By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sherlock Holmes 2 was Great!

Tagged games:

I've been a huge holmes fan since youth (my parents even bought me some verified 1st editions through the years) &just adore arthur conan doyles writing style, Expected to hate the first movie but loved it (and I generally dislike most movies (of all types) in general, so thats VERY odd for me)

Really looking forward to the new S.H one though, sadly its not out here till Jan 5th, My expectations are now even higher though (they were already very high because of the 1st one and i hear its based on 'the final probblem' story which is one of my favourites)

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

Around the Network
Rath said:
AceOfCakez said:

As a person who has read every single novel and short story of Sherlock Holmes... My question is... How faithful are the movies to the short stories/novels?

Not in the slightest bit.

@aceofcakez: Coming from the same background as you in relation to this and having holmes as one of my all time favourites, I can say this, The first holmes movie story is actually completely made up by the director (with input from the cast) so while its not faithful to any one holmes story it does very tastefully keep in character, and includes aspects of about 15 of the short stories (If you have read them all you will notice them I'm sure) including a lot of direct quotes & lines from those stories. There is a socirty of old hardcore english boffins who call themselves 'the sherlockians' who are the most intense holmes fans ever...seriously. Guy Ritchie ran a draft copy of the movie past them pre relesae to make sure it was in character and they passed it, so that says a lot. While it focuses much more on the action sequences the books brush over lightly, everything holmes does in the movie relates to his abilities in the books. But the story is not based on any one of the Holmes novels so it reallly has very little to be faithful too. I thought I would hate it but IMO its probably the best 'in character' modernisation of anything I've seen. Really expected to hate the film and almost didnt see the movie after seeing the 'action' in the trailer but very glad I did end up seeing it after all.

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

I know, was really sad when season two was delayed to 2012, but there's only a few days left for it to start!
Can't wait :)

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Just saw it and liked it. Its pretty much the same movie as MI4 at the core, but a lot less serious and more fun to watch. Cool camera tricks too... Plus having Robert Downy doesn't hurt. You can put Robert Downy in a movie where he sits on a toilet for an hour and a half and it wouldn't be boring.

spurgeonryan said:
oldschoolfool said:
did'nt really care for the first one,I'll wait until this one comes out on dvd to watch it.

This has more action so if that was what was missing for you in the first one you will like this more. If that was not what was missing for you then you may like this less, although I really think Sherlock had a hard time this go around.

yeah,I thought the first one was okay in parts,but it was kind of slow for me. I'll give the second one a go on dvd,as I usually watch just about every movie that comes out on dvd eventually. lol