By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS Vita games to be 40% less for digital than retail!

Rainbird said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
michael_stutzer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Even if that's true, you still need to pay a fortune for the SD cards to hold those games...

The cards are expensive due to the fact that the Vita is sold at a loss. More expensive console and cheaper cards would make no difference. In the end you get what you pay for. 

If you lose the card though, that is another story.

I understand why they are expensive (though $30 for something you can get for $5 is just ridiculous) but my point was that it'll cost quite a bit to have the space to download those games, meaning they aren't really that much cheaper.

You can transfer your games to your PC or PS3 though, so you wouldn't necessarily need the space to have all of your games with you at all times.

Wow did you just say PC? Thats a ballsy move by Sony. I mean they went through the trouble of developing custom mem-cards to avoid piracy but you can transfer games to pc XD. Thats the first angle pirates are gonna attack from.

But if this news is true Sony can really use this as a thrump card it seems.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

I don't know about this. I mean you can't really put every single Vita game you buy on the memory card (at least depending on the size you buy, or the money you spend). The 32 GB card can hold 8-16 games (also depending on size), but I know games are not the only thing people will put on the card.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Andrespetmonkey said:
o_O.Q said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Rainbird said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
michael_stutzer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Even if that's true, you still need to pay a fortune for the SD cards to hold those games...

The cards are expensive due to the fact that the Vita is sold at a loss. More expensive console and cheaper cards would make no difference. In the end you get what you pay for. 

I understand why they are expensive (though $30 for something you can get for $5 is just ridiculous) but my point was that it'll cost quite a bit to have the space to download those games, meaning they aren't really that much cheaper.

You can transfer your games to your PC or PS3 though, so you wouldn't necessarily need the space to have all of your games with you at all times.

Well that's cool. Still undesirable though, having space on the system is just easier. Would 4-16gb of internal memory really of made the vita too much? 

the system is already being sold at a loss already this strategy was probably the only way they could sell it at its current price without incurring large losses

Whatever happened to making money off the software instead of the hardware? 

I know the guys at sony that came up with this strategy are experts, it's their job, so they obviously know they're doing, but it would be nice to know why, because I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

"Whatever happened to making money off the software instead of the hardware? "

i would expect if the losses are too high then they might actually to some extent cancel out the gains made by software sales... sony is supposed to be a business not a charity at the end of the day their goal is to profit from thier investment so i at least wouldn't expect them to distribute a product at a loss without some guarantee of profitability... well actually they did that with the ps3 and look at what happened - they lost billions

"I feel like I'm getting ripped off."

its up to you to weigh all of the factors involved and determine if it possesses enough value to make it a worthwhile purchase to you 

So.. when Gamestop posts the prices of the memorycards people are screaming it's not official, placeholders.. but when a random site says it might be 40% cheaper it must be true.... >_>

anyway don't see it happen... I wouldn't know who would take the cut... Sony themself? I'm sure the Publishers won't..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

o_O.Q said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
o_O.Q said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Rainbird said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
michael_stutzer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Well that's cool. Still undesirable though, having space on the system is just easier. Would 4-16gb of internal memory really of made the vita too much? 

the system is already being sold at a loss already this strategy was probably the only way they could sell it at its current price without incurring large losses

Whatever happened to making money off the software instead of the hardware? 

I know the guys at sony that came up with this strategy are experts, it's their job, so they obviously know they're doing, but it would be nice to know why, because I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

"Whatever happened to making money off the software instead of the hardware? "

i would expect if the losses are too high then they might actually to some extent cancel out the gains made by software sales... sony is supposed to be a business not a charity at the end of the day their goal is to profit from thier investment so i at least wouldn't expect them to distribute a product at a loss without some guarantee of profitability...  1st well actually they did that with the ps3 and look at what happened - they lost billions

2nd "I feel like I'm getting ripped off."

its up to you to weigh all of the factors involved and determine if it possesses enough value to make it a worthwhile purchase to you 

@first bolded - they also did that with the PS2 I believe, and look what happened, they made billions. But yeah, I'm sure there is a very good reason for using this strategy. I know it all comes down to making a profit.

@second bolded - Let me rephrase that. If I were to buy those cards I would feel like I just got ripped off.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
So.. when Gamestop posts the prices of the memorycards people are screaming it's not official, placeholders.. but when a random site says it might be 40% cheaper it must be true.... >_>

anyway don't see it happen... I wouldn't know who would take the cut... Sony themself? I'm sure the Publishers won't..

the report came from what was said by a sony spokesperson and regardless looking through the thread what you posted here

" but when a random site says it might be 40% cheaper it must be true"

is just not true most people have said it would be great if it turns out to be true not as you said that it is confirmed

"I wouldn't know who would take the cut"

cost goes into producing game cases, manufacturing the cards to store them, manuels etc... if the rumour is indeed true i would expect that the cost reduction is due to not incurring the costs from the items i mentioned earlier

Hopefully this is true since I was going digital all the way with Vita but, to be honest, I don't think this will happen because of the pressure coming from game stores.
IMO, digital is much better than buying physical copy since you can store a lot of games on a single memory card.

this seems a little too good to be true, though I expect maybe 10%-20% off(30% at the most) but it this is true I'll be a monkey's uncle I would definitely consider downloading games. though it might depend on how big these games are I don't want to sit around waiting it to download these games that obvious be in the gb range(slow internet+impatience=cranky gamer!!!)

I was already planning on buying a lot of games digitally, but if this is true, then I'll likely go digital for the majority of my games. The only benefit to retail for me is box arts which are fairly insignificant. Game panthletes are pretty much useless. Most only contain instructions for basic controls which you'll learn in the game anyway.

I wonder how much memory the average game will consume?

i was going digital anyway.