By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is investing in their first party studios like never before.

Bristow9091 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Bristow9091 said:
Basically, you named shovelware, unannounced games, and Halo 4 in that... there's nothing great about anything you've put there so far, you've even listed dev teams that haven't even STARTED making a game yet...

Sorry if I sound like a troll or anything, since I'm really not trying to be, but in my opinion, Microsoft have the worst first party, it's always been like that for me, infact, the only half decent franchise they own is Halo, and I don't even think it's as special as people make out, I mean, sure the multiplayer is fun, but the story isn't anything revolutionary, and for some reason the lack of iron sights bugs me on those games... (But damn if Grifball isn't fun on Reach!)

Well you failed at not trying to sound like a troll. As the title of the thread clearly says that MS is investing in there first party devs like they never have before. So you make yourseldf look stupid with you comment.

Not as stupid as your spelling and grammar ;)

But seriously, I wasn't trying to sound like a troll, and I haven't made myself look stupid, since I'm not trying to force my opinion onto anyone, just because it varies from yours doesn't mean I'm stupid... why don't people get that? So many people on these forums are pretty ignorant and don't understand the difference between a fact and opinion or something...

Saw that spelling and grammar comment coming a mile away. Anyway i was typing kind of quick so no time to read over my post and check fro grammar errors. What ever helps you sleep at night is fine by me. 

Around the Network
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:
investments are always positive but MS's history is not helping. No more Bungie, Fucking up Rare, Closing Ensemble, losing the partnership with bioware and Team Ninja. This generation started good but ends like an dissapointment, not only in the amount of exclusives but also in the quality of the exclusives except turn ten;..but they are cursed and have problems selling their game.

Bungie left, but a lot of the halo team stayed, so no harm. Rare makes more money now than they did before kinect. Ensamble was a money pit, A 200 man studio that made only rts games and all of their other stuff got canned. Bioware was not worth buying with pandemic, EA paid almost 1 billion for them and they still have yet to recoup their costs. Team Ninja Imploded, that has nothing to do with MS. How is turn 10 having trouble selling their games? They constantly sell 4.5 million copies of their game. Forza 4 came out against way more blockbusters than Forza 3 did and still managed to sell 1 million in about a month and a half.

Frank O'Connor, Chad Armstrong, Vic de Leon are the only ones from Bungie,  you also had nathan walpole but he is gone...So 3 = a lot?

Why should I care about Rare making money?  They did not made money when they made all those awesome N64 games?  Again don't care that Ensamble lost money and Halo wars didn't do that bad.  For a gaming perspective Bioware was worth buying for me, Team Ninja should have been bought considering DOA/ninja gaiden were strong IP's...   And turn ten sell mostly of their games with bundles even now Forza 3 is bundled in Europe.  Without bundles their games sell 1-2 million not that great especially not with all those great reviews and hype..

There are over 200 people @ 343, 6 of the 40+ 343 members who worked on halo cea are from bungie, there are 160 more 343 employees, some of them are from bungie.

Names?  It is an popular subject on the Bungie forums and I never saw more than 5 names..

yo_john117 said:
Scoobes said:
yo_john117 said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Microsoft has by far the worst first and second party studio among the 3 manufacturer.

They don't care about developping games. They closed their best studio, Ensemble Studio without any reason. They turned Rare into a joke.

It will take a very long time until they are taken seriously as a developper.

Nonsense, Halo a lone puts them over Sony in my book.

They closed down Ensemble because they didn't need them. Ensemble's best days were behind them. If MS feels the need to put out more strategy games I'm sure Robot Entertainment would be glad to help.

Rare has played a pretty big roll in the 360 appealing to casual audiences. Something PS3 has been struggling to do. So I'd hardly say Rare is a joke.

It only takes one great game to be taken as a serious develeloper.

Rare is a joke. They went from an universally acclaimed  developper on Suoer Nintendo and Nintendo 64 to a very average developper to xobox, to a bad developper to Xbox 360.Now they are done. They are doing some Wii sport copies that any studio could do. They are dead.

Halo is a big franchise, but Bungie is not even with Microsoft anymore. And the diversity of Sony developpers annilates Microsoft.

Ensemble Studio was better than any studio Microsoft still has. The way they threated them was digusting. They forced them to make a dumbed down RTS for 8 years olds kids (Halo wars) then they closed them eventough it outsold pretty much all of the Rare shovelwares titles.

That's is completely wrong. The best studio MS has is 343 Studios.

Err... haven't they only made 1 game that's a remake of the original Halo? Not that they won't produce excellent game in future (considerring the talent there it seems likely), but they're still unproven when it comes to original products.

Yep they've done the Halo remake and the second Halo Reach map pack (which was so much better than Bungie's 1st map pack for Reach), they are most likely going to make MS the most money since Halo 4 is going to be just massive (and who knows what else they are going to do), and they have some of the best devs from around the world. If you don't think they are the best surely you would agree they have by far the most potential.

Technically Certain Affinity did the Reach map pack and the Halo Anniversary multiplayer maps and Saber Interactive did the engine that allows the switching for Anniversary.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Lostplanet22 said:
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:
investments are always positive but MS's history is not helping. No more Bungie, Fucking up Rare, Closing Ensemble, losing the partnership with bioware and Team Ninja. This generation started good but ends like an dissapointment, not only in the amount of exclusives but also in the quality of the exclusives except turn ten;..but they are cursed and have problems selling their game.

Bungie left, but a lot of the halo team stayed, so no harm. Rare makes more money now than they did before kinect. Ensamble was a money pit, A 200 man studio that made only rts games and all of their other stuff got canned. Bioware was not worth buying with pandemic, EA paid almost 1 billion for them and they still have yet to recoup their costs. Team Ninja Imploded, that has nothing to do with MS. How is turn 10 having trouble selling their games? They constantly sell 4.5 million copies of their game. Forza 4 came out against way more blockbusters than Forza 3 did and still managed to sell 1 million in about a month and a half.

Frank O'Connor, Chad Armstrong, Vic de Leon are the only ones from Bungie,  you also had nathan walpole but he is gone...So 3 = a lot?

Why should I care about Rare making money?  They did not made money when they made all those awesome N64 games?  Again don't care that Ensamble lost money and Halo wars didn't do that bad.  For a gaming perspective Bioware was worth buying for me, Team Ninja should have been bought considering DOA/ninja gaiden were strong IP's...   And turn ten sell mostly of their games with bundles even now Forza 3 is bundled in Europe.  Without bundles their games sell 1-2 million not that great especially not with all those great reviews and hype..

There are over 200 people @ 343, 6 of the 40+ 343 members who worked on halo cea are from bungie, there are 160 more 343 employees, some of them are from bungie.

Names?  It is an popular subject on the Bungie forums and I never saw more than 5 names..

Frank O' Connor

Vic Deleon

Donnie Taylor

Will Christiansen

Dan Callan

Chad Armstrong

Bristow9091 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Bristow9091 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Bristow9091 said:
Basically, you named shovelware, unannounced games, and Halo 4 in that... there's nothing great about anything you've put there so far, you've even listed dev teams that haven't even STARTED making a game yet...

Sorry if I sound like a troll or anything, since I'm really not trying to be, but in my opinion, Microsoft have the worst first party, it's always been like that for me, infact, the only half decent franchise they own is Halo, and I don't even think it's as special as people make out, I mean, sure the multiplayer is fun, but the story isn't anything revolutionary, and for some reason the lack of iron sights bugs me on those games... (But damn if Grifball isn't fun on Reach!)

Well you failed at not trying to sound like a troll. As the title of the thread clearly says that MS is investing in there first party devs like they never have before. So you make yourseldf look stupid with you comment.

Not as stupid as your spelling and grammar ;)

But seriously, I wasn't trying to sound like a troll, and I haven't made myself look stupid, since I'm not trying to force my opinion onto anyone, just because it varies from yours doesn't mean I'm stupid... why don't people get that? So many people on these forums are pretty ignorant and don't understand the difference between a fact and opinion or something...

Saw that spelling and grammar comment coming a mile away. Anyway i was typing kind of quick so no time to read over my post and check fro grammar errors. What ever helps you sleep at night is fine by me.

Yeah lol that was a joke, hence the wink but meh I was half asleep anyway, lol, but surely you have to understand where I'm coming from, you can't call me a troll and say I look stupid just because I have a different opinion, that's all I'm trying to get across to you, but you just don't see to want to accept that my opinion differs, which is odd, but whatever, let's just leave it as a stalemate, shake hands, and walk away from this conversation, lol :)

stalemate? Shake hands? Walk away? What the hell? This ain't no picnic! This is war son! I want you to get your ass back in that battle, and get flaming!

disclaimer: Jay520 shall not be held responsible for any actions that constitute trolling, flaming, or any other illegal acts.

Around the Network
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Frank O' Connor

Vic Deleon

Donnie Taylor

Will Christiansen

Dan Callan

Chad Armstrong

well okay give you this ones wouldn't call those new ones in your listed as ex bungie employees though =p.  one was a tester and the other two worked very short at bungie with an interim contract but okay you get them and I would still not call it a lot...

@Scoobes what I meant was that strategy is a dying genre and having a studio that had around 200 employees specializing in that particular genre doesn't make sense, as the MGS have now become more console centric it would make sense to assume that if they were to make any strategy games, they would be on the console too, and the strategy games that are already here are not faring very well - Red Alert 3(Which was a decent game, not as good as 1&2 but good nonetheless) - sold poorly by the current standards. Civ Revolutions - which again was decent if a bit dumbed down version of the PC games, Supreme Commander - which I personally didn't like. Tiberium Wars - Haven't played that one yet, but the sales are not much better either. Not one of the games above has managed to break a million on 360. And probably several other games that I am missing out on such as the LOTR one.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:

@Scoobes what I meant was that strategy is a dying genre and having a studio that had around 200 employees specializing in that particular genre doesn't make sense, as the MGS have now become more console centric it would make sense to assume that if they were to make any strategy games, they would be on the console too, and the strategy games that are already here are not faring very well - Red Alert 3(Which was a decent game, not as good as 1&2 but good nonetheless) - sold poorly by the current standards. Civ Revolutions - which again was decent if a bit dumbed down version of the PC games, Supreme Commander - which I personally didn't like. Tiberium Wars - Haven't played that one yet, but the sales are not much better either. Not one of the games above has managed to break a million on 360. And probably several other games that I am missing out on such as the LOTR one.

to be fair arround half of those 200 were hired to work on the Halo MMO not stratergy games. And even the below par AOE3 sold over 2 million copies on PC so it's not like Ensomble games didn't sell and they could have been downsized after Halo was canceled and gone back to making profitable RTS games but no MS didn't want profitable PC games they wanted games to push 360 so in the same year they once again told PC gamers that MS still cared and would not be forgetting them they axed their oldest and most successful PC developer who they had just forced to make a console only RTS a genre that never sold well on consoles, as a fuck you to core PC gamers.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

It's obvious where the comparisons are coming from. The OP mentioned MS having the weakest first party, drawing a parallel with the other two big players first party studios. He then mentioned that he thinks MS will be offering the "full package" now that they have expanded their first party, which opened the door for comparisons to be made.

This is an interesting business move by MS. I was wondering how they were going to enter the next generation with such a tiny first party. I figured they might try to cut more deals, enter into more early contracts, on DLC and 6-month contracts for games. That however, probably works better if you are in a commanding position and I thought it would be risky by MS to assume they will be in that position again, and wont be under more pressure from Nintendo or Sony, or both, this time around.

I would not be surprised if MS really jump after the casual crowd next gen, while keeping only a minimum of proven core IP's running to get the hardcore to jump on board. So if most of these studios were developing next gen casual Kinect games, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

As a side note: Remedy doesn't seem like a great purchase from any big publishers perspective I'd imagine. The fans love the games that's for sure, but it took them 5 years to release Max Payne, then another 5 years for Alan Wake, which sold only a fraction of what Max Payne sold. They dither, make changes to engines and game-play and it all takes too damn long.

"So if most of these studios were developing next gen casual Kinect games, it wouldn't surprise me at all."
surprise,http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=137032&page=1
keep going,i'm waiting some people's next action