not buy all their panels as they still have a venture with sharp

"We fear doing too little when we should do more. Then atone by doing too much, when perhaps we should do less."

Sony needs to cut its losses on some of its ventures. This is a step in the right direction.

There is more than just lcd. There is lcd led oled plasma and more kinds on the way, not to mention projectors, rear projection, tube, etc

Don't understand why you'd say this is the end and they'd have to buy all their screens from samsung. Does Sony ONLY manufacture LCD screens already?