By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113

Yeah, however I would like Rock to become more mainstream...

Back in the day Rock songs use to be #1 hit songs...

The only Rock Song to hit #1 on the Billboard hot 100 was Nicleback's really famous song "How you Remind me"

Funny thing that is likley the only Nickleback song everyone likes lol...

Around the Network

Autotune is the devil incarnate. I can't believe how people make money on their so called "music" nowadays. Artists like Black Eyed Peas make me shudder at the future of the industry.
Also, one can go "mainstream this, mainstream that" but the truth is; mainstream is where the money is at and where the vast majority of budgets and time get spent and generally dictates where the industry as a whole is going.
Just look at the simplification of recent games and gaming genres for an example of how mainstream crap dictates the overall direction of an entire industry (in case you were pondering the argument of "there's room for both").

lordmandeep said:
Yeah, however I would like Rock to become more mainstream...

Back in the day Rock songs use to be #1 hit songs...

The only Rock Song to hit #1 on the Billboard hot 100 was Nicleback's really famous song "How you Remind me"

Yep, up to about the 90s rock was just as popular as pop music (or in some decades was pop music).  It seems around 2000 or perhaps mid 2000 that for some reason rock just went away (at least for the mainstream).  A lot of the rock bands from the 90s that I enjoyed so much were apart of mainstream rock / mainstream music.  I blame pop music this decade for the decline in music.  This is probably why my thread title was so harsh against 2000+ music.  Pop music from this decade left a very sour taste in my mouth.  It just seemed that even though most pop during the 90s (especially late 90s) was annoying and bad that the mainstream rock overpowered it.  Now, pop music has took a giant dump on the music industry.

Yeah we all hate the mainstream, but some of the best songs in almost every genre where some of the most famous.

Stuff like In the End and such from Linkin Park was not only good but was mainstream.

Old Rock stuff is more popular then new Rock even on Youtube.

Linkin parks In the End has over 135 million views over 4 different videos....

EVERYTHING after 2000 sucks, it's a fact.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
MrT-Tar said:

The Kooks were formed in 2001 and are probably one of my favourite bands:

The first song I wasn't really diggin too much till about the middle and it kind of dropped off towards the end.  The second song is pretty mellow too (which isn't a bad thing but nothing like a mellow Pink Floyd or Pearl Jam song to me).  The band kind of reminds me of a young Matchbox 20 or something like that (laid back music such as Dave Matthews Band).  Nothing that will get your blood pumping but something to kick back and smoke weed to.  Thanks for the first good suggestion that I have listened to.  Now, I'll try a few more in this thread.

The closest you'll get to Pink Floyd by a modern band is Porcupine Tree, they are one of the best bands I've ever heard. They formed in the 90s but a lot if not most of their work is from the 2000s. I suggest you check their live albums Anesthetise, Arriving Somewere, Coma Divine. Here some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxsWPPihUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QS3c_Tei4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSi0SWz-u68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNyuTBdAh8

Mummelmann said:
Autotune is the devil incarnate. I can't believe how people make money on their so called "music" nowadays. Artists like Black Eyed Peas make me shudder at the future of the industry.

Couldn't agree with you more about Black Eyed Peas.  I have never liked them and I find all of their songs annoying (especially that terrible tonight is going to be a good night song, and the semi remake or whatever the hell you want to call it of I've had the time of my life).  When they played at the Super Bowl (I obviously didn't watch the half time show) I kind of wish the stadium would have imploded on them (all the fans in the stadium being safe but somehow the only casualties would be them).  That might be taking my dislike or hate a little too far but they serve no purpose in my life.  I suppose some people enjoy them but if a guy from the age of 12-60 told me he liked them I would just laugh in their face (which I actually did to one of my cousins who tried to stick up for them once).  Little girls can listen to them all they want but I'll pass.

I am just surprised they actually let Tom Petty play at the Super Bowl a few years back.  I almost thought people came back to their senses music wise...  Then they had the Black Eyed Peas...

freebs2 said:

The closest you'll get to Pink Floyd by a modern band is Porcupine Tree, they are one of the best bands I've ever heard. They formed in the 90s but a lot if not most of their work is from the 2000s. I suggest you check their live albums Anesthetise, Arriving Somewere, Coma Divine. Here some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxsWPPihUk

Just started listening to the first song and for some reason the intro reminded me of Mad World (which I heard on Donnie Darko).  Anyways, I do feel a little Pink Floyd type vibe.  Nice laid back music that has good melody and lyrics.  Thanks for the suggestion on this band.  It isn't like I want or expect bands to sound like my favorite bands from the past but I would like something that would nice just as nice or better (just like most of the classic rock bands that I love).  It just seems most rock has lost all of its structure (such as the melody and lyrics don't even really fit right).  It is hard for to explain since my music terminology is poor but I hope you get my point.  Just pick any CCR song for my example.

Creedance Clearwater Revival is great, many great iconic songs like Fortunate Son, Proud Mary, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Born on the Bayou and Bad Moon Rising.

I always thought they also made Spirit in the Sky lol...

lordmandeep said:

Creedance Clearwater Revival is great, many great iconic songs like Fortunate Son, Proud Mary, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Born on the Bayou and Bad Moon Rising.

I always thought they also made Spirit in the Sky lol...

I also like their version of I Heard it through the grapevine a lot.  I think the guitar, beat, and lyrics for the song sound the best with CCR at the helm.   10+ mins of a kicking ass jam.