By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita freezes, touch screen problems reported, YouTube videos show system lock-ups non-responsive touch controls

Euphoria14 said:
d21lewis said:
Same as the old PSP with reports of dead pixels, analog issues, and the Square button sticking. It's to be expected with a console launch and is another reason why many people wait before buying a new console. Since the arrival of the disc based systems, I can remember:

360: RRoD, System overheating, adapter actually burning
PS3: YLoD, Bricking, HDD issues
PSP: Dead Pixels, bricking after updates, square button sticking
3DS: Top screen scratching, loose hinges
DS Lite: Hinge cracking
DS: Hinge breaking
PS2: Disc Read Error, couldn't read many DVD's
PS1: Spindel would fall off, weak motor for spinning discs
Xbox: Would brick, HDD issues
GBA: Would get drunk and gamble away its paycheck
Dreamcast: Liked to hide in the closet and watch his wife have sex with other men

So the PSV having problems is no big deal. It's just the way things are. Cars, TV's, Phones, Computers, Clothes, --you name it and there's some percentage of defects.

While it is no longer an issue, when the Wii was first released Nintendo made a mistake that caused the GPU to fry. I know this because it happened to mine and they told me what the cause was.

When the Wii was in standby mode the fan does not run. Normally this would not become an issue, however, if you had WiiConnect24 enabled and your Wii was sitting in standby the system would heat up from the use of the WiFi and it fried the GPU.

I think it was fixed in a firmware update, but I am not sure when the update came that fixed it.

the update was there within hours of launch

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Euphoria14 said:
d21lewis said:
Same as the old PSP with reports of dead pixels, analog issues, and the Square button sticking. It's to be expected with a console launch and is another reason why many people wait before buying a new console. Since the arrival of the disc based systems, I can remember:

Dreamcast: Liked to hide in the closet and watch his wife have sex with other men

So the PSV having problems is no big deal. It's just the way things are. Cars, TV's, Phones, Computers, Clothes, --you name it and there's some percentage of defects.

While it is no longer an issue, when the Wii was first released Nintendo made a mistake that caused the GPU to fry. I know this because it happened to mine and they told me what the cause was.

When the Wii was in standby mode the fan does not run. Normally this would not become an issue, however, if you had WiiConnect24 enabled and your Wii was sitting in standby the system would heat up from the use of the WiFi and it fried the GPU.

I think it was fixed in a firmware update, but I am not sure when the update came that fixed it.

Then it was not that update because my GPU friend sometime between March and November 2007. I know this because I had my PS3 for a few months before the Wii GPU would barely display anything and my Wii was still under warranty. I bought the Wii on Black Friday 2006.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Euphoria14 said:
d21lewis said:

Then it was not that update because my GPU friend sometime between March and November 2007. I know this because I had my PS3 for a few months before the Wii GPU would barely display anything and my Wii was still under warranty. I bought the Wii on Black Friday 2006.

Had you connected your Wii online so it could actually get the update?

I didn't actually know about any SW update, I thought it had been a hardware problem, then again I had no experience if it as it was definately limited to launch window consoles (like December and earlier) and I bought mine in February 2007.

Whatever the failure rate of those early models though, the Wii is still easily the most reliable of the current three (of course Nintendo chose to advance chips in terms of size and power consumption rather than cutting edge graphical specs, and the Wii doesn't have a HDD... Less power means less heat, add that to fewer moving parts and it should have the lowest failure rate) It's probably more reliable than the original Xbox too, despite the difference in mass production numbers.

As mentioned earlier though, the GameCube is king of disc based reliability. as far as I know the only common problem it had was that after a few years, if it had some extended play periods under it's belt the lens over the laser could warp and cause the occasional disc-read error. I got a couple of DRE's late in my GC's life (2006... bought in 2002).

people always seem to forget PS2 for errors, I reckon for the PS2s bought between launch and it's 2nd Christmas (or thereabouts) the failure rate is probably close to the X360s of the same period from launch. Although admitedly those PS2s have had an additional 5 years to fail in, and come 5 years from now a working (non-repaired) launch X360 will be an incredibly rare thing.

While it doesn't exceed the record of 30% of failure... that's not a big deal.

TWRoO said:

Euphoria14 said:

Had you connected your Wii online so it could actually get the update?

I didn't actually know about any SW update, I thought it had been a hardware problem, then again I had no experience if it as it was definately limited to launch window consoles (like December and earlier) and I bought mine in February 2007.

Whatever the failure rate of those early models though, the Wii is still easily the most reliable of the current three (of course Nintendo chose to advance chips in terms of size and power consumption rather than cutting edge graphical specs, and the Wii doesn't have a HDD... Less power means less heat, add that to fewer moving parts and it should have the lowest failure rate) It's probably more reliable than the original Xbox too, despite the difference in mass production numbers.

As mentioned earlier though, the GameCube is king of disc based reliability. as far as I know the only common problem it had was that after a few years, if it had some extended play periods under it's belt the lens over the laser could warp and cause the occasional disc-read error. I got a couple of DRE's late in my GC's life (2006... bought in 2002).

people always seem to forget PS2 for errors, I reckon for the PS2s bought between launch and it's 2nd Christmas (or thereabouts) the failure rate is probably close to the X360s of the same period from launch. Although admitedly those PS2s have had an additional 5 years to fail in, and come 5 years from now a working (non-repaired) launch X360 will be an incredibly rare thing.

My Wii was connected to my WiFi from the day I first got it, hence the reason I used WiiConnect24.

As for your second sentence, maybe it was fixed in a hardware upgrade, I have no idea. 

As for the rest of your post, I absolutely agree with you.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
fmjasinski said:
spurgeonryan said:

Nintendo is the only one with a seal of quality. There`s no competition in this sector, the Nintendo home consoles are  indestructible.

Gamecube was the ultimate in this regard (vid in Spanish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRJtqPRZhQ

It's broken in half and still turns on!

Um.. was that faked? The Gamecube startup screen was different from that. The symbol didn't fade in like that when you turned the system on. It started getting formed by an unfolding cube.

Unless spanish Gamecubes were different from USA ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYQ08gxkqA

wfz said:
Scoobes said:
fmjasinski said:
spurgeonryan said:

Nintendo is the only one with a seal of quality. There`s no competition in this sector, the Nintendo home consoles are  indestructible.

Gamecube was the ultimate in this regard (vid in Spanish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRJtqPRZhQ

It's broken in half and still turns on!

Um.. was that faked? The Gamecube startup screen was different from that. The symbol didn't fade in like that when you turned the system on. It started getting formed by an unfolding cube.

Unless spanish Gamecubes were different from USA ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYQ08gxkqA

Err... the unfolding cube is exactly what I saw in the first video (little cube drops in from the top and traces out the 3D 'G' of the GameCube symbol)... which bit did you see something different?

As for your video: HOLY CRAP! I didn't know it did different sounds if you hold Z. I wonder if it works on the Wii GC mode.

EDIT: wait I watched it again, I presume you mean the last one, if you notice the cube starts turning transparent and spinning around, which is what it does if you start up without a game in it (or if you hold start [or is it A] when turning on, but in that case it skips the unfolding cube bit) As such either they didn't turn the TV on fast enough, or there was some kind of issue which meant the GC was at least damaged and decided to go to the setup screen itself.

Why instead of making a youtube video and try to badmouth the Vita the guy didnt simply exzchanged his faulty handheld for a new working one? If this problem is happening to something like 30% f the Vitas them itd be an issue (or not as theres a certain box that used to red ring like mad when it launched it aparently that was ok) but if its someting like 1-5% tham its prety much expected.

DakonBlackblade said:
Why instead of making a youtube video and try to badmouth the Vita the guy didnt simply exzchanged his faulty handheld for a new working one? If this problem is happening to something like 30% f the Vitas them itd be an issue (or not as theres a certain box that used to red ring like mad when it launched it aparently that was ok) but if its someting like 1-5% tham its prety much expected.

It's more fun this way.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

You do realize it is the biggest anti Sony troll that blows things outta proportion here right? It's Nsanity! Nothing to see here. I didn't see Nsanity post on the RROD problems M$ had with both Jasper and Falcon chips. Your fanboyism and anti-Sony tirade is getting a bit old. Get a fu...ing life and for once stop being such a f.....ing fanboy.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.