By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is investing in their first party studios like never before.

This is for the guy with the donkey kong Avatar:

http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/article/gears-of-war-10-million-to-produce-10051350

Gears of War 1 20-30 people 2 years, 10 million dollars. Gears 2 was 20 million about 40 people, 2 years.

Also why is everyone forgetting Firebird? They have been around at least 2.5 years and they will def have a new game out for 2012 and the new xbox.

Around the Network

investments are always positive but MS's history is not helping. No more Bungie, Fucking up Rare, Closing Ensemble, losing the partnership with bioware and Team Ninja. This generation started good but ends like an dissapointment, not only in the amount of exclusives but also in the quality of the exclusives except turn ten;..but they are cursed and have problems selling their game.

Lostplanet22 said:
investments are always positive but MS's history is not helping. No more Bungie, Fucking up Rare, Closing Ensemble, losing the partnership with bioware and Team Ninja. This generation started good but ends like an dissapointment, not only in the amount of exclusives but also in the quality of the exclusives except turn ten;..but they are cursed and have problems selling their game.

Bungie left, but a lot of the halo team stayed, so no harm. Rare makes more money now than they did before kinect. Ensamble was a money pit, A 200 man studio that made only rts games and all of their other stuff got canned. Bioware was not worth buying with pandemic, EA paid almost 1 billion for them and they still have yet to recoup their costs. Team Ninja Imploded, that has nothing to do with MS. How is turn 10 having trouble selling their games? They constantly sell 4.5 million copies of their game. Forza 4 came out against way more blockbusters than Forza 3 did and still managed to sell 1 million in about a month and a half.

Lostplanet22 said:

Wooh! 

According to an interview in OXM if MS hadn't let Bungie leave the top brass of Bungie would have quit anyways taking a lot of people with them. Bungie would have been more or less dead anyways. The devs at Bungie wanted to be independent. 

Rare has made the most games I have enjoyed this gen. None other developer has come close. 

Ensemble was losing money. It's a business. If something isn't earning money you do something to change it. They probably saw that they would get the same benefits of having Ensemble go 3rd party(robot) without any of the cons.

iirc Bioware was a package deal with the crappy Pandemic. I don't care how good Bioware is it wouldn't have been a smart investment at $860Million. Plus I would have lost one of my favorite PC developers 

What were they supposed to do with Team Ninja? They are already owned by Tecmo after they lost Itigaki it was pretty much over :3 

Jay520 said:

It's not really nonsense. When you try to look at it from a hardcore gamer's perspective, assuming Lucas-Rio is a hardcore gamer, then it's quite reasonable for one to make the claim that MS 1st & 2nd party lineup is the weakest. Opinions aside, one can objectively make the case that Microsoft makes the least amount of games for the hardcore gamer. Of course these games are good, maybe better than all of Sony's lineup combined, but for the sake of the argument, objectively, Sony trumps Microsoft in the quantity department.

As far as quality is concerned, that's all subjective. However, if someone makes the claim that Sony's lineup is superior on the basis of quality and quantity, then their opinion is at least backed up by some objectivity, and it certainly shouldn't be deemed 'nonsense'. Compare that with your opinion, which is based solely on quality alone, literally. You say the quality of ONE game trunps the quality AND quantity of the opposing console's ENTIRE lineup. Your opinion is much less objective than Lusas's. In fact, I'd say Lucas Rio's opinion makes a lot more 'sense' then yours, objectively.

Also, I'd say Kinect as a device was a much bigger 'role' at attracting casuals. Rare is the dev of some successful Kinect games, yes, but those games sold more on the basis of being Kinect games, Rare really didn't have to do much. If your talking about standard games for the casual audience, then I point you towards Media Molecule as a Sony dev attracting the casuals as much as Rare.

Well if you're arguing from the perspective of a core gamer, than Nintendo's is arguably the weakest.

Halo is not just one game. This gen a lone we've seen 5 releases of Halo, it'll be 6 releases with Halo 4. No Sony IPs could sell as well with such frequent releases because no Sony IP is as strong. That is why I say Halo trumps everything Sony has. On top of that MS has other great IPs, but I won't even want bother getting into that.

Rare played a role in Kinect's development. They also created the avatars. Their contributions aren't just games. But they happen to be sitting on a goldmine of great IPs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Bungie left, but a lot of the halo team stayed, so no harm. Rare makes more money now than they did before kinect. Ensamble was a money pit, A 200 man studio that made only rts games and all of their other stuff got canned. Bioware was not worth buying with pandemic, EA paid almost 1 billion for them and they still have yet to recoup their costs. Team Ninja Imploded, that has nothing to do with MS. How is turn 10 having trouble selling their games? They constantly sell 4.5 million copies of their game. Forza 4 came out against way more blockbusters than Forza 3 did and still managed to sell 1 million in about a month and a half.

Frank O'Connor, Chad Armstrong, Vic de Leon are the only ones from Bungie,  you also had nathan walpole but he is gone...So 3 = a lot?

Why should I care about Rare making money?  They did not made money when they made all those awesome N64 games?  Again don't care that Ensamble lost money and Halo wars didn't do that bad.  For a gaming perspective Bioware was worth buying for me, Team Ninja should have been bought considering DOA/ninja gaiden were strong IP's...   And turn ten sell mostly of their games with bundles even now Forza 3 is bundled in Europe.  Without bundles their games sell 1-2 million not that great especially not with all those great reviews and hype..

Scoobes said:
NotStan said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Microsoft has by far the worst first and second party studio among the 3 manufacturer.

They don't care about developping games. They closed their best studio, Ensemble Studio without any reason. They turned Rare into a joke.

It will take a very long time until they are taken seriously as a developper.

Nonsense, Halo a lone puts them over Sony in my book.

They closed down Ensemble because they didn't need them. Ensemble's best days were behind them. If MS feels the need to put out more strategy games I'm sure Robot Entertainment would be glad to help.

Rare has played a pretty big roll in the 360 appealing to casual audiences. Something PS3 has been struggling to do. So I'd hardly say Rare is a joke.

It only takes one great game to be taken as a serious develeloper.

Rare is a joke. They went from an universally acclaimed  developper on Suoer Nintendo and Nintendo 64 to a very average developper to xobox, to a bad developper to Xbox 360.Now they are done. They are doing some Wii sport copies that any studio could do. They are dead.

Halo is a big franchise, but Bungie is not even with Microsoft anymore. And the diversity of Sony developpers annilates Microsoft.

Ensemble Studio was better than any studio Microsoft still has. The way they threated them was digusting. They forced them to make a dumbed down RTS for 8 years olds kids (Halo wars) then they closed them eventough it outsold pretty much all of the Rare shovelwares titles.

http://kotaku.com/5157029/so-why-did-ensemble-studios-close-up

I like strategy games as much as anyone, but it's one of the genres that has really decreased in following over the last years, it doesn't make sense to make strategy games when the audience just isn't there, and when you specialize in strategy games.. I hope you're not stupid enough not to guess the outcome of that scenario.

Halo Wars sold on the basis that it had the word HALO in it, just like anything that does sells better than most PS3 exclusives - if you want to play it that way.

I suppose Starcraft 2 selling 1 million in a day doesn't count? Or the fact that as of October 2007 Age of Empires 3 had sold over 2 million copies. RTS games are still pretty big.

Now take into account MW3 selling 10 million copies in the first 24 hours, Halo, Gears et le selling 3 million copies within the first weeks/48 hours, you really get a contrast into how much the strategy genre has become irrelevant in comparison with what is the current mass - shooters and Action/RPG's. Starcraft is a brand like no other, this was the second iteration of the game to be released in the last decade - such anticipation and hype is rarely rivaled.

RTS games are moderate, decently sized but really not that more worth investing in when shooters are considerably more popular. When a studio concentrates on RTS and has practically no RTS direction it could go in, in regards to the MS 360 orientation, you know the studio is just pointless asset at the time.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Bristow9091 said:
Basically, you named shovelware, unannounced games, and Halo 4 in that... there's nothing great about anything you've put there so far, you've even listed dev teams that haven't even STARTED making a game yet...

Sorry if I sound like a troll or anything, since I'm really not trying to be, but in my opinion, Microsoft have the worst first party, it's always been like that for me, infact, the only half decent franchise they own is Halo, and I don't even think it's as special as people make out, I mean, sure the multiplayer is fun, but the story isn't anything revolutionary, and for some reason the lack of iron sights bugs me on those games... (But damn if Grifball isn't fun on Reach!)

Well you failed at not trying to sound like a troll. As the title of the thread clearly says that MS is investing in there first party devs like they never have before. So you make yourseldf look stupid with you comment.

Lostplanet22 said:
Jadedx said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Frank O'Connor, Chad Armstrong, Vic de Leon are the only ones from Bungie,  you also had nathan walpole but he is gone...So 3 = a lot?

Why should I care about Rare making money?  They did not made money when they made all those awesome N64 games?  Again don't care that Ensamble lost money and Halo wars didn't do that bad.  For a gaming perspective Bioware was worth buying for me, Team Ninja should have been bought considering DOA/ninja gaiden were strong IP's...   And turn ten sell mostly of their games with bundles even now Forza 3 is bundled in Europe.  Without bundles their games sell 1-2 million not that great especially not with all those great reviews and hype..

half of sony IP's would be lucky to sell 1-2 million. Thats is pretty respectable number considering the fact GT has owned the Market for racing games and Forza has managed to get some appeal. DOA/Ninja Gaiden were good games i bought DOA 4 and Ninja Giaden 2 and plan on buying Ninja Giaden 3. There games still come out on Xbox so why does it matter? Sure they would be better off if they bought them, but the didn't no real loss to MS. Ensamble studios didn't do much except loss money. I would rather MS buy out Epic games or Remedy than waste there time with Team Ninja and ther IP's

Lostplanet22 said:

Again don't care that Ensamble lost money and Halo wars didn't do that bad.  For a gaming perspective Bioware was worth buying for me, Team Ninja should have been bought considering DOA/ninja gaiden were strong IP's...   And turn ten sell mostly of their games with bundles even now Forza 3 is bundled in Europe.  Without bundles their games sell 1-2 million not that great especially not with all those great reviews and hype..

Halo Wars didn't do bad because its Halo. I guess if they had more interseting projects MS would have kept them around.

In regards to Bioware, look at this way. MS saved about a billion dollars and the 360 still benefits from what Bioware has to offer. Thus far I doubt MS has any regrets about not purchasing that studio.

Forza 3 likely sold 3 million units without bundling. Its also a great bundle title for boosting hardware sales. If you think Halo Wars did well than surely you think Forza is performing well too.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)