By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS Vita games to be 40% less for digital than retail!

Stefl1504 said:
I have the fear that this will cause that a lot of games simply won't be offered in stores anymore since I also prefer the physical copy and so far I have already had a lot of problems getting some PSP games in stores, this could worsen the situation.

With the PSP's great RPGs, you pretty much have to get the titles on launch or get screwed on ebay a year later. 

Around the Network

If this is true its a great way to encourage digital distribution and therefore diminish second hand sales.

Acevil said:
PullusPardus said:

Lets see how much time till Nintendo fans hijack this thread this time around.

Funny, how you bring up Nintendo in PS vita threads, more than Nintendo fans do. 

good point they usually just bash it and call it a day

ot topic this would be great news but we have to wait for an official confirmation to be sure

Rainbird said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
michael_stutzer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Even if that's true, you still need to pay a fortune for the SD cards to hold those games...

The cards are expensive due to the fact that the Vita is sold at a loss. More expensive console and cheaper cards would make no difference. In the end you get what you pay for. 

If you lose the card though, that is another story.

I understand why they are expensive (though $30 for something you can get for $5 is just ridiculous) but my point was that it'll cost quite a bit to have the space to download those games, meaning they aren't really that much cheaper.

You can transfer your games to your PC or PS3 though, so you wouldn't necessarily need the space to have all of your games with you at all times.

Well that's cool. Still undesirable though, having space on the system is just easier. Would 4-16gb of internal memory really of made the vita too much? 

Rainbird said:
Stefl1504 said:
I have the fear that this will cause that a lot of games simply won't be offered in stores anymore since I also prefer the physical copy and so far I have already had a lot of problems getting some PSP games in stores, this could worsen the situation.

It's an advantage too though. For example, it's much easier for developers to create something like a $20 game, because they can sell it digitally, but they would have had a hard time making a profit from it at retail.

Sometimes though I feel that some games are underpriced while some have a not so reasonable price tag, of course some people may feel differently, but I somehow wanted to spend more than 14,90 on Half Minute Hero, and some games  I want to have early, just don't seem worth their money(CoD for example - I always wait for its price to drop), while others do.

Well I somehow hope that a lot of smaller companies will use the online distribution channel to "self-publish" their games and that it gives me the possibility to play games I usually would not be able to get because of the stores not having the ability to unlimitely import games^^

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Stefl1504 said:

With the PSP's great RPGs, you pretty much have to get the titles on launch or get screwed on ebay a year later. 

I know a store that still has crisis core unused on stock ;P talking about great PSP RPGs... how did you know I was talking about RPGs ( I AM terrified)

to good to be true, I could see 15% or 20% but not 40% producing the physical support, packaging, shipping and storing doesn't add up to 40% of the price of a game, well... i don't think so

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Rainbird said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
michael_stutzer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Even if that's true, you still need to pay a fortune for the SD cards to hold those games...

The cards are expensive due to the fact that the Vita is sold at a loss. More expensive console and cheaper cards would make no difference. In the end you get what you pay for. 

I understand why they are expensive (though $30 for something you can get for $5 is just ridiculous) but my point was that it'll cost quite a bit to have the space to download those games, meaning they aren't really that much cheaper.

You can transfer your games to your PC or PS3 though, so you wouldn't necessarily need the space to have all of your games with you at all times.

Well that's cool. Still undesirable though, having space on the system is just easier. Would 4-16gb of internal memory really of made the vita too much? 

the system is already being sold at a loss already this strategy was probably the only way they could sell it at its current price without incurring large losses

Stefl1504 said:
Acevil said:
Stefl1504 said:

I know a store that still had crisis core unused on stock ;P talking about great PSP RPGs... how did you know I was talking about RPGs ( I AM terrified)

Rare RPG titles are really the hardest to get after launch, other genres aren't as hard, (also the PSP is best for awesome selection of RPG titles). Crisis Core is one of the easier one to get. 

o_O.Q said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Rainbird said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
michael_stutzer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

the system is already being sold at a loss already this strategy was probably the only way they could sell it at its current price without incurring large losses

Whatever happened to making money off the software instead of the hardware? 

I know the guys at sony that came up with this strategy are experts, it's their job, so they obviously know they're doing, but it would be nice to know why, because I feel like I'm getting ripped off.