By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sherlock Holmes 2 was Great!

Tagged games:

So you would say it's as good as the first Sherlock Holmes?



Around the Network

4 movies to watch in next two weeks time.

1. Sherlock Holmes - reviews are not as good as the first but still gotta see it.
2. Mission Impossible - A lot of action and heard there was a good chicks fight.
3. A girl with a dragon tattoo - Read the books, saw the films, hope this one will be as good.
4. War horse - Spielberg movie, and my wife loves horses so we see almost every horse movies - looks very moving



As a person who has read every single novel and short story of Sherlock Holmes... My question is... How faithful are the movies to the short stories/novels?



AceOfCakez said:

As a person who has read every single novel and short story of Sherlock Holmes... My question is... How faithful are the movies to the short stories/novels?


I have only read The Hound of the Baskervilles, but I would have to say not much. They did hollywood it up quite a bit!

 

As far as story arch, they could have borrowed from the books, I am just not sure...



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I very much enjoyed the first one, I've actually boycotted cinema for about 9 months now - not sure if intentionally or not, but they've just been generally releasing shit every time I went.



Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
NotStan said:
I very much enjoyed the first one, I've actually boycotted cinema for about 9 months now - not sure if intentionally or not, but they've just been generally releasing shit every time I went.

Not much to see this year.

One of the worst ticket sales ever.

Next year looks a lot more promising.  



AceOfCakez said:

As a person who has read every single novel and short story of Sherlock Holmes... My question is... How faithful are the movies to the short stories/novels?


Not in the slightest bit.



I've been a huge holmes fan since youth (my parents even bought me some verified 1st editions through the years) &just adore arthur conan doyles writing style, Expected to hate the first movie but loved it (and I generally dislike most movies (of all types) in general, so thats VERY odd for me)

Really looking forward to the new S.H one though, sadly its not out here till Jan 5th, My expectations are now even higher though (they were already very high because of the 1st one and i hear its based on 'the final probblem' story which is one of my favourites)



PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

2000cc said:
I've been a huge holmes fan since youth (my parents even bought me some verified 1st editions through the years) &just adore arthur conan doyles writing style, Expected to hate the first movie but loved it (and I generally dislike most movies (of all types) in general, so thats VERY odd for me)

Really looking forward to the new S.H one though, sadly its not out here till Jan 5th, My expectations are now even higher though (they were already very high because of the 1st one and i hear its based on 'the final probblem' story which is one of my favourites)


i cannot give this movie enough praise! I think the trailer kind of underwhelmed me, so when the movie was really good i was sucker punched with joy!  it has been hit by Hollywood, so no one should expect anyone being serious and to the point in it.

As for the plot I never read the book or any spoilers so that was something else that surprised me happily!



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Rath said:
AceOfCakez said:

As a person who has read every single novel and short story of Sherlock Holmes... My question is... How faithful are the movies to the short stories/novels?


Not in the slightest bit.

@aceofcakez: Coming from the same background as you in relation to this and having holmes as one of my all time favourites, I can say this, The first holmes movie story is actually completely made up by the director (with input from the cast) so while its not faithful to any one holmes story it does very tastefully keep in character, and includes aspects of about 15 of the short stories (If you have read them all you will notice them I'm sure) including a lot of direct quotes & lines from those stories. There is a socirty of old hardcore english boffins who call themselves 'the sherlockians' who are the most intense holmes fans ever...seriously. Guy Ritchie ran a draft copy of the movie past them pre relesae to make sure it was in character and they passed it, so that says a lot. While it focuses much more on the action sequences the books brush over lightly, everything holmes does in the movie relates to his abilities in the books. But the story is not based on any one of the Holmes novels so it reallly has very little to be faithful too. I thought I would hate it but IMO its probably the best 'in character' modernisation of anything I've seen. Really expected to hate the film and almost didnt see the movie after seeing the 'action' in the trailer but very glad I did end up seeing it after all.



PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)