By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam Sale! Last day all the biggest sellers back on sale + chance to win EVERY GAME ON STEAM!!!!

zarx said:
TWRoO said:

Oh, so I probably should have started playing HL:Source then, damn... I'm already a few hours into HL, not gonna start again.

So from what I understand of it.
Half-Life is the first game, which is extended with a couple of extra parts (Blue Shift and Opposing Force)
Half-Life 2 is the second game, which has 3 extra parts (Episode 1, Episode 2 and Lost Coast)

Then there is Half-Life: Source which is just an upgraded version of the original game (Is the Source engine the one they used in HL2? also does this version have Blue Shift and Opposing Force added into it as well, or is it just the original?)

And I also got Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, which will be the multiplayer portion of the original game (I didn't get a non-source version... was there not a MP part originally? or did they just not bother putting it in the pack?)
And Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, the MP part of HL2.

----------

I still have a couple of questions though:
1. Which if the extra episodes for Half Life is meant to come first? (BS or OF)
2. Just read someone mentioned HL2: Ep 3 isn't released, or may even just end up being HL3... in which case what is Half-Life 2: Lost Coast?
3. As asked above, are Blue Shift and Opposing Force added into Half-Life: Source? because if they are then I might stop my playthrough of Half-Life and just do Half-Life: Source.

(Oh, also got Team Fortress Classic in the pack, but I don't have any questions about that, unless I am missing something and TF is related to HL)

Opposing Force first then Blue Shift, but they weren't made by valve (Gearbox) so you could probably ignore them.

Lost coast is a tech demo for the source engine which was cut from HL2

As far as I know Source is just the vinila game

There is also a mod project for HL2 that aims to fully recreate the first game with brand new assets, but who knows when that will be released

Thanks. I figured out what Lost Coast was after my post.

I also looked up Blue Shift and Opposing Force, I liked the idea of seeing the story from 2 other perspectives, so unless they made a total hash of them (which given they presumably used much of the same stuff from the main game and didn't have to make up the entire story I don't see how they could) I think I will enjoy them.

I thought I would enjoy it more than I am so far though... I haven't played many PC FPS, in fact I mentioned earlier in the thread I didn't have a mouse until now... so I hadn't had a chance to experience Deus Ex, Team Fortress or Half life properly even though I bought the first two months ago. Playing with a touch pad makes it much more methodical and slow of course.... now I have a mouse the aiming feels fantastic naturally.. but it has made me realise how annoying and clunky trying to do everything else on a keyboard is.... especially for Half-Life which has a number of platforming elements. Trying to do accurate jumps is annoyingly difficult, and doing the long jump is (walk forwards then tap crouch then jump) is ridiculous for one hand on the default keyboard set-up. (I had to map the 'e' key for jump and 'q' key for duck so I could have them near the 'w' key, but it's still difficult)

Around the Network

I have 2 guest pass for Killing Floor. Who wants one of them?

pezus said:
alfredofroylan said:
I have 2 guest pass for Killing Floor. Who wants one of them?

What's a guest pass? I could trade Silent Hill for it

Basically is a timed offer. You can play the game for a limited time and after that you can buy it or delete it. I'm not looking for trades because these things are not a good deal for trading I just want to give them away.

pezus said:
alfredofroylan said:

Basically is a timed offer. You can play the game for a limited time and after that you can buy it or delete it. I'm not looking for trades because these things are not a good deal for trading I just want to give them away.

Interesting.

Plus silent hill is a good more expensive.

Heck, I didn't offer you Zeno Clash for the same reason.

Killing Floor is a sweet game though.

I've got 168 hours logged on it.

It's a really fun "wave based" shooter where you level up 7 classes.  (Though this takes a looong time.  I don't have one class maxxed out yet, though to be fair I play them all pretty evenly, outside pyro.)

Around the Network

Just bought Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic for $2.49. I hope it will work with my Xbox 360 controller.

pezus said:
Kasz216 said:
pezus said:
alfredofroylan said:

Interesting.

Plus silent hill is a good more expensive.

Heck, I didn't offer you Zeno Clash for the same reason.

Killing Floor is a sweet game though.

I've got 168 hours logged on it.

It's a really fun "wave based" shooter where you level up 7 classes.  (Though this takes a looong time.  I don't have one class maxxed out yet, though to be fair I play them all pretty evenly, outside pyro.)

So it's nothing like L4D?

You kill Zombies, and the zombies spawn randomly kinda like L4D.  Plus some of the guns have flashlights!

Oddly I have more fun in KF then I do L4D.  Probably because poor teammates don't sink you as badly

NOOOOOO Why did I just find out about this today! I don't want to know what I've missed out on already.

These deals are amazing! Dead Space 2, Assassins Creed I & II for $5 each. Oh man I really want Dead Space 2. The only games I have on steam are free (Portal and Team Fortress 2) but these deals are awesome. I didn't realize steam went balls out like this.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Just won The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which I already own, if anybody wants to trade something for it message me. Traded it.

I have resisted so far, bought only Limbo (and it's a nice short game, quite enjoyable), but now - Civ V AND Deus Ex:HR are on sale...my wallet is crying and I must decide...but it is so hard...gotta sleep on this one