By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Virtual Console inspire Nintendo tin making new games!

The virtual console is a great way for Nintendo to bring in additional profit without developing any new material. It allows Nintendo to fight piracy by offering the same content at a cost effective price which can persuade many to legally download there games.

In the end virtual console is doing amazing things for Nintendo. But could the Virtual Console lead to even greater things for gamers. I mean sales of older games could inspire Nintendo to develope newer versions or sequals to these old games. When Nintendo sees the old game still sells extremely well they might be inspired to bring the game franchise back. My prime examples below!

Donkey Kong - during the GameCube era Nintendo produced multiple unsuccesful Donkey Kong games. These Bongo based games all crashed and burned and Donkey Kongs first appearance on Wii was a dismal failure. Many have said Donkey Kong is over and Nintendo themselves have cut back, it would appear that the Donkey Kong franchise has out lived its usefulness. But the Virtual Console is proving otherwise showing Nintendo that Donkey Kong as a franchise is as popular as ever, its just that Nintendo themselves are screwing up. This could inspire Nintendo to go back and return to its more traditional approach maybe ditch the unique new features and concentrate on classic gameplay. All three DKC games are now availible on VC once DK64 is released pretty much every DK game will be succesfully selling on VC. Lets hope this inspires Nintendo to make a more classic Donkey Kong game. 

Pokemon Snap -, unlike Hudson's other Nintendo spinoff series (MarioParty) the Pokemon Snap series was short lived with only a single game. However if Pokemon Snap sells very well on the Virtual Console it could inspire Hudson to take up the franchise and create a new Pokemon Snap.

Ports to North America. Games like EarthBound were traditionally weak in North America. Nintendo chose not to port EarthBound Zero or EarthBound Mother 3. However if EarthBound sells extremely well on Virtual Console it could inspire Nintendo to port EarthBound Zero to VC and maybe in the future EarthBound Mother 3 in some way.

So could the Virtual Console actually help bring us some of our favorite franchises? Could they inspire Nintendo to change the way it does things and give us the games we want? 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

donkey kong country galaxy confirmed?

RolStoppable said:
WiiWare.

Well said Rol.

Joelcool7 said:

Donkey Kong - during the GameCube era Nintendo produced multiple unsuccesful Donkey Kong games. These Bongo based games all crashed and burned and Donkey Kongs first appearance on Wii was a dismal failure. Many have said Donkey Kong is over and Nintendo themselves have cut back, it would appear that the Donkey Kong franchise has out lived its usefulness. But the Virtual Console is proving otherwise showing Nintendo that Donkey Kong as a franchise is as popular as ever, its just that Nintendo themselves are screwing up. This could inspire Nintendo to go back and return to its more traditional approach maybe ditch the unique new features and concentrate on classic gameplay. All three DKC games are now availible on VC once DK64 is released pretty much every DK game will be succesfully selling on VC. Lets hope this inspires Nintendo to make a more classic Donkey Kong game.

You're crazy and/or never have played a Donkey Kong based game on GameCube? The rythm games are the funniest EVER of their genre (Guiter Hero included) and Jungle Beat is an AWESOME platformer...

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

RolStoppable said:
WiiWare.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network
Daileon said:
Joelcool7 said:

You're crazy and/or never have played a Donkey Kong based game on GameCube? The rythm games are the funniest EVER of their genre (Guiter Hero included) and Jungle Beat is an AWESOME platformer...

I own all three of them. I loved the Konga series, and while your right JB could have been a great platformer instead it was linear and repetitive. The Bongo's made gameplay more difficult and annoying. I beat the game in one day and to be honest rematching the same boss three times in different enviroments isn't all that fun.

I think the sales speak for themselves regardless of my opinion or yours. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat only sold what 32,000 units launch month. Thats horrible it should have sold far stronger. Donkey Kong Jet on Wii also sold horribly the reason is Nintendo's innovative approach isn't appealing to the existing fanbase.

Rather then buying the new fangled innovative DK games, the DK fanbase wants the old style Donkey Kong back. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat could have been that game had Nintendo put more effort into the game financially and time wise. Instead Nintendo put a rookie internal team on it and gave them less then a year to complete its development. Instead of using the GameCube controller Nintendo decided to be innovative and use the Bongo's!

JB could have been great with different bosses, more levels and possibly even the smallest plot. The gameplay was there but Nintendo really screwed up the execution!

-JC7

Almost all and every platformer is linear, while I disagree with the "repetitive" part. The Bongo was what makes it unique in the genre, it wasn't annoying. Tiring possibly, but funniest 'til it doubles the size of your arms.

I don't get the point you're saying... If the gameplay was annoying, how could you beat the game in one day?? I took a lot longer, I just don't remember how many days, but have fun all the time getting even the damn platinum crests! I mean, the great fun of the game is to get them, getting larger combos, as 17 and above on every stage... You saying that has beat the game in one day only because you play all the stages looks like someone booing the rhytm games just because have played one music once. Talk about superation and better scores.

The only repetitive part is the meeting with the bosses, I agree with you in this point. But this is only a VERY minor part inside a game.

But I agree with you about DK Jet. Damn, that game screams for Bongos... It could have been VERY VERY better...

PS.: According to this site, DK JB has sold 820k on JAP + USA only... To an unique game it isn't bad, no way... (Looking at Z&W). And talking about Nintendo putting a rookie team on the game, damn, Mr. Miyamoto was the "general producer"!

But hey, do you have the right to have your opinion, but the critics agree with me... :)

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

RolStoppable said:
WiiWare.

I was gonna say that too...

I doubt this has been mentioned....but....

>_>

<_<

Wii Ware!!!!!

<_<

>_< 

I like Bacon said:

I doubt this has been mentioned....but....

>_>

<_<

Wii Ware!!!!!

<_<

>_<

I don't really think WiiWare was in any way inspired by Virtual Console, It was created from the get go with downloadable classics.

The competition already was creating origional downloadable content and I dont think Nintendo was about to be left in the dust.

That being said maybe Nintendo will make a new Donkey Kong title in WiiWare maybe a Donkey Kong Country 4. Because of all the success of the other three Donkey Kong Country games are having on VC.

-JC7