By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113
crissindahouse said:

nerds lol^^ always against the mainstream thinking their opinion is more important and the only truth.

like i said in this thread i hear classical music like beethoven and so on which some call the best music even if they don't like it, but how can i say a minimal electro track isn't as good as this music? it's just another art of music.

i agree with everything you say damn still droppin knowledge

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

nerds lol^^ always against the mainstream thinking their opinion is more important and the only truth.

Music Nerds, yes, i see no problem in that

Okay, okay. Music nerds etc. I just have to adress one point you made here, crissindahouse; you have to concede that as far as art goes, you can't compare the intricate, technical and wildly impressive works of Beethoven with some teenager making bleats and beeps in Ejay and completes a "song" in thirty minutes.
Or is your point merely badly formulated?

Also, bands like the Black Eyed Peas do not take nearly as long to complete their songs as Metallica, for instance. Now, I'm not saying that production times equals quality but there is often a link there in many cases, be it developing a new car, writing/recording/editing/producing/distributing a song, making a movie, writing a book, making a videogame etc.

Yes, Black Eyed Peas is fine for drunk kids on the dancefloor who only need a melodic excuse to grind against each other like dogs in heat much the same way that Mac & Cheese is fine for said kids wanting a meal with no flare or taste.

This reminds me somewhat of the sales = quality discussion we've had ongoing on Vgchartz since the beginning. The amount of people a product entertains or the sales is in no way a good direct measure of it's inherent quality. Twilight is a good example of this.
The more mediocre something is, the broader the appeal, simple as that.

Mind you, I am in no way condemning other peoples tastes in games or music or movies, I'm simply stating the obvious (above point). Some things cannot be compared (Creedence and Backstreet Boys, one a band with talented men who made music out of their love for it, the other a product of PR people who sold wet dreams to tween girls for the simple aim of making money). If we push this flawed logic ever onwards, one can state, simply by the number of people entertained by it and the frequency of ownership, that farts are the greatest quality entertainment in the world.

Because, as you age, there's always a period in your life where you identify the most with the music, and most people tend to think everything after that just isn't the same. Most people, the cutoff happens when their life starts to shift focus away from music, but sometimes it's just that you identify with a specific period's music and anything else blows.

There's plenty of great music after 2000. In my opinion, the 90s had the LEAST good music, with probably the best music coming from the LATE 90s up through 2004 or 2005. I feel like the music before that (at least back to the 80s) mostly was kinda lousy, and that most music after that is uninspired.

But you know why? Because that was when I was 13-20 - the age-window when most people get the most into music and identify the most with it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

because youre getting old

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Okay, okay. Music nerds etc. I just have to adress one point you made here, crissindahouse; you have to concede that as far as art goes, you can't compare the intricate, technical and wildly impressive works of Beethoven with some teenager making bleats and beeps in Ejay and completes a "song" in thirty minutes.
Or is your point merely badly formulated?

Also, bands like the Black Eyed Peas do not take nearly as long to complete their songs as Metallica, for instance. Now, I'm not saying that production times equals quality but there is often a link there in many cases, be it developing a new car, writing/recording/editing/producing/distributing a song, making a movie, writing a book, making a videogame etc.

Yes, Black Eyed Peas is fine for drunk kids on the dancefloor who only need a melodic excuse to grind against each other like dogs in heat much the same way that Mac & Cheese is fine for said kids wanting a meal with no flare or taste.

This reminds me somewhat of the sales = quality discussion we've had ongoing on Vgchartz since the beginning. The amount of people a product entertains or the sales is in no way a good direct measure of it's inherent quality. Twilight is a good example of this.
The more mediocre something is, the broader the appeal, simple as that.

Mind you, I am in no way condemning other peoples tastes in games or music or movies, I'm simply stating the obvious (above point). Some things cannot be compared (Creedence and Backstreet Boys, one a band with talented men who made music out of their love for it, the other a product of PR people who sold wet dreams to tween girls for the simple aim of making money). If we push this flawed logic ever onwards, one can state, simply by the number of people entertained by it and the frequency of ownership, that farts are the greatest quality entertainment in the world.

Agreed!

NotStan said:
rakugakist said:

I agree that 90's music is better, but there is still good music out there. But I like Fallout Boy, so I probably lost all credibilty.

Indeed, I could count their "better" songs on one hand :p

Lol. The heart loves what the heart loves.

Well to be fair, no one is going to be listening to Black Eyed Peas in a few decades while other good singers will have evergreen hits forever.

Those songs we remember from a certain decade are usually the best songs from that time, and therefore we remember such times very fondly.

For example if you go on youtube, a lot of big chart buster songs from the past are ignored however really well liked songs (but got popular over time) have a lot of views.

There are loads of great albums from great bands from 2000 onwards.

The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound is my favorite album of the zeroes
Arcade Fire - Funeral, Neon Bible, Suburbs are all fantastic
The Killers - All three albums are great, Brandon Flowers' solo album as well
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out
Cold War Kids - Mine Is Yours

And I could go on for quite a while

Maybe you're just overlooking the good stuff. Of course, mainstream music nowadays is not what it was used to be, but at least, if you dig a little, you can find some little jewels.

And IMO, as a very mainstream artist now, Adele has done a pretty great job in soul/blues/groove pop music. I like Foster the People too, and their song "Pumped Up Kicks" is always playing on the radio.